• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why You Should Pull the Trigger on the LEKI Trigger 3D Poles

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I saw these earlier in this thread...where did you find them? I don't see them on the LEKI website?

I'm very interested.

For unknown reasons LEKI seem to keep 'em secret from the general audience. :ogbiggrin:
But they are on their Canadian web-site:

Not the best in the world as straps go but they do work and I find the option to keep the straps on my wrists and instantly click in/out of the poles priceless.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So reading this article I almost feel like I pulled the trigger (no pun intended) on my LEKI Trigger S poles a year or so too soon. That said I did get a crazy good deal on them during a clearance sale at Corbetts the summer before covid started. Think I paid about $100 cdn. Ironically they are back in stock now for $155 CDN, which is still a good deal. They must have bought up all the old Trigger S inventory as they have LEKI Triger S poles in all shapes and sizes starting at around $70 cdn. Now it also turns out that they have some of last years 3D system poles for sale unfortunately they are all one size to big or to small for me. I may have to wait for this summer's tent sales to buy a pair as I really do not need them but sure would like to have them.
I'm still skiing with my Trigger S poles.
The Pink WC TBS pair are aluminum Airfoil. The black poles are carbon S Elite. Between the two I prefer the carbon due to swing weight but I'll grab the pink WC poles when I'm feeling sassy. ;)
I demo'd the new 3D and played around with the 220º release. I can see myself getting a set this season.
6D7A38F8-21EA-4C01-BA33-615A63F19BA8.jpeg

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
@fatbob Bluezone had these
@SkiEssentials carried them as well.
I don't think they sold well.
View attachment 147113
Interesting - certainly didn't seem to do much, if any, promotion of them. I have a old consignment store pair that I think are great and I've met a number of fans who comment how they used to love their pair when they see mine. But then things that worked like breakaway straps also seem to have disappeared from ski poles so I suspect it's a segment where fashion (and cost/complexity) trumps practicality.

Incidentally given the spendy nature of the LEKI exotica how do people feel about leaving them unsecured outside lodges, after all their isn't really anything to loop a cable through?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Incidentally given the spendy nature of the LEKI exotica how do people feel about leaving them unsecured outside lodges, after all their isn't really anything to loop a cable through?

When you leave them next to your Stocklis you really couldn't care less about the poles. :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Interesting - certainly didn't seem to do much, if any, promotion of them. I have a old consignment store pair that I think are great and I've met a number of fans who comment how they used to love their pair when they see mine. But then things that worked like breakaway straps also seem to have disappeared from ski poles so I suspect it's a segment where fashion (and cost/complexity) trumps practicality.

If BZ still has some around in a good length for you I'll let you know.

As for theft, I haven't really had an issue with it, but maybe that's because the poles are no good without the strap or glove. Why would someone steel them if they don't have the accessories?

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
I cant speak to the new ones, but my wife and I both have the Carbon 14s. Ease of taking the poles off to get on the lift are great. We both like them for the swing weight. I still have my AL Stratos Air Foils and I know they are good stuff because the say great quality product or something to that effect on the front. My concern from day one with Carbon is longevity. I look at my other poles and you can see where my edges have caught them and they are scared from years of use. I dont know if Carbon will have the same life. After a couple of years, I can see edge marks on them and know it will impact the life.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
They are on par with any glove I have had from Hestra.
View attachment 147155
So my kids all have LEKI gloves and mitts, but I have stuck with my Hestras as at the high end I have yet to find a LEKI glove on par with the Hestra Morrison Pro Model Glove or Alpine Pro Leather Swisswool Merino Gloves. In General we have found that while the LEKI gloves are good quality they do not have the same warmth as the Hestra gloves. Also compared to the all Leather Hestra gloves I have yet to find a pair of LEKI gloves with the same durability. While all our LEKI gloves have gortex, on really wet days, a problem in the PNW, they get soaked. Now that said the kids love skiing with them and we make them work on all but the coldest days. From a cost perspective we have been able to find LEKI gloves on sale and in general at much more reasonable prices than Hestra. So for the time being I am going to stick with Hestra, but open to being sold on the right pair of LEKI gloves.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Have you had a chance to check out the Trigger 3D yet? I've played with a set but haven't skied with them yet.
No ma'am, with 4 pair of existing poles, I am kinda buried in existing LEKI's! ;)

James

Out There
Instructor
Another downside, not able to carry skis via Texas suitcase technique.
I went to Chamonix and within 15 minutes of walking down the road I’d seen two people carrying Texas suitcases. Not everyone there is Seth Morrison.

Carbon poles and kids aren’t great. You need to be able to wack snow off. I did shear an aluminum pole once on a very cold day. I went to wack a snow blob on the side of the trail. Turned out it was not powder and I’m left holding a long handle.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As I said in the article I wrote, I was very hard pressed to abandon my good karma Kerma poles.
Remember this thread?

When I finally found my new love for LEKI I gave my Kermas to a friend.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I love those ski poles. Had them in the 80s, but I can't find them anywhere. I was told by a ski shop that they cause thumb injuries when you fall.
Only if you try to fall onto a palm rather than keeping a fist or just pulling out of them. There's a damage limitation technique to most things if you can learn it. Straps not really an issue in trees - just don't use them etc.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I cant speak to the new ones, but my wife and I both have the Carbon 14s. Ease of taking the poles off to get on the lift are great. We both like them for the swing weight. I still have my AL Stratos Air Foils and I know they are good stuff because the say great quality product or something to that effect on the front. My concern from day one with Carbon is longevity. I look at my other poles and you can see where my edges have caught them and they are scared from years of use. I dont know if Carbon will have the same life. After a couple of years, I can see edge marks on them and know it will impact the life.

My experience with poles is they all break. Regardless what they are made of. I have had 7000 series aluminum, carbon, composites and hybrids. They all breaks. Much depends on luck. I have broken three sets of poles in one week. Two 7000 series aluminum and one carbon. No rhyme or rhythm, just luck.

My current poles are two sets of identical Alpina carbon. Still have 3 out of four poles after 1K+ ski days. Can't seem to kill them. Wore through the grips. Had them replaced with standard Scott grips. The shafts just refused to die. I have been carrying a couple spare sets of new poles (Holmenkol and LEKI) around for like 6 years waiting for the Alpina to die. No luck.

Someone up there is laughing at me. :nono:

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My experience with poles is they all break. Regardless what they are made of. I have had 7000 series aluminum, carbon, composites and hybrids. They all breaks. Much depends on luck. I have broken three sets of poles in one week. Two 7000 series aluminum and one carbon. No rhyme or rhythm, just luck.

My current poles are two sets of identical Alpina carbon. Still have 3 out of four poles after 1K+ ski days. Can't seem to kill them. Wore through the grips. Had them replaced with standard Scott grips. The shafts just refused to die. I have been carrying a couple spare sets of new poles (Holmenkol and LEKI) around for like 6 years waiting for the Alpina to die. No luck.

I've only broken one ski pole in my entire history of skiing (I'm probably jynxing myself)
I have forgotten two different sets of ski poles at demo tents and forgot to retrieve them. :doh:

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I’ve been lucky that I’m breaking LEKI poles faster than I can lose straps so the quiver is solid.
My FTP gloves are too good to think about the LEKI glove
I have extra grips that I will share if anyone is in need.
68866934-B735-452A-9C77-47973AB89342.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online