• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why You Should Pull the Trigger on the LEKI Trigger 3D Poles

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Haven't broke my grass sticks purchased at thier launch. Madeline has broke the carbide tips off here twice. They keep sending repair kits.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
PS: Why is this site insistently capitalizing "LEKI"? Please. My writing is my own. Don't screw with it. I meant what I said and I said what I meant.
Campaign to rebrand as Liki or noLeki starts here

FTAOD ;)

Last edited:

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Now this interests me. I love my Grass Sticks poles and I've not heard of anyone breaking one. So is there a way to buy a set of LEKI pole grips, or do I have to buy a pair of poles and remove the grips?
@jmills115 might have some extra grips.

1636142459463.png

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Possibly. I was really thinking about the 3-D trigger grips but either way would probably work just fine.

DerKomisar

Putting on skis
Skier
Picked up a pair of trigger S grip poles a while back and added a pair of their gloves and loved them. I upgraded to a pair of carbon 3D poles this fall.
Unfortunately I didn’t realize that the 3D loop is a bit larger to accommodate the greater range of release. May have to upgrade my gloves and/or use the included straps. Something to keep in mind if you’re looking to upgrade to 3D poles.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
LEKI grips are put on with an adhesive that resembles plain old hot glue. Warm the grips and use your preferred pulling method and they pop off. The glue is even reusable; warm with a hair dryer or heat gun on low and put the grip back on.

Regarding all the concerns about breakage. I'm not sure what LEKI is currently doing, but about 7 years ago I broke a Carbon 14s and although it was clearly my fault, I decided to contact LEKI to see if they would do anything for me. To my surprise they replaced the broken pole with a pair of new poles (since they no longer had that exact model's graphics). I did have to wait for the new poles to arrive in the following season, but that kind of customer service is what keeps customers for life.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Haven't broke my grass sticks purchased at thier launch. Madeline has broke the carbide tips off here twice. They keep sending repair kits.
I was re-reading comments today after this was bumped and I have to say, we have several members here who love their Grass Sticks, but the time I demo'd a pair I just couldn't get used to the feel of them. Not sure why, but there was something unique about them that I just couldn't warm up to.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was re-reading comments today after this was bumped and I have to say, we have several members here who love their Grass Sticks, but the time I demo'd a pair I just couldn't get used to the feel of them. Not sure why, but there was something unique about them that I just couldn't warm up to.
I love the flex for alpine skiing. But for touring they flex too much.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the Soul Poles (purchased about 6-7 years ago) and I really like them. I do have a pair of older LEKI carbon Trigger poles, but I hated the straps. I need the gloves/mittens.

Frenchman

Troublemaker
Skier
Anyone here cares to compare the Venom 3D to the Carbon 14 3D in terms of swing weight and balance? I'd imagine that the heavier upper of the Venom gives it a nice swing weight, at the cost of visual flashiness (and, pressure to ski better with such a thing in hand)?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Anyone here cares to compare the Venom 3D to the Carbon 14 3D in terms of swing weight and balance? I'd imagine that the heavier upper of the Venom gives it a nice swing weight, at the cost of visual flashiness (and, pressure to ski better with such a thing in hand)?
We should be able to compare in the next week or so.

Blizzboy283

Booting up
Skier
Definitely interested in this thread since I just bought the Vario Peak 3d poles last week and they arrive Friday in the mail. Timing is perfect. Picked them up untried because they were going out of stock everywhere.
Same here Mike, they should be coming this week. Bought some gloves too. I’m originally from Montgomery County myself.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil,

do you like the boa system? I almost went with that glove but figured I’d try the model with Gore-Tex in it first. How we I might need something warmer for really cold days.
The Boa works, snugs up the glove really nice. It is not their warmest glove but great for mid cold temps

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
LEKI grips are put on with an adhesive that resembles plain old hot glue. Warm the grips and use your preferred pulling method and they pop off. The glue is even reusable; warm with a hair dryer or heat gun on low and put the grip back on.

Regarding all the concerns about breakage. I'm not sure what LEKI is currently doing, but about 7 years ago I broke a Carbon 14s and although it was clearly my fault, I decided to contact LEKI to see if they would do anything for me. To my surprise they replaced the broken pole with a pair of new poles (since they no longer had that exact model's graphics). I did have to wait for the new poles to arrive in the following season, but that kind of customer service is what keeps customers for life.
This was my experience as well. Years ago, I owned a pair of carbon fiber adjustable poles from LEKI. I fell on them and broke one (as @Tony S says: user error). Because I had owned them less than a year, I contacted LEKI and they sent me a replacement. BTW, my iPad seems to correct “LEKI“ to “Lexi”.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m curious about this. I have an extra pair of LEKI grips and am considering purchasing a pair of Grass Sticks having them install the grips. But I love the feel of the LEKI poles a lot: I worry that the bamboo poles will feel clunky by comparison. Maybe @Ron can comment.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Writing this as a ski coach of junior racers and with the resulting perspective thereof:

LEKI poles are great for young skiers who can keep track of their things - but for those who aren't as capable they can be a pricey concern. My team actively discourages using the LEKI system until the kids are U12 or older because the click system isn't always understood or properly used by the little ones. A traditional pole strap is easier to teach, and the issue of kids growing like weeds means more basic poles tend to be a more sound investment.

And the other issue with LEKI poles and junior racers: they're super popular and young athletes gets pairs mixed up all. the. time. I suggest that the athletes personalize their poles with contrasting duct or gaff tape, spray paint, or something else that's not subtle. The fact that their racing poles are all either red/yellow/black or pink/yellow/black means they all blend together. Yet the athletes want poles that look like their sponsored heroes and often refuse to put on enough personalized trim that they walk.

And yes, LEKI poles get stolen as much as any other pole at the ski area. Poles can - and will - walk.

The quality of the build of the poles is fantastic, for sure. If it wasn't then LEKI wouldn't still be in the business. And their unique strap system has proven itself over the years. For quite a few skiers it's an ideal system.

I can't speak to their gloves and mittens, though they seem to hold up well to competition seasons (though I might not use them at a summer camp where there's a lot of solar salt used). As for warmth, gloves and mittens tend to be a very personal thing. I'm glad that LEKI still offers an accessory strap that converts non-brand gloves to full compatibility with their poles.

Full disclosure: I don't have a pole sponsor. I have skied with Scott poles for years (and they were a sponsor of mine many decades ago) and I've had two pair of their competition poles last over 30 years (with requisite basket replacement here and there). They're all aluminum shafted, and while the colors on them may have faded over time they still work.

That doesn't mean I'm not open to using LEKI poles. I'm simply using what I have - the old "if it ain't broke" philosophy. ;)

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I’m curious about this. I have an extra pair of LEKI grips and am considering purchasing a pair of Grass Sticks having them install the grips. But I love the feel of the LEKI poles a lot: I worry that the bamboo poles will feel clunky by comparison. Maybe @Ron can comment.
well, recognizing that LEKI is a sponsor here first off, so its a good thing to buy their gear. That said, as a disclosure, I am a mountain rep for Grass sticks but I started out just really loving them. I dont find them clunky at all, they are quite light and have a fantastic swing weight (probably the first thing people notice) . Keep in mind, you order them by whatever shaft length you want so that helps dial in their performance. The grips are no wider than any other pole and are quite "grippy". Of course with LEKI, there are thinner grips available if you prefer a really thin grip.

Not sure I totally understand the "purchasing Grass Sticks and having them install the grips"

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online