• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why You Should Pull the Trigger on the LEKI Trigger 3D Poles

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I don't know that this implication about "affordability" is accurate. There are several models in a variety of price points.
Not that I think I can sway you but don't want there to be an automatic assumption that they are all pricy.
I did a search and the Swix poles like mine were available for around $40. The LEKI Trigger 3D poles ranged from a low of just over $90 to around $160. I didn't check about the cost of the special gloves or the hardware needed to add to existing gloves to use the LEKI system. This thread looks like an add for LEKI 3D poles, so I thought I would offer another view. Sorry if it ruffled feathers.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have been using Trigger S for many years. I have SG/DH, Slaloms and GS versions as well as Spitfire 6.5's with large baskets for Pow & Off-piste in general. Been using The LEKI World Cup Racing Titanium S Gloves as well. Also have some spring gloves with the loop. I prefer not using the over the glove straps. The WC Race Glove are incredible quality, extremely durable and the warmest gloves I have owned. I have a 2nd pair I found for $99. The SG/Dh are actually my favorite. They are directional, as they are slightly bent inward below the grip and also wrap around you when tucking The inward bend of the grips force your hands together when in a tuck. There is something I like about the angle when planting or pole touching when not tucking also.

The WC Race Glove is nothing like Hestra's, which I have found to not be at all warm and highly over rated.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I did a search and the Swix poles like mine were available for around $40. The LEKI Trigger 3D poles ranged from a low of just over $90 to around $160. I didn't check about the cost of the special gloves or the hardware needed to add to existing gloves to use the LEKI system. This thread looks like an add for LEKI 3D poles, so I thought I would offer another view. Sorry if it ruffled feathers.
Not ruffled at all.
Yes LEKI is a sponsor, but this article is clearly about new technology and my personal experience with their previous versions of Trigger
You choose to be "cheap"(your words) others may find the value in LEKI's technology.
And FWIW, you don't need to buy other hardware needed to use the poles because they come with straps you can use with your current gloves. Evidently you didn't happen to catch that in my article, or perhaps I didn't make it clear.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have been using Trigger S for many years. I have SG/DH, Slaloms and GS versions as well as Spitfire 6.5's with large baskets for Pow & Off-piste in general. Been using The LEKI World Cup Racing Titanium S Gloves as well. Also have some spring gloves with the loop. I prefer not using the over the glove straps. The WC Race Glove are incredible quality, extremely durable and the warmest gloves I have owned. I have a 2nd pair I found for $99. The SG/Dh are actually my favorite. They are directional, as they are slightly bent inward below the grip and also wrap around you when tucking The inward bend of the grips force your hands together when in a tuck. There is something I like about the angle when planting or pole touching when not tucking also.

The WC Race Glove is nothing like Hestra's, which I have found to not be at all warm and highly over rated.
Have you had a chance to check out the Trigger 3D yet? I've played with a set but haven't skied with them yet.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
So reading this article I almost feel like I pulled the trigger (no pun intended) on my LEKI Trigger S poles a year or so too soon. That said I did get a crazy good deal on them during a clearance sale at Corbetts the summer before covid started. Think I paid about $100 cdn. Ironically they are back in stock now for $155 CDN, which is still a good deal. They must have bought up all the old Trigger S inventory as they have LEKI Triger S poles in all shapes and sizes starting at around $70 cdn. Now it also turns out that they have some of last years 3D system poles for sale unfortunately they are all one size to big or to small for me. I may have to wait for this summer's tent sales to buy a pair as I really do not need them but sure would like to have them.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have been skiing LEKI poles for a number of years now. I have always skied them with the adaptor strap on Hestra or Free The Powder gloves and mitts. The strap integration/feel with mitts was never great. This summer I bought the Xplore S gloves and mitts. The quality of both is excellent. The integration/feel between the LEKI poles and gloves and mitts is great. Can't comment on how warm they are as they haven't been on the slope.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I'm pretty sure they're great if you want to commit to a system and have the budget for what is actually probably the most peripheral of ski hardgoods. Elsewhere can we not petition for a reintroduction of Scott swordgrips?

