• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why Cant Your Ski Boots

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
The point of doing the canting is to "align" the leg over the center seam of the boot
I've long been aware of the desired knee position business, it was the knock-on effect aligning the leg has on the foot that interested me. @coupdevill in his video talks expressly about foot pressure as well as knee position.
My own experience of canting feeds into this interest. Many years ago I had a sole planed by a bootfitter so much I had pressure on the sides of the feet, spending the whole time skiing with a slightly inverted foot, so my experience of the thing doesn't quite mesh with the theory.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Many years ago I had a sole planed by a bootfitter so much I had pressure on the sides of the feet, spending the whole time skiing with a slightly inverted foot, so my experience of the thing doesn't quite mesh with the theory.
I had a bad cooked peice of beef once ... that doesn't mean I swore off steak.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had a bad cooked peice of beef once ... that doesn't mean I swore off steak.
How many more times do I have say I'm interested in what you're doing with canting?

It's more like I joined a discussion about steak to ask whether the plate would be flat, and was told the aim was to tilt the table and the steak without adjusting the angle of the plate, and on asking how that's done, was told only to think about the steak. That might result in a better meal, but it does nothing to improve my understanding of the whole American diner experience.

gabrik

Putting on skis
Skier
I will give it a shot... The foot is already inside the hard boot so tilting the foot cannot help here. Canting's objective is not to change the foot, but everything above the foot and to create a flat foundation and to get the knee above the foot. It is to get the center of the knee over the center of the foot by changing the angle under the boot.
View attachment 219737
So this skier the right boot is "out" 1.5* ( I just pulled a degree out of my a$$ for this example). For them to get the right ski onto edge for a left hand turn, it has to get from that 1.5* out to 0* THEN then can get the ski onto edge for the turn. By canting the shell, 1.5* under the outside of the shell on the right, that brings the knee over the center of the foot, now they are at 0* so that left turn will react as expected. For the right turn the BEFORE image , that ski would be nervous and always wanting to turn to the right, thus will even that out too.
Great example, it was exactly my problem, but I was 2*-2,5*

gabrik

Putting on skis
Skier
I've long been aware of the desired knee position business, it was the knock-on effect aligning the leg has on the foot that interested me. @coupdevill in his video talks expressly about foot pressure as well as knee position.
My own experience of canting feeds into this interest. Many years ago I had a sole planed by a bootfitter so much I had pressure on the sides of the feet, spending the whole time skiing with a slightly inverted foot, so my experience of the thing doesn't quite mesh with the theory.
Canting should be last, no first option in the setting and them it makes sense and is effective.

Sponsor

Staff online