• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why do Europeans prefer a slim cut for their apparel? Does it serve a function or is it just form?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Rec sports fashion often follows pro sports function, right? Europe is full of holiday-ers, of course, but they tend to be more into the rando and racing worlds over there, and those athletes wear tighter clothing. I know that I don’t really like touring in floppy pants (no, I don’t use tights lol), and of course if you are actually mountaineering, you don’t need sloppy cuffs catching on crampons or ropes. Backpacks don’t fit over baggy jackets very well, etc.

So I just figure it’s the same thing as any other sport, where rec participants take serious ones as their models: chubby dudes in “sponsored” bike kits, 3.0 tennis players in Serena’s dresses, and so on.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Because many European's are slimmer than their American consumer counterparts?

I'm going to call out the other elephant in the room.. They're thinner partly because nearly twice as many of them still smoke cigarettes.. Americans were thinner during the days when we all smoked... but there was also less frutose corn syrup crap in stuff... still say smoking...

As for tighter fitting ski clothes... there is a function... less drag..

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Football man, please. As in foot----ball...See?

If God didn't want us to use our feet for...stuff, he'd have made us all mermaids.
Rec sports fashion often follows pro sports function, right? ...
So I just figure it’s the same thing as any other sport, where rec participants take serious ones as their models: chubby dudes in “sponsored” bike kits, 3.0 tennis players in Serena’s dresses, and so on.

Powder High

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yes indeed! Way too many here in the US are HUGE and nothing but baggy gear will contain them.
They tend to produce FAT offspring too...(have a look at the size of grade school kids waiting to transition from mommy's car to the school bus).

Really. I don't want to offend anyone here, especially since I'm new, but that's the truth.

Fortunately Colorado, where I usually ski, has the fittest and slimmest people in the nation. I think it's due to the outdoor orientation of the state. Go to the flatlands where it's hot and humid and there's nothing to climb, hike or ski, and you get a bunch of porkers.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Football man, please. As in foot----ball...See?

If God didn't want us to use our feet for...stuff, he'd have made us all mermaids.
Feet are for running (or getting crushed in ski boots) and directing travel or in the case of "football" falling over, grabbing and rolling around in agony after getting within 5 feet of another "footballer"

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Feet are for running (or getting crushed in ski boots) and directing travel or in the case of "football" falling over, grabbing and rolling around in agony after getting within 5 feet of another "footballer"

Damned Neymar ruined it I see... :roflmao: :roflmao:

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier

world cup foosball.jpg

World Cup Foosball

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Long live the FIFA Mafia! Is it World Cup yet!?!? :popcorn:
Hahah, no I mean, just look at it:

It really doesn't get any better than this. Diego is moving like in a dream. Pure magic!

Last edited:
Reactions: JCF

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I hardly think football (soccer) should be viewed as the pinnacle of anything, really. Dramaqueenery, maybe.

And you call yourself Dutch....tut tut tut....Ajax and Eindhoven fans would want a word....

Americans don't know what true fandom is, I tell ya...

Last edited:
Reactions: JCF

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I am very Dutch. I just don't associate with some of the moronic factions within the Netherlands. Nor do I think football should be an example for anything. Look at those hooligans they call 'fans' and 'supporters'... And on the pitch, all whimps with oversized egos and pay cheques.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am very Dutch. I just don't associate with some of the moronic factions within the Netherlands. Nor do I think football should be an example for anything. Look at those hooligans they call 'fans' and 'supporters'... And on the pitch, all whimps with oversized egos and pay cheques.

1648911009716.png

Man...please stop. It is football we are talking about. FOOTBALL! This is the thing we live for in the summer! Well, besides fishing and cycling that is....

Just imagine:

"Ahí la tiene Maradona, lo marcan dos, pisa la pelota Maradona, arranca por la derecha el genio del fútbol mundial, deja al tercero y va a tocar para Burruchaga... ¡Siempre Maradona! ¡Genio! ¡Genio!

Ooooohhhh booooooyyyyy...

Last edited:

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
View attachment 165266

Man...please stop. It is football we are talking about. FOOTBALL! This is the thing we live for in the summer! Well, besides fishing and cycling that is....

Just imagine:

"Ahí la tiene Maradona, lo marcan dos, pisa la pelota Maradona, arranca por la derecha el genio del fútbol mundial, deja al tercero y va a tocar para Burruchaga... ¡Siempre Maradona! ¡Genio! ¡Genio!

Ooooohhhh booooooyyyyy...
Ha ha ha Buuuuurrrrrrrrr...u.....CHAGA!!!!!!!! Dicho por Andres Cantor en los viejos tiempos!!!!!!! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAALL!!!!!!!! :golfclap:

He also used to call Chilavert........ Chila... Chila....Chila........ Chila............. VERT!!!!!!!!

Cantor....... Loved that guy!!!!!! Best sports announcer EVER........ if you understood Spanish! American TV has no clue as to how to cover a futbol game.... zzzzzzzzzzzz............I always watch World Cup in Spanish on Latino TV

Sponsor

Staff online