• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

"Who Says We Don't?" African-American Ski Club Talks Love of Skiing and Need for Diversity on the Slopes

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
There was a history of skiing in the PNW published a few seasons back. Cool book, but zero mention of the Rokka ski club founded by Seattle area Japanese Americans in 1936, and is the oldest Asian ski club in the US. The club disbanded during the war years and many of its members sent to internment camps. Post war, the club re-formed and people car pooled up to the local hills to ski, teach, and learn. The club is still very active today. I'm sure it was an unintentional oversight, but its omission is really unfortunate and telling of a greater cultural blindness. There really is more to it than just 'accepting plastic'.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think there are plenty of minority families with the financial resources to ski. There are other social variables that limit exposure and willingness to take that money to ski country instead of spending it where their other friends spend their time and money.

Of course there are. I wasn’t talking about them though.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My "people" come from farmers on shares in the Dakotas. Poor folk for sure.
In poor light, colors disappear.

I have been born in the poorest EU country, in the dark times of communism when even if you had money for a road bike or a pair of skis, or a real nice fishing rod or reel, there was nowhere to buy them as they just did not sell such stuff. These were products of the bad capitalist world and they were banned from import.
I remember vividly however my burning, all-consuming desire to go fast on road and on the slopes. A fire that would not be extinguished and that would not let me sleep at night. A fire that alters the reality itself.ogsmile

Let me just tell you that where there is such drive, there are ways.

P.S. In the EU resorts where I ski, people of colour are precious few and it always brings joy to my heart seeing Asian or African American guys on the slopes.

Except for Japanese. I do not like Japanese. They are far too good skiers. For the same reason I do not like Germans. And Austrians.

Last edited:

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In Michigan we've had the Jim Dandy Ski Club since 1958, the oldest black ski club in the US (and perhaps the world). It's a very active club, their yearly event at the hill I patrol often brings a couple of hundred people. It's a great group, they work hard to give young folks chances to try the sport that they wouldn't otherwise have. A buddy of mine was President for a long time.

James

Out There
Instructor
We used to have a guy run the Nastar course who was a member of the SnoBurners of Brooklyn. One of the older clubs around.
His health went south though.

8278145D-88DA-42AA-8B4A-7494C5B4303D.jpeg

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
The nubians have been to Magic and Bromley before and they are truly a delightful group of folks. I will never forget the bromley day as the weather was crappy but you'd never know it looking at them as they were laughing and having the best time.

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
A gear library in Leadville CO helps to lower barriers to outdoor sports and increase diversity---for skiing, snowshoeing, mountain biking.

Evan's Dad

Evan's Dad :)
Skier
Uhhhhhh, every ticket counter I've encountered at XYZ resort takes plastic no matter what the color of the hand that's handing it over...

Yeah, but that's not really the point. There are all kinds of ways African Americans (and other non-whites) get discriminated against in this country by others and are left feeling unwelcome. I don't know about anyone else but if I were stared at and heard jokes made about me and my family or ignored by clerks or waiters or followed around the ski/pro shop you would probably not feel too good about coming back. I've literally seen all of these things first hand skiing and golfing with some black friends in the DC area which is incredibly diverse. It hurts

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yeah, but that's not really the point. There are all kinds of ways African Americans (and other non-whites) get discriminated against in this country by others and are left feeling unwelcome. I don't know about anyone else but if I were stared at and heard jokes made about me and my family or ignored by clerks or waiters or followed around the ski/pro shop you would probably not feel too good about coming back. I've literally seen all of these things first hand skiing and golfing with some black friends in the DC area which is incredibly diverse. It hurts
I think you need to find a different place to live then because it sounds like a very racist area. Not sure where you go that people "stare" at someone of different color but I travel the country with my work and don't find people staring at other people. When I am in a ski shop or a store and there are people of different color I don't hear anyone telling jokes about them. I've never seen someone ignored by a clerk because of color. I understand there are racist people in this country of all colors but this exaggerating bullshit needs to stop because it just divides people. Racism should be dealt with, but continually airing 1 bad incident out of a million good ones does nothing for this country. Please tell us which ski shop followed people of color around so we can email them our complaints.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier

I think you need to find a different place to live then because it sounds like a very racist area. Not sure where you go that people "stare" at someone of different color but I travel the country with my work and don't find people staring at other people. When I am in a ski shop or a store and there are people of different color I don't hear anyone telling jokes about them. I've never seen someone ignored by a clerk because of color. I understand there are racist people in this country of all colors but this exaggerating bullshit needs to stop because it just divides people. Racism should be dealt with, but continually airing 1 bad incident out of a million good ones does nothing for this country. Please tell us which ski shop followed people of color around so we can email them our complaints.
I dunno, I'm not black, but I'm not white, and I've had this experience in almost every state in the US. There's a lot of "othering". You get used to it. Doesn't make it okay. In recreational pursuits, I've experienced this in ski shops, on the hill in USSA and PSIA clinics, being involved in USSA and FIS races of all levels up to NorAms, at tennis clubs/shops/tournaments, in golf clubhouses, pro shops, and on the course, in specialty and big box shops for hiking/backpacking/camping, among others.

Is it because of my race? I don't know. But many times more than one I've had people be "surprised" I speak English. So .... there's that.

