• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Why would you go skiing in the European Alps?

What are American skiers looking for in the Alps?

• Alpine charm, atmosphere, history, views

Votes: 49 84.5%
  • Food, wellness, the good life

Votes: 31 53.4%
  • Supreme groomer skiing, great tours (on-piste)

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • (In)famous runs (Tofana, Saslong, Gran Risa, Erta, Orange Killy, Streif)

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • The amount of vertical and off-piste possibilities

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Alpine touring, hut-to-hut trips etc.

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • Skiing as part of a broader Europe trip (including sightseeing, etc.)

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • Other, see comment

Votes: 4 6.9%

• Total voters

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Haven't done it yet but my main reason would be because the minute I understood spoken language, my mom started telling me about how much longer the runs are in Switzerland. I don't know how much more of that I can take before I snap.
And this touches on why I would go. I lived in Switzerland from age 8-11, and I want to go back and see if the runs really are that long. Would also like to relive skiing from one town to another, mountain villages with no cars, and taking trains to go skiing.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
I would just travel with my boots, ski clothes and casual clothes. I would keep it simple and leave my skis at home though.
That's what I did the first couple trips.

But then, I found out I can send my skis from resort to airport ahead of me. So I could go for sightseeing without the burden of my skis.

James

Out There
Instructor
Trains?

15614B11-7018-49C9-9745-971E3C91B0AA.jpeg
Waiting for the train in Sion, Switzerland when we got stuck, sort of on purpose, in Veysonnaz, part of 4 Vallées. The taxi would’ve been €300. “But the bus stop is about 100 meters down there” So, the bus it was down the mountain to the valley and the train.

D9A9BB59-98A3-4F3B-9334-A93E070E67D2.jpeg
On the St Bernard Express from Martigny, Switzerland to Chamonix. This is in the Chamonix Valley, Vallorcine stop I think.

CA45AEE8-3BFE-4D32-9CB9-BF11AF47408F.jpeg
Chamonix stop. I love the French station clocks made by Bodet.

B41DAFE4-7DF4-4043-A767-8F18E613B9DB.jpeg
Martigny, Switzerland

9130F3AE-9BAB-4EAB-B07A-81EE1D9D87EE.jpeg
Le Chable, Switzerland. That gondola will take you up to Verbier. This is 2016, they have since put the station underground in a very underwhelming new station.

71F2203D-76C2-41D3-93C0-CE23E42E03B5.jpeg
The Bodet clock for the French railway. Mondaine is the Swiss one.

Last edited:
TS
Cheizz

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I would just travel with my boots, ski clothes and casual clothes. I would keep it simple and leave my skis at home though.
This would be my tip as well. Leave your skis at home. There are great rental shops in Europe, with high-end and well-maintained gear. In fact, they might just rent you a ski that is actually appropriate for what you will be skiing - be it a truly narrow ski for hard groomers in the Dolomites or a decent freeride ski for when it dumps in Verbier or Val d'Isère.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hauling the gear on planes, trains and automobiles is awful. When (not if) I go again, I will travel with a light amount of casual clothes, ski clothes and my ski boots...that's it. I'll rent skis over there based on the conditions and enjoy traveling light.

I'll stress again, skiing in the Alps is about the overall experience. If you are ONLY concerned about your vertical and maxing out your chances of POW..dont waste your money. If you are interested in exploring the roots and birthplaces of skiing and like to see different places, try different foods and feel a much more relaxed vibe related to the ski lifestyle then you will not be disappointed. Don't expect to it be like skiing in the US. The elevation is lower, its less corporate and people aren't in a hurry..they want to enjoy a winter day outside. Food and drink are every bit as important as the skiing. Get a guide if you are going to ski off-piste...you can get in real trouble (learned this first hand) and off-piste isn't well marked and cliffs that you can die falling off are a real thing in Chamonix and so are glacier crevasses.

My love and passion for skiing, the mountains and the outdoors deepened to another level from my trips overseas. Its been awhile since I've been and I'm jonesing to go back!

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
The elevation is lower, its less corporate and people aren't in a hurry.
True and not true. When on trail, it can be at least as bad.

It’s good get to know the times and meeting places of ski schools in the area you’ll be. There is major activity at these places and times, and trails returning. What makes it a bit harder is there’s not one school as in the US.

If it’s warm enough there’s lots of places to just stop and picnic.
8EEF7816-F2C0-4FFA-83B4-62FCE3A39F47.jpeg
A spot this year with a very short hike off the piste. That building on the right is actually an awesome lunch spot. Restaurant Les Chottes.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

It’s good get to know the times and meeting places of ski schools in the area you’ll be. There is major activity at these places and times, and trails returning. What makes it a bit harder is there’s not one school as in the US.

