• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why do we ski?

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
Skiing is meditation. You must be all in physically, mentally, emotionally. Time and worldly concerns evaporate for a few minutes multiple times per ski day. 100% focus means losing yourself in the moment.

Skiing is creative. You must constantly draw your unique line on complex topography, making conscious and unconscious microdecisions as the terrain, conditions, and light change.

Skiing is social too, though there are endless other ways to be social.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
To paraphrase one of my favorite quotes... The mystery of skiing is not a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.

Experience the surroundings, the sensations... the moment!

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is good! But what is best in skiing?...asked the old Mongol Chief Racer in the dimly lit, smoke filled chalet somewhere in the Dolomites.

-The open black slopes, fast skis, cord under your feet and the wind in your face!...answered the young captain.

-WRONG! ...bursted out the Mongol chief.

-Tony, what is best in skiing?

-To crush your mates' times, see them laying in the dust behind you and hear the lamentation of their women!

-THAT IS GOOD!

:ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:

Last edited:
TS
Carl Kuck

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
And two more related comments (paraphrased where needed):

Phil Edwards from Endless Summer: "The best skier on the mountain is the one having the most fun..."

Dude surfing in Lake Michigan from Step Into Liquid: "It's all about the stoke..."

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Phil Edwards from Endless Summer: "The best skier on the mountain is the one having the most fun..."
I don't agree with this just because they are better doesn't mean they are having more fun. Even on a day that I might take a fall, I am still having fun. One thing I have to add is the fun of skiing has changed for me over the years. When I was young and single the social aspect of skiing was the fun part, as a family man it was skiing with my family and friends, and as a senior it is continuing to do something that I love for me entire life. It has also been a way to be active in the winter when most have no activity. I like to fish in the other seasons and skiing keeps me outdoors year around.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I don't agree with this just because they are better doesn't mean they are having more fun. Even on a day that I might take a fall, I am still having fun. One thing I have to add is the fun of skiing has changed for me over the years. When I was young and single the social aspect of skiing was the fun part, as a family man it was skiing with my family and friends, and as a senior it is continuing to do something that I love for me entire life. It has also been a way to be active in the winter when most have no activity. I like to fish in the other seasons and skiing keeps me outdoors year around.

" "The best skier on the mountain is the one having the most fun..."

Read that sentence backwards, Uncle-A

"The one having the most fun is the best skier on the mountain"

That skier is most likely you

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I appear to have been born to ski.

My parents didn't ski until they were young adults, moved to North Conway to be in the mountains bought an inn and never left. The had me and my siblings on skis at an early age. Back then 4 or 5 was when most of us started.

I grew up in a country inn that catered to skiers: families, ski bums and all. During the summers the old folks from the city would continue a century of tradition by staying all summer to escape the heat of the cities.

I watched ski films in the dining room with the guests. As a youth, I served hot chocolate and tea, cookies and cake at 4:00 after setting the fire in the fireplace. I got rides to the ski area with guests; the ski area was my 'baby sitter'. I remember hanging out at the lodge at the top of Cranmore listening to the Beatles (I am the Walrus), Stones (Paint It Black) and Doors (Light My Fire) and other classics of the late '60s while drying out clothes and warming up around the wood burning stove.

Racing. Powder. Carving. Slarving. Touring. Cross country. Nordic jumping. Ballet.

I ski because it is what I was brought up doing. I continue to ski because it is a wonderful sport and I can't imagine not skiing. It is social, yet individualistic. You can venture all over a mountain in all kinds of weather and experience all sorts of adventures in the doing. It is my life.

IMG_20200412_130017830_crop.jpg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
" "The best skier on the mountain is the one having the most fun..."

Read that sentence backwards, Uncle-A

"The one having the most fun is the best skier on the mountain"

That skier is most likely you
It would have been nice if I was the best but I was never the best skier on the mountain, but I always had fun. Now that is a literal translation of the statement, the way you mean "The best skier" was the one having the most fun. I guess the term "The Most Fun" is subjective, who is to say what is the most fun. Anyway I have fun when I ski and that is all I care about.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I appear to have been born to ski.

My parents didn't ski until they were young adults, moved to North Conway to be in the mountains bought an inn and never left. The had me and my siblings on skis at an early age. Back then 4 or 5 was when most of us started.

I grew up in a country inn that catered to skiers: families, ski bums and all. During the summers the old folks from the city would continue a century of tradition by staying all summer to escape the heat of the cities.

I watched ski films in the dining room with the guests. As a youth, I served hot chocolate and tea, cookies and cake at 4:00 after setting the fire in the fireplace. I got rides to the ski area with guests; the ski area was my 'baby sitter'. I remember hanging out at the lodge at the top of Cranmore listening to the Beatles (I am the Walrus), Stones (Paint It Black) and Doors (Light My Fire) and other classics of the late '60s while drying out clothes and warming up around the wood burning stove.

Racing. Powder. Carving. Slarving. Touring. Cross country. Nordic jumping. Ballet.

I ski because it is what I was brought up doing. I continue to ski because it is a wonderful sport and I can't imagine not skiing. It is social, yet individualistic. You can venture all over a mountain in all kinds of weather and experience all sorts of adventures in the doing. It is my life.

View attachment 128875

What a wonderful childhood you've had, Doug.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
See my signature.

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yesterday I had the best day of the season. As I drove to the mountain I bemoaned the fact that I could still be home in bed.
Stopped for gas on the way up in my ski attire, the gas station attendant said he would much rather be boarding than working.
I arrived at Timberline at 0802 and the parking lot had more cars than I expected but it is spring break for Washington schools after all.
Had a couple cups of coffee and at 815 or so, I started booting up and gearing up for the morning. 19F and very light winds were forecast for the start of my day. At 855 I started my first run of the day.The ski was a vivid blue, the air was crisp and the grooming was impeccable.
THIS is the reason I got out of bed . Not a bad reason at all ! :)

Attachments

• 20210409_091959.jpg
    20210409_091959.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 25

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
I do love the building Gs of a fast carved turn, but the feeling of flying off of a jump or cliff with a soft landing on a good pow day is what does it for me. The last two seasons I have battled some low back pain, but I can't stop jumping off everything I can find. Even when it hurts I still go back for more. There is an addiction there I am sure, but I don't want to cure my addiction to air.

Skiing is also the best way for my family to all participate together, in an activity we love, and at a level that challenges each of us.

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
....getting away from crowds and the everyday rat race.

That was my initial reason - but I might as well throw that out the window given the s**tshow its become. Now I keep going to justify spending all that money on ski gear piled up in the basement.

Reactions: Tex

Sponsor