My wife (who also is not white) and I have had a hard time getting people's attention in many places of business, especially where the pricetags tend to be higher (and you need assistance to actually buy anything. We have a hard time getting people to show us more expensive things in furniture stores, home improvement stores, car dealerships, etc. Most try steer us towards less expensive shops and less expensive options. I can't be 100% that it's race-based, but, we're dressed as well as anyone else and we've only lived in relatively wealthy areas, so ... you tell me. We get followed around a lot in specialty realtors where you pick your items and bring to a cashier, even when we repeatedly let staff know we don't need assistance. I've been in these same stores with my white friends, with the same employees, and at the same level of business (often on the same day), and the difference is jarring.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow. I’m sorry. ^^^ That is terrible. I’ve witnessed some crappy treatment of one of my former teaching partners. I was not treated the same way and could see no cause for the differentiation, so it was likely race related.

in SoCal, there has definitely been an increase in diversity on the slopes, but it does not reflect the actual diversity in the region. I suspect that there are a lot of reasons for that, outside of race.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Some posts have been deleted as this was going down a general political/hot topic trail.

As you know we talk about all things skiing and this topic is important to us as a skiing community as we grow.
Please keep it on topic as it relates to skiing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Evan's Dad

Evan's Dad :)
Skier

I live in Washington DC, not exactly the whitest area in the country. It's a beautiful and diverse city and metro area. The instances have happened at local rural ski areas and local golf courses. The thing is, I wouldn't have seen it if I weren't with black folks. Being white, I never experienced these kind of things because they never happen to me or most white folks so you just don't know. Here's a few examples just to give you an idea:
  • At a ski rental shop in a rural area my black friend was with his wife waiting to get her set up with rental skis, the clerk ignored them and helped other people that came in after them. This happened twice then they grudgingly helped them after he objected.
  • At a golf course in Montgomery County Maryland, I showed up for out tee time and my 3 black friends came in a little late. The pro (I think not realizing I was a part of their foursome) looked at me, rolled his eyes and said "typical". I have been late for my tee time many times, but I have never experienced this.
  • At another Montgomery County golf course, our same foursome was playing behind a slow group, however the marshal continued to ride US and not the problem foursome. When I objected he threatened to throw us off the course. I was so upset and embarrassed for my friends I almost lost it, but they just said that this stuff happens all the time and you have to just deal with it.
  • On the 18th green at another local course, the greenskeeping staff turned the sprinklers on while we were finishing our round. I'm not sure, but given my years' experience playing with this group, I don't think it was an accident.
These are just what I witnessed personally. To sum it up by borrowing from an old ad campaign: Being white has its privileges.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is it because of my race? I don't know. But many times more than one I've had people be "surprised" I speak English. So .... there's that.

Come to Europe. Everyone will be happy to see ya. Beers are on me. ;)

If someone says something, I will punch him in the face for ya. Hard. But that ain't gonna happen. Europe is a nice place.

Slasher

Getting on the lift
Skier
Come to Europe. Everyone will be happy to see ya. Beers are on me. ;)

If someone says something, I will punch him in the face for ya. Hard. But that ain't gonna happen. Europe is a nice place.

I appreciate the sentiment you're trying to convey, but this is not accurate. As far as ski resorts go, the Europeans I've seen in Wengen, Verbier and Avoriaz are similar racist.

Don't get me started on everyday casual or systemic racism in the many European cities I've lived in. The main difference between Europe and USA is the much lower rate of gun-violence, whether inflicted by authorities or between civilians.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I appreciate the sentiment you're trying to convey, but this is not accurate. As far as ski resorts go, the Europeans I've seen in Wengen, Verbier and Avoriaz are similar racist.

Haven't been to Verbier and Avoiraz but Wengen? Difficult to believe. Wengen is a village and during the winter is almost like being in London, and I am not talking about Holland Park if you know what I mean.
And in Italy where I spent most of my winters before the Covid I have never EVER seen any such thing.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After reading this thread, I did some searching and found this club, associated with NBS:

This made me happy. For awhile, I was hoping that I wasn’t becoming part of a sport that catered only to privileged white people. I want the face of the sport to reflect the diversity of our country. I have seen more Black families on the mountain this year, which is awesome, and probably partly due to clubs like the one I referenced above.

I am privileged in that I’ve had the experience, more than once, of being the “other” in countries where I looked different and didn’t speak the language (and no one else spoke English), and the culture was very different. (These were African and Asian countries). I know what it’s like to enter a place and have everybody turn around and stare at you, sometimes with hostility. I wouldn’t trade those experiences for the world. It gave me a glimpse of what it feels like to be a minority in some places.

Now when I see minorities in mainly white areas, I make sure to smile and say hello. That’ll be easier when we aren’t wearing masks anymore.

Last edited:

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'd like to personally thank everyone for sharing their honest thoughts and participating in this thread. It's difficult, almost impossible to verbalize the sentiments as I read through this. We live in a time whereby the spotlight is on the racial quotient. It's hard for minorities to watch and openly discuss as Whites grapple w/ the concepts for better or worse. The context and shared paradigm is just not developed enough for those conversations to achieve the depth that is needed w/in a public forum. We are in the midst of an extremely slow process that will take generations to solve. Step by step, progress happens... and the hope is that we will get there one day. :beercheer:

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I'd like to personally thank everyone for sharing their honest thoughts and participating in this thread. It's difficult, almost impossible to verbalize the sentiments as I read through this. We live in a time whereby the spotlight is on the racial quotient. It's hard for minorities to watch and openly discuss as Whites grapple w/ the concepts for better or worse. The context and shared paradigm is just not developed enough for those conversations to achieve the depth that is needed w/in a public forum. We are in the midst of an extremely slow process that will take generations to solve. Step by step, progress happens... and the hope is that we will get there one day. :beercheer:
Absolutely correct. We have come a long way in the last 3 or 4 generations but we still have a long way to go. But I'm hopeful that this could be a thing of the past in just a few more generations.