View attachment 201679
A spot this year with a very short hike off the piste. That building on the right is actually an awesome lunch spot. Restaurant Les Chottes.
Don't all the big open above-treeline areas freak you out? I thought you didn't deal well with those.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't all the big open above-treeline areas freak you out? I thought you didn't deal well with those.
Thus the prominent mention of the conveniently placed restaurant.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

View attachment 201679
Whole lotta cheesin goin on.
1682459541928.png

James

Out There
Instructor
No, that was only Big Burn at Snowmass, which is a trail. Don’t know if it would still have the same effect. White outs are a different story, but nothing you can do.

Other than that it’s ridge traverses with plunges on one or both sides. The West Ridge at Taos was the first- you start questioning the ability to do a wedge turn. Eventually I got ok with it, sort of.

I’ll tell you what’s freaky, is non level steps going down from a tram at the top of a mountain. It looks like you’re going to plunge to your death, and the stairs don’t help.

Actually, the top of Lone Peak atIg Sky is awful and it’s without steps. Just non level, small, feels like you’ll get blown off. You need to get beyond that buried fence to feel normal, and ironically it’s steepish over there.

There's likely worse, but the worst steps I’ve been on was the top of the Grands Montets in Cham. Unlevel, rusty and sketchy steps with a shakey, questionable hand rail. The fire and reconstruction in the last five years will have eliminated them next season.

I was up there one time. I had booked an instructor at the store I rented the skis for 1pm. It was mainly to go off piste. So it’s really foggy, and he cancels when I meet him at the tram station mid mountain. It’s too foggy. I decide it wiuldn’t be the best experience if I talk him into it. I skied a few runs from there down and up the shorter lifts, then eventually decide wth, I’ll go up and ski the piste down from the top.
I’ve posted at length about this, but this was the run I learned what the word “falaise” means in French- cliff.

31FD14AD-D304-4627-BB80-6195FC25A869.jpeg
The sketchy stairs. How bad could they be??- bad. Visibilty went in and out, mostly out. It could be nearly clear for a few minutes.

4EA2F918-002F-41DC-B185-D42F491EAB64.jpeg
A brief clearing and a look down into a chute.

5C37F7DB-1356-4452-8978-E03C7CF999A3.jpeg
This is what you would see if you could. After this when I had skis on, a guy went under the rope and off. He held the rope and asked if I was coming. I mean it was tempting, and for all I know that was a top skier, but really a bad idea. If you get separated, you’re completely screwed. I stuck to the piste.

4B539058-F753-4A81-9C75-7CAEE646E058.jpeg
On the piste looking back up in a moment of partial clarity. That group would soon get ahead of me on the piste. Further down, when visibility was much less than one pole, 10m, I would be faced with a left/right and no time to decide before the group was gone. I follow the group, which turns out to be a guided English group from Jagged Globe. I am now apparently well off piste, but the guide let me join up. Very nice.

Whole lotta cheesin goin on
You want the croute.
Swiss mountain food is heavy on cheese. I’m ok not having raclette or fondue more than once a year.
What’s really good is the Vacherin Mont d’Or cheese, a soft, gooey, cheese which is exceptionally smelly. The French version is unpasteurized.I am told that one wants a vin jaune wine with that, but as that’s expensive, a white wine from the Jura region.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

View attachment 201679
So yes...where there is an organized activity like a ski school..it is MORE organized than the US. However...lift lines are a shit show and its every man/woman for themselves. But once out on the mtn...the emphasis on "maxing out the vertical" just isn't there in most instances. Long lunches in the sun with a couple glasses of win is the norm. And off piste is mostly deserted. Just my experience..YMMV.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And a last thought...when people roll into the Apre ski bar in Chamonix with harnesses on b/c they repel into colouirs so they can ski them...you know there is another level of ski mountaineering that you are experiencing. In some ways, it can be VERY extreme.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

View attachment 201679
I'm counting maybe 10 skiers in this entire picture! Lol...this is what is was like when I was there.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Also, Google Translate is your friend. If there is an issue, just pull it up on your phone. Yes, most speak English in the resorts, but if you are in smaller areas, some people (esp older) may not. We had a situation on a bus last year where the driver didn't even speak much English, and neither did the other passengers -- we were getting by but then a nice bilingual man got on and translated. I was fumbling with my phone (and my rudimentary French) at that point but he was very kind and helpful.

From the bus stop:

View attachment 201422

It was a lovely day. I made this to send to Deann, sort of a real-time postcard.
View attachment 201423
And San Pellegrino sparkling water!!! If you were in Switzerland or France, that must have costed a fortune!

Sponsor

Staff online