• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Codger

Booting up
Skier
I’m curious as to why you speculate women ski weeks are common at so many ski areas but men weeks seem nonexistent. Don’t you think men would enjoy the camaraderie of skiing with other men and getting top level coaching/ instruction?

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Men have no problem joining any organized ski workshop thingy on their own; some women get intimidated by the male oriented, bro brah competitive nature these thing can devolve into. So to get more of these women skiing, many mountains organize women only groups to encourage a less aggressive more sisterly bonding type of learning experience. I think it's great and color me jealous when those women groups get instructors like Donna Weinbrecht for a week.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yes, We women like to be with women, we are more forgiving and help each other in Ladies only lessons and we can talk freely w/out being Mansplained.

Men-- LOL You don't need men only lessons do you? Some men will drive around for an hour and not ask for help, would you really look for a men's only class? I've seen some men also get pretty intimidated when they are with Women that can ski -Taos Ski week the men that were w/me and my 3GF's quit our class cause we skied harder than they did- so there is that too.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Some women prefer female instructors and feel there is a better understanding of the differences in balance that women experience. Personally, I’ve never found any difference. So long as I feel comfortable in the group and in asking questions, I’m good. Sometimes, if a group is male dominant, it can be annoying to just ski fast all the time and compete. I’ve experienced that a bunch of times, but I’m mouthy by nature so it doesn’t last long.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Sometimes, if a group is male dominant, it can be annoying to just ski fast all the time and compete. I’ve experienced that a bunch of times

You musta been hanging out with the wrong bunch. My ski week groups have always been mellow and laid back. On top of that, we like to ski groomers slowly. Perhaps cherry picking skiers at the ski off also helps to eliminate the undesirables.
I think TSV should really have a Dudes only ski week program like the Women's. The free wine would definitely mellow most out. And with the fashion show for dudes, we won't be an embarrassment to be seen with on the slop with ya. :ogbiggrin:

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Every week is men’s ski week here, except we include @Ski Nurse and @SBrown to add civility and sophistication. Sometimes it works out, the other times are extremely entertaining.
Wait a cotton pickin minute..."Martin" and "Steve" are women????

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Could part of the answer be, our wives don't want us getting into another guy thing?

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
It’s like Ladies’ night at clubs. Wouldn’t be as much fun, only men mingling around.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I just finished an 8 week Wednesday Men's Group, it was fun and I think we all got better in different ways:

We had a 79 year old retired cardiologist who used to ski the whole mountain but really just wanted to get back to not being intimidated by it. He was usually the last down but he never chickened out and he was an interesting, funny guy. He was also interested in my cardiac history, we had a some pretty heavy conversations on the 7 minute lifts.

A 74 year old who could point 'em down the hill but needed some better turn mechanics. He would go down anything though.

A mid fifties guy who probably improved the most to my eye. He started out leading every turn with a shoulder but had a pretty good turn by the end of the session.

A 67 year old guy who had only been skiing for 3-4 years. He had all the usual issues but improved a lot and never failed to follow the leader.

Another late 60's guy who looked like Larry Csonka coming down the mountain, really solid stance but needed more mobility and tools to work with.

Being a Pugskier I had a thorough understanding of everything that was discussed and tried to keep myself under wraps lest I become a pain in the ass (I was mostly unsuccessful at that). I enjoyed being challenged by some new terrain, relearned some things and learned how to apply what I already know in theory. I think my technical take-away from the experience was to develop more dynamic range in my lateral movements and a stronger turn initiation in mixed conditions.

Our instructor was a great skier, an L3 and a good teacher. In this case the men only group dynamics worked well for everyone.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I find it funny that this thread was started by a username @Codger :roflmao:
Every week is men’s ski week here, except we include @Ski Nurse and @SBrown to add civility and sophistication. Sometimes it works out, the other times are extremely entertaining.
Sometimes it works out because its extremely entertaining.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I’m curious as to why you speculate women ski weeks are common at so many ski areas but men weeks seem nonexistent. Don’t you think men would enjoy the camaraderie of skiing with other men and getting top level coaching/ instruction?
Now for the serious side of this reason.
If men want to generate a Men's Ski Week, go ahead.
The reality is, the percentage of female participation is still lower than male in the skiing world.
I can't tell you how many times a family is standing in the ski shop and says, the wife only skis a couple days a year while the husband and son ski 20+ days.

The rallying of women's days or weeks like this is to encourage women to get out on the slopes and become more enthusiastic.

@Codger you are participating on Pugski, which is a community strong in women and yet the percentage of women who are active on this site is only around 20%. I say only, because that's still the minority, but on sites like this the national average is between 6 and 7%.

So, you see, Pugski is strong in women, and we like it!
And from what I can tell, the men like it too. :)