• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why Look bindings?

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Not too long ago Attack was preferred, I guess for the in style and still desired low profile.

Firstmost the Looks are more expensive which is indicative of quality. Secondly, they are not Markers which hacks can't seem to get to function. Thirdly they come in 14 and or 15 din so overweight old people can dial that din up way beyond spec because they used to race in high school, or perhaps for the logically superior materials (my sub100 lb kid busted a worm gear screw on an other brand 11 demo). There is a body of thinkers who purport the Looks are technically superior and they love the color coordination options. The chartreuse in particular are very easy to click into even with a big chunk of ice on the heel lug.

Its like being 45 years old which I am, not quite 50, definitely not 39.
Actually I like the Pivot 15 because I want to ski it at the DIN 6 setting. And I can just twist out at the lodge, while never pre-releasing on the hill. I want the all metal binding so it will still function 10 years from now and feel as solid as it does new.
Snow/ice on the bottom of a ski boot? You must have lost your mind. :nono: I clean the bottom of my boot for ANY binding prior to clicking in because I actually want the binding to perform as expected.
I'm not sure what your rant is about but it certainly isn't based on the bindings performance. You can ski on whatever you like, if LOOK bothers you
there's lots of other choices.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
I’m not aware of a ban on discussing the body part binding. Though threads can be locked and individuals banned when it heats up.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There is a body of thinkers who purport the Looks are technically superior and they love the color coordination options. The chartreuse in particular are very easy to click into even with a big chunk of ice on the heel lug.

:ogbiggrin::ogbiggrin:

Well, it is almost impossible to say No to a pair of Forzas, ain't that right? Understated, low key elegance.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Actually I like the Pivot 15 because I want to ski it at the DIN 6 setting. And I can just twist out at the lodge, while never pre-releasing on the hill. I want the all metal binding so it will still function 10 years from now and few as solid as it does new.
Snow/ice on the bottom of a ski boot? You must have lost your mind. :nono: I clean the bottom of my boot for ANY binding prior to clicking in because I actually want the binding to perform as expected.
I'm not sure what your rant is about but it certainly isn't based on the bindings performance. You can ski on whatever you like, if LOOK bothers you
there's lots of other choices.

Ok, my bluff was easily called, tough crowd. All metal is better than less metal. No ice on the boots here either. Happy skiing on the binding of choice.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In fact it is likely the wings the heel piece mounts to increase the odds of preventing lateral heel release.
That, and the heels rotate the wrong direction. A bit of lateral force and the heel rotates a smidge ensuring you’re not going out that way.

James

Out There
Instructor
I don’t get the “all metal”. My Pivot 18’s are not all metal in the heel.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes! Why is that freakin’ so hard?? Pole tips in plastic, plastic loses every time.
Look s like a rat chewed it.
We have been begging them to put a metal cup like on SPX.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Someone above said it is about trust and that is true. Skiing over 50 years and worked in shops for 18 years I trust two bindings Looks and Tyrolia both have served me well. I have skied several other bindings they just don't do it for me like Look and Tyrolia, I am not saying the others are bad I just haven't gotten the trust factor from those manufacturers. The good part about Looks is I can feel comfortable on a Look that is several years old and I don't get from others.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I had a bad experience with the Marker system binding on my V-Werks RTM many years ago. Got cut off by some beginners on an advanced run and had what I would call a slow fall and delayed release of the binding that resulted in a partial calf tear and 4 weeks of no skiing while I healed. As a result I tried Look Pivots on my next ski, but just did not fall in love with them and found them difficult to put back on in deep snow. Really like the Tyrolia Attack 16s and Salomon STH2 16, these are probably my two favorite bindings right now, though I have recently acquire a ski with Marker Jesters and those seem to work well. I also have Warden's on my Laser AX and new SR95 and both seem to be solid. Ironically the only binding I seem to avoid these days are the Look Pivots. Regardless of the binding making sure they are properly dialed in is key.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I really like the Look Pivots, but the heel doesn't play well with my Dalbello Lupo Pro HD boots. The heel of the boot has a bit of a flared rubber section that runs into the rivet holding the heel to the turntable. It makes the boot inconsistent with stepping in and starts to mar up the rubber. I guess I could trim the boot but at the time the toe piece (dual/wtr) also wasn't compatible with gripwalk so I just replaced them all with Tyrollia Attacks. Still debating if I should try the Pivot 15 or just go with Attack 16's for my new Shaggy Ahmeek 115's for this year.

James

Out There
Instructor
guess I could trim the boot
Years ago I worked with a guy who had a dune buggy. When I dropped him off once he showed me how he was in the process of cutting the outer tire lugs down with a sawzall so they fit in the fenders.

TS
Rdputnam515

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate them.

yeah I routinely Use the old pole bang/binding scrape to remove snow (think old alpine boot soles) just seems then newer boot designs like to hand onto snow. Even if only small amounts. Also seems multi norm bindings are more prone to issues with even small amounts of snow stuck on em.

seems like as always preference is king. I don’t have any real issues with my wardens but wanted some input on looks tech.

people still pationate over bindings lol.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Imagine if you damaged your car just to get in or out of it!
Like this? Jewelry :doh:

0FAA4C6A-9A90-4313-A5ED-27509D82F64C.jpeg

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Why isn't there a home baked aftermarket kit for this?

@XSki 's cool solution. Not metal, but it's serviceable:

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online