• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why do Europeans prefer a slim cut for their apparel? Does it serve a function or is it just form?

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
I'm thinking a slim jacket and pants can serve some form of aerodynamic function. As for Americans, a baggy ski suit is obviously more comfortable. But it's probably more of the hiphop influence.

Happy to hear from Europeans in here. Are there other European specific factors why Euros prefer a slim cut?

CascadeConcrete

Out on the slopes
Skier
Why do Americans prefer a baggy cut? I say this as an American. You say that as if baggy is the default, but I think we're at least as weird as the Euros on that front.

Personally, I tend to prefer the middle ground, "goldilocks" cut. And Euro brands are generally closer to that for me, although I'm pretty skinny. Even in American brands, ones that have trimmer cuts like OR and Arc'teryx (I guess they're Canadian, but let's say North American) generally work better for me than ones with more casual fits like Patagonia. And don't even get me started on anything actually intended to be baggy...

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
R

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
How about resort conditions?

Wet and humid resorts with variable conditions are better suited with layers thatcan be shed. This would necessitate a baggy suit.

While with dry resorts, skiers can make do with slim cut insulated jacket and pants?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
If anyone's tried on the men's Elevenate line from Sweden, they've got it completely dialed... for US college basketball players. :roflmao:

Oddly, the women's line seems much more Arctryx-y normal.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
How about resort conditions?

Wet and humid resorts with variable conditions are better suited with layers thatcan be shed. This would necessitate a baggy suit.

While with dry resorts, skiers can make do with slim cut insulated jacket and pants?

There's wet snow in Europe as well. It's a big place.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Are we spitballing here or real experiences?

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Function vs Form.

Slim cut looks better. Baggy is more versatile (you can fit different layers inside).

I have 2 jackets. One fit "right". Looks much nicer. The other one is one size bigger than the "right size". Guess which one I wear more often? The "too big" one! :geek: Not because I like its look. But for practical reason. When it's cold, which is often the case in the northeast, I need the extra room to put insulated layers inside. Or when I don't know what the weather will do, I take the too big jacket just to have the options.

Sometimes I take the slim fit one and was complimented for the style. But in all honesty, I value the functionality of the too big jacket more than I value the compliment on the style of the slim one.

That's because I'm an American. ogsmile

Seventh

Booting up
Skier
The slim cut stuff always reminds me of Pee Wee Herman.

But then again, with a BMI of 25, I am probably quite plump by European standards :roflmao:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There’s slim jackets and pants, and then there’s the stretchy stuff, which I never see in the PNW, but saw a lot of at Aspen. Sometimes zebra stripes or shiny gold or silver. Not sure if that’s more of a Euro thing, but it definitely is more about fashion than function. Probably not about aerodynamics, as the people wearing them often aren’t skiing much at all, and when in motion not going fast enough for aerodynamics to matter.

OTOH, a lot of the baggy look is the influence of snowboarders and parkrats. I have a Burton AK jacket that fits like it’s two sizes too big (well it actually is two sizes too big, but even if correctly sized for me is still pretty loose) and FlyLow shell pants that are a way looser fit than my Patagonias. You often see hoodies worn rather than a shell, just a very casual style.

But try on a Spyder, way more form fitting (for better or for worse). Most brands know who their target market is/are.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, and what’s the deal with people wearing football jerseys as an outer layer for skiing?

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
There's a difference between a wider cut (baggy design) and oversized suits (just take a bigger size). I have a fairly slim cut shell suit with plenty of space to put several layers underneath. The baggy cut is mostly a style thing, IMO. 'Dude suits' I call them. I am hardly a 'dude' (nor am I a slim athlete, nowhere near), but I don't see why one would get a roomier suit than one needs to. If it's well designed, layers will fit under, movement is great and still, there is no unnecessary flappiness going on.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am an Euro and definitely prefer looser cut. Not baggy but not slim either. Enough to put on 2-3 layers beneath it. Sort of regular.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Yeah I'm not a slim fit guy either. Not that slim, for starters... But I do think that what American brands call 'regular' fit, is more or less 'loose' fit according to European standards.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Top: Pro football coaches in the US. Bottom, pro football coaches in Europe:
f585b3205da80a31634313691082bd74.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online