Otherwise having snapped carbon and composite poles I'm rather inclined to metal in my poles. Only failure there not due to abuse/ user error I've ever had was in a BD Traverse where the tip snapped off. This goes for hiking poles as well as skiing.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm pretty sure they're great if you want to commit to a system and have the budget for what is actually probably the most peripheral of ski hardgoods. Elsewhere can we not petition for a reintroduction of Scott swordgrips?

Otherwise having snapped carbon and composite poles I'm rather inclined to metal in my poles. Only failure there not due to abuse/ user error I've ever had was in a BD Traverse where the tip snapped off. This goes for hiking poles as well as skiing.
The Scott swordgrip was reintroduced a few years back with limited distribution.

For many, poles are the umpire of ski gear, you want them to do their job without being noticed. Carbon has its place with vibration absorption specifically when skiing ice. Carbon can have a lower swing weight and less wind resistance which can make a difference in feel. Aluminum or Al-loo-mini-yum to you Brits especially better grades do hold up better and are the ones that have the loyal following and do cost a premium as any quality product can.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been skiing with Trigger S for several years now. I can't stand straps anymore--so annoying. If and when I need new poles, I'll absolutely get another pair of LEKI.

I do have an older pair of LEKI mittens and despite appearing that they will be warm, they are anything but. The hook for the strap also feels awkward where it sits at the base of my thumb. I'm guessing the newer gloves and mittens are better. That being said, I prefer the straps that come with the poles with my Free The Powder mittens. (Or any mittens or gloves.) I wear very light gloves on warm spring days and it's nice to be able to just move the straps to whatever glove or mitten I need for the day.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have an older pair of Trigger S Carbon 14 (I think? From 2019? Maybe?). I won them at a fundraiser event by guessing how many ski pole baskets were on a string (the ski version of "how many jelly beans are in the jar").

I'd say I don't love them, but I don't dislike them either. They're fine.

I do love the ease of taking them off in the lift line, and a quick re-connection at the top of the lift, but the actual use of the poles to ski...I prefer a traditional style strap and grip. I enjoy them on groomers, but when I get into bumps and trees, I don't like how "fixed" they are in your hand. In bumps, I often drop my hand a bit lower on my pole to make it feel a little shorter. I can't do that with the LEKI Trigger. I never realized how much I move my poles in my hands when skiing, but apparently it's a lot depending on conditions and terrain. So, if it's a hard packed day on groomers (which happens often on the east coast), I use them...otherwise I use my older traditional poles.

I have only used them with the over-the-glove strap system, I've never worn LEKI gloves. Maybe their gloves could change my opinion, but I don't think I'll be making the investment considering how much I love my current mitten/glove quiver.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@fatbob Bluezone had these
@SkiEssentials carried them as well.
I don't think they sold well.
Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 7.38.30 AM.png

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've been skiing with Trigger S for several years now. I can't stand straps anymore--so annoying. If and when I need new poles, I'll absolutely get another pair of LEKI.

I do have an older pair of LEKI mittens and despite appearing that they will be warm, they are anything but. The hook for the strap also feels awkward where it sits at the base of my thumb. I'm guessing the newer gloves and mittens are better. That being said, I prefer the straps that come with the poles with my Free The Powder mittens. (Or any mittens or gloves.) I wear very light gloves on warm spring days and it's nice to be able to just move the straps to whatever glove or mitten I need for the day.
I'll let you try my mittens next time we ski together.
Mine are really warm.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I prefer a traditional style strap and grip. I enjoy them on groomers, but when I get into bumps and trees, I don't like how "fixed" they are in your hand. In bumps, I often drop my hand a bit lower on my pole to make it feel a little shorter. I can't do that with the LEKI Trigger.

You can. With the straps they sell separately that convert the S Trigger to traditional pole. Best of both worlds really.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You can. With the straps they sell separately that convert the S Trigger to traditional pole. Best of both worlds really.
I saw these earlier in this thread...where did you find them? I don't see them on the LEKI website?

I'm very interested.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
While I realy like the LEKI poles and gloves I am not a huge fan of the Frame Strap. I just feel I cannot get it snug enough without tightening it and that is another step to taking my gloves on and off. This is one of the reasons I started using their gloves. Once using the gloves, it gave me a much better appreciation for the whole system. Now if they would only partner with someone to make a heated version.

Sponsor

Staff online