• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why do we ski?

Jimski

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Before I took up skiing (at age 53), my winter exercise was primarily: (a) indoor gym (treadmill, bike, elliptical, weights); and (b) layering up and going for a run outside. I enjoyed the endorphin high, that post-exercise relaxed feeling, but would count the days until spring, when the outdoor tennis courts opened and the biking trails thawed out.

I still do the above in the winter, and now also tennis (in a bubble), but skiing has opened up a whole new world for me:
  • I love being on the mountain -- the trees, the views, the altitude, the crisp air.
  • I love the sound of my skis on the snow, and the wind rushing past my ears.
  • Skiing combines both endurance exercise and "fast twitch" muscle exercise.
  • Few other sports provide opportunities to either meander through the trees or down a narrow, "forgotten" slope, or to crank it up on a steep run for an adrenaline rush.
  • Skiing requires some focus -- you can't be thinking about your inbox back at home or the office.
  • Also, for me, skiing (like tennis), is still a work in progress; I enjoy the challenge of improving my skills.
  • Finally, I love the camaraderie -- I skied for years with my kids and now with the Ski Talk group.
Sigh... one week until my vaccine appointment!

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For this feeling

Why.jpeg

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
THE TURN!!!

Every single sport that I truly love is focussed on the turn (alpine skiing, mtb and high-wind windsurfing).

Secondary: Not being a pilot of anything, I at least think I ski because it is the closest I can come to flying without leaving the ground (much).
Second that!!!!
Having been an aircraft pilot, I second that! It's the closest I can come to my youth love!

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can't argue with the sublime feeling of the G-Force in an arc. But for me, it's the mental aspect of being totally focused on the moment - being completely in the present. When I'm skiing, all I'm thinking about is the transition from the turn I'm in to the turn I'm about to make. Nothing else is clouding my mind.

Expertly put sir, kudos!

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
To prove I'm better at it than you :P

Really though, something fun to do with good friends and other new friends you just met out on the lift..

Also some good solo time soul searching doing the closest thing there is to flying.
COM or center the ball?

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
THE TURN!!!

Every single sport that I truly love is focussed on the turn (alpine skiing, mtb and high-wind windsurfing).

Secondary: Not being a pilot of anything, I at least think I ski because it is the closest I can come to flying without leaving the ground (much).

Let me just say that, for me, as much as I LOVE the locked heel turn, THE TURN is tele. YMMV.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
The first time skiing I thought, "At what other sport can I be this rotten and yet still have the time of my life?"

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
To prove I'm better at it than you :P

Really though, something fun to do with good friends and other new friends you just met out on the lift..

Also some good solo time soul searching doing the closest thing there is to flying.

"the closest thing to flying" YES- A good run all hooked up is like a Long Skydive....

Tahoma

Cascade Crud Mover
Skier
Many reasons already stated (chasing the perfect turn, the feeling of accomplishment when that next skill you've been chasing clicks in, the ability to focus on the matter at hand and let the rest of the world fade away). But a lot of the joy of skiing (alpine and Nordic) is being out in the beauty of winter, and embracing the season rather than running from it. Nordic for me is wonderfully meditative. Alpine is exhilarating. And the "good tired" feeling after each is great!

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty much love any outdoor activity that is challenging, get exercise, exhilarating, and preferably getting away from crowds and the everyday rat race.

Sponsor