• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why Suggest FIS Skis?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Way better tip shape than the new disappointing Forza.

So the ski itself disappointed you, or just the tip shape?

Early reviews of the Forza 70 are thin, but unanimously positive, so I'm curious.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So the ski itself disappointed you, or just the tip shape?

Early reviews of the Forza 70 are thin, but unanimously positive, so I'm curious.
My take is that Doc is a very conservative - in the original sense - person.

Edit: The tip shape is part of "the ski itself." No?

Last edited:

hrstrat57

Skis guitars Mustangs
Skier
Tigers got loose today. Yep exactly same ski as 09/10 except for the goofy bubble…
IMG_8353.jpeg

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Could you be a bit more specific? As in-use more words maybe? :ogbiggrin:
You can start with “These are godawful ugly, but…”
Look at his username and tag line. He communicates using other channels. Keep your expectations realistic.

JC Ski

Putting on skis
Skier
Resurrection of a not yet buried thread:
I'd love to see more detailed commentary on the Forza and Forza masters. I've read some positive reviews, but they all end in "too stiff to ski off piste" or something similar which sounds like a review for the general public rather than a community that skis FIS SL skis on bumps and in pow.

I am also searching for something that feels like an FIS SL (or nearly that) but comes in a bit wider waist for when the groomers aren't hard packed.
I'd still ski bumps with friends and don't mind skiing a stiff performance ski as long as it isn't 180+.

Is that a niche that doesn't need to be filled? Should I just stick to a ~70 sport carver or FIS SL ski unless it's truly soft and then break out the wide boards?

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
community that skis FIS SL skis on bumps and in pow
Welllllll ... let's not get carried away. There is a tiny but extroverted group here that skis bumps on SLs from time to time, and powder rarely but with a lot of fanfare. They're lovable kooks. As someone who is presumably a more or less normal person, it's probably safe for you to ignore them.

I am also searching for something that feels like an FIS SL (or nearly that) but comes in a bit wider waist for when the groomers aren't hard packed. I'd still ski bumps with friends and don't mind skiing a stiff performance ski
There are lots of those, no? We talk about them here all the time. "Wide narrow skis." The knock on the Forza is that the tip shape hinders its ability to handle bumps and off-piste gracefully. I haven't skied it, but the argument seems plausible based on looks. Rossi has a track record of not being able to let that tip shape go. It was on the very first Experience skis. It went away briefly, then came back in a different spot. Maybe you won't care. If you do, why not just try one of the Hero Plus models?

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am also searching for something that feels like an FIS SL (or nearly that) but comes in a bit wider waist for when the groomers aren't hard packed.
I'd still ski bumps with friends and don't mind skiing a stiff performance ski as long as it isn't 180+.

Is that a niche that doesn't need to be filled? Should I just stick to a ~70 sport carver or FIS SL ski unless it's truly soft and then break out the wide boards?

There are lots of those, no? We talk about them here all the time. "Wide narrow skis."

Lots of wide-narrows, but few that approximate an SL sidecut. Forza is one, Redster Q9.8 is another, both with ~14m at around 173cm. But I can't think of much else. This is a category of ski I'm most interested in: I like to go slow, make lots of short turns, but still want a ski with backbone and width to stay above Baker's breakable crust. (Anxiously awaiting opening day so I can start testing the Q9.8s.)

If you loosen the stiffness requirement, it opens up the possibility of a Line Blade and Mirus Cor.

I'm also interested in low radius powder skis; another category that doesn't have many options. Stuff around 105mm with 16m sidecut...

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
The knock on the Forza is that the tip shape hinders its ability to handle bumps and off-piste gracefully.
Curious to hear any firsthand experience on this one…I’ve heard people say it, but I’m not sure if I’ve heard it from anyone that has actually skied it.

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
SL in bumps can range from OK to superb, depending on the surface conditions

OK, powder on SL was sort of an "experiment in bad ideas" but it did work. The cornice drops were scary, though.

"You get better the more you do it"

Or

"It highlights problems with your skiing"

@KingGrump famous words ringing in my head

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
SL in bumps can range from OK to superb, depending on the surface conditions

OK, powder on SL was sort of an "experiment in bad ideas" but it did work. The cornice drops were scary, though.
Yeah, you aren't the lovable kook I was thinking of. This time.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Curious to hear any firsthand experience on this one…I’ve heard people say it, but I’m not sure if I’ve heard it from anyone that has actually skied it.
Right. Why I was careful to stipulate that I hadn't tried it.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I'm also interested in low radius powder skis; another category that doesn't have many options. Stuff around 105mm with 16m sidecut...
I got a pair of Line Sakana's a couple seasons ago. 181cm (150-105-138) & about a 14m turning radius. They have become my go-to inbounds powder ski. Most of the time where I ski is 3/4 off piste with the final 1/4 on a groomer back to the lift. I appreciate the ability to rip a bunch of short arcs instead of just flopping around like all the other rocker bros. I'm not conviced on the swallow tail (I've precariously crossed them a few times along with a couple other issues) but everything else about the ski fits the bill for me perfectly, relatively soft flex & a subtle early rise tip with traditional camber.
IMG_8161.jpeg

Last edited:

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
met a skiiing buddy today, he rocked SL on pow day, he changed after a few runs :D

not because of lack of skills, but because powdays are rare and fun.

My first skiday this year was a powday, yesterday was as well, but no time

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I got a pair of Line Sakana's a couple seasons ago. 181cm (150-105-138) & about a 14m turning radius. They have become my go-to inbounds powder ski. Most of the time where I ski is 3/4 off piste with the final 1/4 on a groomer back to the lift. I appreciate the ability to rip a bunch of short arcs instead of just flopping around like all the other rocker bros. I'm not conviced on the swallow tail (I've precariously crossed them a few times along with a couple other issues) but everything else about the ski fits the bill for me perfectly, relatively soft flex & a subtle early rise tip with traditional camber.
View attachment 217997

View attachment 217999
Yeah, after I wrote that I went back through the SkiTalk ski database and found two skis that stood out: the Salomon Blank and the Line Sakana. As a snowboarder from the 80s, I'm a fan of the swallow tail. I'll have to try the Sakana sometime!

Great skiing!

Sponsor

Staff online