• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why buy when you can lease?

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Kind of feels like splitting hairs but a new boot does have advantages....I also feel like as adults we tell our kids to get in the equipment and stop complaining. May times the kids are right about these problems. With a new boot you'll know that the boot will fit his foot right from the start.
Thanks. My fear is the first five or ten days him being very unhappy in the new boots.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah - he was on Völkl just like dad this past season :crossfingers:

But can I ask about new boots for kids? I'm not sure my boy can deal with the time for packing in the liners of new boots. He's nine years old and fairly small, so I'm thinking lightly used might be better. Any thoughts on that from anyone. He's probably going to ski 20 to 30 days.
We used to go to ski “shows” that had new previous season boots. I had my son stand on a piece of paper, and I traced his foot. Then once looking at boots at the ski “show,” I googled the boot to find out the last. As long as the width was good, I didn’t worry about buying a bit big because by the time the liner had “packed,” he had grown a size. We skied every weekend from Thanksgiving through Easter. This worked until he was 13 and his feet grew 3 sizes in one year. Damn testosterone!

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
That's how we did all our kids ski equipment 32 years ago when the oldest was 3. Skis and boots turned in every year for a new size. The local shop that did it had 100s of kids in the program.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks. My fear is the first five or ten days him being very unhappy in the new boots.

Either way is fine. Just make sure you get a knowledgeable person at the shop to help with the fit. They will know what to do.

Given the volume of seasonals at some shops, they will offer their default model skis and boots. Go early and take the time to obtain the proper equipment.

The place we went to was good the first year, but subsequently was either too busy or didn't care enough to provide good service. We moved on

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That's how we did all our kids ski equipment 32 years ago when the oldest was 3. Skis and boots turned in every year for a new size. The local shop that did it had 100s of kids in the program.
My old shop in Philly used to do thousands of junior leases. At the end of the season, the skis would fill a 40' container stacked like cord wood.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
We have rented equipment for our kids at Ski Barn for years. We bought boots when their feet stopped growing but continued to rent skis. Currently, my daughter has her boots and is probably in her last ski rental year. Renting equipment for the season has been a no brainer. There was one season when we exchanged boots 3 times for my son (with binding adjustments)and there were no extra charges. We like showing up at the ski area and skiing, not spending time in a sweaty rental room, filling out forms while in the bowels of the ski area.

We also make sure that our kids hold their skis very tightly when they are sitting in the back seat, you know, for safety reasons.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We just buy. Its way cheaper than being chronic adult ski shoppers. Some shops have a reasonable buy and trade in option

Sometimes we sell them, other times we give them away to friends. A couple times their feet are screaming in March because the boots are too small. They use the skis for 2 years.

I will bring my boy's old Langes to the shop to see if they are ok for my daughter; she has funny feet. She really liked the used Jr Soul Rider skis I got for $200 when her brother broke his binding. The Lange boots are good if they fit and way better than any lease product I have seen. Some of the lease stuff is ok for beginners but not so great.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As a parent you have to plan ahead and have you kids spaced about 2 to 3 years apart. That way you can pass down equipment and then sell it.

The secret is known that when you plan to have kids.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just as a PSA: Not all lease programs are created equal and not all purchases are a better (or worse?) value.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lease program! dang, I recall times it'd be great to just buy the equip and lease the kids ....

I know more than a few times I'd love to trade em in for a current years model.

;)

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you have families with younger kids than yours, buying is actually pretty cheap. My daughter's starter ski and boots (68CM) just went to another one of her cousin, that's the 4th season in row those skis are being used. The skis originally costed $50. I just wax and sharpen them once/twice a season. They are still in better shape than rentals.

Does Ski Barn in NJ still offer free season rental to kids under 6? I remember they used to do that.

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
Probably going to lease boots for my son this year. I’ll lease the nicest boots possible but he doesn’t care as long as they’re comfortable. I just think his feet are in a growth spurt and I can exchange them mid season. Going to do it next month. Should be $75 well spent.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
We used to talk about a rule of thumb where if one skied something like 10 days or less a year then rentals were cheaper than buying skis. I never did the math, but something like this seems correct talking about daily or multi-day rentals, not season rent/lease. Marry your boots, date your skis.

Add to Tim Hodgson's post #12...when the rental shop is sold out of boots that fit a customer so they rent them boots so big that no correct movements can transfer to the skis.

Sponsor

Staff online