• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why is it so hard for resorts to have a decent policy for cafeteria tables?

WynnDuffy

Putting on skis
Skier
We don't eat at the ski resort cafeterias very often and every time we do, it reminds us why we don't. They're crowded, there is never an open table, but there are a million non-skiing moms with packed lunches who have a table big enough for 8 people by themselves. If you ask, they're almost invariably saving the seats (and likely for a family that is out on the slopes, not in line). So you spend forever mindlessly walking around until you decide to eat standing or sitting against a wall.

How about:
  • Get picnic tables and put them in long rows. This implicitly encourages sharing tables and any open range of seats is fair game. IIRC, Sugarloaf does this.
  • Or take a lesson from golf: "singles have no rights". One person can't hold a table by themselves. Mom takes half the kids, then Dad takes the other half. Or *shudders* don't claim an open table until you actually have food.
I admit this is not a huge deal, but hey, it's the off season.

CascadeConcrete

Out on the slopes
Skier
A lot of resorts (basically everywhere I've been) do have policies that prohibit this sort of behavior. There are normally only select areas where packed lunches are allowed and saving tables is generally prohibited. But they're rarely enforced, unfortunately.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Tremblant's top mountain lodge has 2 floors. Downstairs are the main washrooms and the "boxed lunch" area. So if you bring your own lunch, your downstairs. That leaves upstairs and minimal walking for the buying public. You can get soup, sandwiches and drinks downstairs. On the north side "boxed lunch" is in a permanent tent structure with long cafeteria (ie school) tables and chairs.

At one time, Tremblant had a couple of staff dressed in umpire/referee shirts. They would find you a table. Now it's hoover over the table till that party leaves. Will admit, even though we couldn't eat inside this year, getting tables wasn't an issue.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I've often been irritated by this at Killington summit lodge. The views are excellent and you've got soccer moms wearing uggs sitting with her laptop in a prime spot. We usually just go to the bar but have struggled to find seats before and this is often an issue.

There should be some policy/enforcement over this.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Simple solution......ask or just sit down. If I see a table with vast numbers of open chairs and no equipment suggesting that people are using but just not there I have no problem asking if I can sit with my daughters for a break or for lunch. Most people are cool.

However, at times lodges can be about survival of the fittest and you have to be willing do what's necessary to be comfortable. For me that means sharing, sitting, without asking. This drives my kids nuts but tables are public domain. It's a jungle out there!!!

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
If there's nothing on the chair, the chair is not reserved. Should be a helmet, jacket, or gloves to indicate these people are really in the building and about to sit down.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
@surfsnowgirl ......you used to be from Fairfield county. I'm surprised by your passiveness to procure seating!!!!

I may live in the country now but the Fairfield county girl comes out when need be. Not as much nowadays since we rarely need a table these days. We do usually go to the bar but always manage to find seats when we want them. I do try and be nice before shark mode sets in. It's still annoying that seat hoarders exist though. I've no issue with plopping down and sharing a table with someone. 30 minute time slots were the rule this past season at our main local mountains. It would be great if that continued.

Good to hear from you @wallyk

Last edited:

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
The issue is aggravated by another related issue. Skiers have lots of gear to deal with, especially on foul weather days. All resorts I've been to have paid lockers, and usually not many. Most visitors don't use the paid lockers because they are expensive and or expect they are already filled so instead leave gear in their vehicles even if that requires a long walk. Resorts could alleviate the gear on tables for hours issue if they had a whole lot more keyed lockers in the lodge area, even outdoors, to store gear either for free or cheaply just to cover locker maintenance costs. Maybe a couple bucks say. Then they might then have a no gear on tables unless occupied policy.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Mt. Rose had tables limited to 30 minutes this season due to the Vid. Only people eating could sit there. They had a person assigned to the entry to the table area who passed out a little card with the time by which you had to leave. Also, signs saying "Helmets and gear don't save seats." Early on in the season, if you didn't have a pass you couldn't be in the lodge.

On a normal year, however, HOLY SMOKES! When the racer kids rolled in there was no room in the Slide side lodge. This year that lodge was closed except for restrooms; I don't know what the racers did.

I think the 30 minute thing should continue, as well as not just sitting at a table during peak hours in your Uggs while playing on the computer waiting for your family to come back.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Mt. Rose had tables limited to 30 minutes this season due to the Vid. Only people eating could sit there. They had a person assigned to the entry to the table area who passed out a little card with the time by which you had to leave. Also, signs saying "Helmets and gear don't save seats." Early on in the season, if you didn't have a pass you couldn't be in the lodge.

On a normal year, however, HOLY SMOKES! When the racer kids rolled in there was no room in the Slide side lodge. This year that lodge was closed except for restrooms; I don't know what the racers did.

I think the 30 minute thing should continue, as well as not just sitting at a table during peak hours in your Uggs while playing on the computer waiting for your family to come back.

You were lucky. We were limited to 15 minutes and no food or drink. Warm up only.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
there was a system this year at Whistler which I thought worked quite well. The covid sized crowds probably made it easier than a normal year.

at entry reception you were given a chit indicating zone and number of a table, sized for your group, no table hunting required. .
when you left, you put the table card face down, staff knows you've left, cleans up and electronically notifies reception table is ready for the next.

It was also suggested to limit your time in lodge to 45 minutes. Not sure if anyone enforced it, but suspect it discouraged most of those who park all day.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
I've often been irritated by this at Killington summit lodge. The views are excellent and you've got soccer moms wearing uggs sitting with her laptop in a prime spot. We usually just go to the bar but have struggled to find seats before and this is often an issue.

There should be some policy/enforcement over this.
I'm hoping the new K1 Lodge will help with this. 2022-2023 season...hopefully. For now, the Bear Lodge albeit, a bit run down is much easier to get a seat at the cafeteria or bar. I used to like the Vista Deck, now called the Brat Haus, for a Verrito and Long Trail best.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
The issue is aggravated by another related issue. Skiers have lots of gear to deal with, especially on foul weather days. All resorts I've been to have paid lockers, and usually not many. Most visitors don't use the paid lockers because they are expensive and or expect they are already filled so instead leave gear in their vehicles even if that requires a long walk. Resorts could alleviate the gear on tables for hours issue if they had a whole lot more keyed lockers in the lodge area, even outdoors, to store gear either for free or cheaply just to cover locker maintenance costs. Maybe a couple bucks say. Then they might then have a no gear on tables unless occupied policy.
I hear you Dave, but honestly, in my experience here in Ontario, it's more about I'm reserving my table with my crap, not I need to stash my gear. Twice I've had words with people and when I get to having words it's generally go-time for me. They backed down but what a miserable entitled attitude. And great example for the 11 year old watching. It's embarrassing, it's childish, and it's very un-Canadian. Or maybe it's not as passive-agressiveness spreads... Drives me crazy.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
In normal winters (not this one obviosusly), there has always been plenty of space midweek at the Killington lodges. I usually would go upstairs in the K1 lodge or the large room in Snowshed. The Peak lodge is always busy during the luncy rush due to limited size and the views on clear days.

Weekends are another story. Hint: eat early and ski during the 12 to 1 lunch hour.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Jeez guys and gals: my answer is you just sit the f down and if the entitled person complains in a crowded situation when the "others" aren't actually there, ask them if they like sex and travel. I just override the selfishness by taking a seat, and don't let it bother me. If we all did it, there'd be no problem whatsoever.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid