• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why do people ski slopes/terrain way over their limit?

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So I met up with an ex racer friend & coach by random in lift lines when skiiing with a buddy yesterday, we were lapping our local resort, which has 1 black run. It also has 6 green runs, 3 blue, and 6 red. We looked at people skiiing and could tell many were struggeling bigtime, and with a high chance of not enjoying themself very much. The learning curve is probably negative for a lot of people.

Given the other nicer and more mellow runs we have, why does people insist on going on the black one? its say a 60 second run on a decent fast paced 18M ski carving nicely down without the need to ever bleed speed (more grey than black) . Yet people would use 5-10-15 minutes down, and then talking in lift line how horrible it was. Needless to say it was "skied out" pretty fast. at the rollers before steeper sections people would gather, and at one point the entire hills width was coverd with no way to pass.. itsnarrow ish there at 30 meters, but.. yeah just weird. I could get it if it was to "get down" to your car or something, but we have multiple easier, and some still pretty steep slopes you can choose.

I find it very hard to enjoy myself, and work on teqnique theese days, as I'm basicly dodging people loosing control and just going random ways. Only good thing is since this is europe. nobody will chew you out for actually going fast in between them, but its not ideal for anyone.

Is it some sort of "right of passage?"

I'm intrigued and annoyed, because its such a nice run, I was there for first chair (10th) and a few hours before giving up.
For some reason this is much worse this year, then ever before, but lift lines and capacity are limited to season pass holders, so even on the more mellow runs, lift lines are not that long, not is slopes over crowded. last year I could do 10000 meters of vert there easy, even on a sat/sunday, 0 chance this year.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I think there are a few factors (in any combination)... Take your pick:

1. Overestimation of own capabilities
2. Underestimation of the terrain
3. Not at all aware of own capabilities
4. Not at all aware of terrain difficulties
5. Peer pressure
6. Death wish

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's one of the most mystifying questions in life along with "Why we are here", "Are we alone in the Universe", "Is there God", "Does a Buddha exist or not exist after death" "How many angels could dance on the head of a pin"...I am afraid there is no answer to this...or at least I haven't been able to find one no matter how hard I try....

P.S. The OP described my experience so far this season, to the friggin dot, it is like we are skiing the same mountain. This is what I have to deal with day in day out, exactly this.

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

5. Peer pressure
6. Death wish

7. Burning desire to take hero pics "On The Black" for the Insta feed
8. Delusion they will learn faster on more difficult slope.
9. Plain and simple idiocy

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
10. Yah, I skied "X" today. (Usually the 20 something, that was on rental equipment, in the bar at après.)

I get the feeling that we're lucky this year and not seeing a lot of that. Because of Covid people in Canada aren't traveling as much, so newbies aren't really around this year. Lot less people on the hills here in Quebec.

edit - Johnny V. beat me to it.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I think there's also a bit of FOMO for some people. As a relatively infrequent skier I want to make the most of my days on the hill so I'll still occasionally over-terrain myself, especially the first couple of days out before I get my ski legs back. I'll start out with the intention of taking it easy and sticking mostly to groomers. That usually lasts a run or two or until I see an irresistible mogul field. I will then proceed to flail my way down it. Sometimes it's the slap in the face I need to get back in the right place on my skis, other times it's just a complete ass whooping that sends me back to the groomers with my tail between my legs. I'm sure I'd be better off spending the first day or 2 on groomers and doing drills but unless the number of days I ski increases drastically I don't see that really happening.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
You never know where the line is until you cross it. Do you ever try something you are not sure you can do in life? It's about stretching yourself. Some people like the challenge, the accomplishment, etc. Being able to make it down some challenging terrain *is* a victory to some.

Only good thing is since this is europe. nobody will chew you out for actually going fast in between them, but its not ideal for anyone.
Re-read that part, sounds like you are part of a different problem. As you stated, "...going fast in between them..." is something we've all done, yet we all know is a risk.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Very few people have an accurate perception of their own abilities -- i.e., there is an obvious lack of knowledge as to what constitutes "good" skiing. Making it down without falling is the only judge of success. Ask many of the "flailers" and they will probably tell you how awesomely they did.

