• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Who would you like to ski like?

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
"Myself" is a perfectly fine answer, if a bit obvious.

But outside of skiing like yourself, which sorts of skiers do you see on the hill that you would like to ski (more) like?

I got to say, for me it's always the park crew guys when they are cruising laps outside the park. It just blows me away how they can combine very high edge angles with stylish buttering. And they can also haul ass, and they recover really well if something goes a little sideways. More than the obvious ex-racers and big mountain chargers, I envy the park crew kids play-cruising groomers skill set.

Last edited:
TS
Hankj

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm going to give an honorable mention as well to Marcus Caston. He's the Return of the Turn video guy. I love how that guy skis, particularly when he gets loose and shambolic and back seat and still steers through everything with flair. I'm not sure exactly what his (and the people he skis with) style/category is, but the skill level is obviously really high, and the fun factor looks dialed up to 11

Last edited:

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Well, I mean...isn't Ligety the obvious answer to this?
There's a parent in my kid's ski program who ski raced at one of the top colleges in the US.

Yesterday she was standing on the hill, then skied away easy and looked great. Then went started carving turns a bit and I thought "I'd like to do that - maybe I can get to that." And then she just opened it up with these massive high-edge angle swooping turns and my jaw just dropped.

I skied over to another parent and said "Did you see that" and he said "Yeah. Wow."

Not quite like this (of course) from Ligety but similar vibe in the progression from "Nice" to "Whoa that's good" to "OMG!!!!"

TS
Hankj

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
Patrick Baetz
Looked him up on YouTube

I used to snowboard with a skier who had a somewhat similar high power pendulum with well articulated hips style. The neat thing about his skiing was that It worked over everything. Steep groomer, to shallow pow, to cut up, to the cat track - he essentially never slowed down and could just bang turns like that over everything

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There's a parent in my kid's ski program who ski raced at one of the top colleges in the US.

Yesterday she was standing on the hill, then skied away easy and looked great. Then went started carving turns a bit and I thought "I'd like to do that - maybe I can get to that." And then she just opened it up with these massive high-edge angle swooping turns and my jaw just dropped.

I skied over to another parent and said "Did you see that" and he said "Yeah. Wow."

Not quite like this (of course) from Ligety but similar vibe in the progression from "Nice" to "Whoa that's good" to "OMG!!!!"

Without a shadow of a doubt Ted Ligety is the most impressive skier/racer I have ever seen in my life. And my childhood hero was Pirmin Zurbriggen-that just for context.

Tomba was a bomb, Herman Mayer was a juggernaut, Bode was great, Hirscher was "that-makes-no-sense" good, Odermatt now is fantastic...but Ligety? He was just OMFG, BLOODY HELL!!! :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek:

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Skiing like others, is not something I think about or aspire too. For years this old guy has been at a content plateau for my ability level and enjoyment needs.

Much liked the new above M Caston video from MaryJane and continue to want to get out there. That noted, here about Tahoe, there are many Little Dipper talented bump skiers due to the large local population base that is key for great shapes. It could be a mini bump skiing Mecca if the resort had the sense to promote it so which they sadly never have. Slope gradients and mogul forms are quite similar to those at the larger acreages at MaryJane.