Add to that the common refrain of "the only way to improve is to challenge yourself". Again, without a knowledge base of the "standard" ski school progressions or drills, the obvious way to "challenge yourself" is to try harder terrain.

And finally you factor in the cost of a ski vacation (especially here in the states) -- "I paid the same price as everybody else, I should get to ski everywhere".

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
There may be fewer people in the lift line or not, but there are for sure fewer people on the lift. Those people that would be on the lift are on the hill.

I really get annoyed at people lining the top lip of a steep section. I'm not so bad now that I'm old and have acquired more patience, but it used to really piss me off; I really hated having to slow down to avoid collisions.
If people want to ski slowly, they have less steep hills for that!

Reasons:
The need for speed is one reason people ski steep runs. (edit: Maybe same as "adrenaline junky")
Probably the one most likely for most of these over-terrained folk is the feeling of accomplishment after successfully doing something widely acknowledged to be difficult. Some people just want to impress themselves.
I'm sure there are some folk who like to brag too.

Deathwish? Nah, those folks are skiing the permanently closed terrain, that chute behind the patrol shack or tight trees at SG speeds.

Last edited:

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm mystified myself but I think I get it. People feel that they want to challenge themselves whatever their skiing level. That's one of the great things about skiing. If it's your first day or your if you've skied for many decades, we're all trying to improve and develop new skills. Getting down a slope without falling is a challenge for many. As a kid, I'd come home and proudly announce that I only fell five times all day. My style & technique were unimportant. How fast I went, how steep the trail was, and how many jumps I hit were the high points. I had a ball and had stories to tell about my ski day on a bump of a ski hill. These rental ski warriors are having a ball and will have stories to tell as well. No better way to have a great day than sliding down a hill and laughing about it.

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
sheesh, you guys never get in over your head with anything just for grins? Kinda sad. Lighten up a bit, have some fun. One can tell the demographic of this site trends geriatric, and I'm pushing 50....

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
Very few people have an accurate perception of their own abilities -- i.e., there is an obvious lack of knowledge as to what constitutes "good" skiing. Making it down without falling is the only judge of success. Ask many of the "flailers" and they will probably tell you how awesomely they did.

Add to that the common refrain of "the only way to improve is to challenge yourself". Again, without a knowledge base of the "standard" ski school progressions or drills, the obvious way to "challenge yourself" is to try harder terrain.
^^ I think you are spot on!

Errand Wolfe

Ski like Stein
Skier
Maybe it's overall experience level?

Even as an intermediate skier I see runs in the lift and think that looks pretty easy but years of experience has taught me that it's always steeper and bumpier on the ground than it is from the lift.

Same thing goes with hiking and topo maps, it takes much experience to interpret on the ground reality from aerial/map view.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
with a high chance of not enjoying themself very much.
How do you know they weren't enjoying themselves? This comes down to: "We judge others on their actions and ourselves on our intentions".

I have less of a problem with people over terraining themselves that over terraining someone else.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier

5. Peer pressure
6. Death wish
7. Burning desire to take hero pics "On The Black" for the Insta feed
8. Delusion they will learn faster on more difficult slope.
9. Plain and simple idiocy
10. Yah, I skied "X" today. (Usually the 20 something, that was on rental equipment, in the bar at après.)

11. Variation of peer pressure: got persuaded to ski the run by a friend or significant other who misjudged the other skier’s ability

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've gotten into situations where it looked great from the lift, it was good at the top, but it was difficult just below and once you're committed. It usually happens when bumps look great from the chair but are rock hard and irregular once there. It could be that they skied a run fine yesterday but the conditions changed overnight from soft snow to overly firm. Or, they could have just taken a wrong turn in Albuquerque. Not everyone was born with a pair of skis on their feet.

Sponsor

Staff online