• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wide Skis Bad...

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just because someone doesn't like a ski doesn't mean its bad.
But @Philpug only I know what makes a good ski...and whenever everyone asks what ski they should get I/we respond that we have the PERFECT ski..if only they skied exactly like us, at the exact same place as we do and had ALL the same preferences as we do. Therefore....every ski I don't ski is BAD BAD BAD!! Lol. :roflmao: So many good skis out there these days....just depends on what you want.

BTW...have you reviewed any Praxis skis in recent years?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
My aging and ailing knees took notice of the idea/theory that wider skis can aggregate your knees. I get out 50 to 65 days per season despite my knees and have struggled with finding a narrower ski that thrills me. Head E-Rally and Blossom AM74 were my most recent attempts getting under 88 mm but they didn’t have the versatility that I favor. Previous generation Blizzard Bramha 88 was the narrowest ski I’ve found that really works for me.

I know this is thread drift here but any suggestions on a narrower all-mountain ski that is not locking into one turn type/technique and is decent at groomed to typical late day Vermont conditions and bumps? My resolution is to demo a bunch of skis this next winter to find a better every day ski for me. Brahma 82 and Declivity 82 are on the list but happy to go narrower if there are models that aren’t so groomer/carved turn centric.

Just seems like the ski industry has punted on the idea of a narrow all-mountain ski, or even narrow, non-beginner twin-tip for that matter. I’ve got a quiver of skis but my ideal ski (I think) would be a narrower Fischer FR 94, Blizzard Rustler 9, J Skis Masterblaster, Black Crows Serpo, etc.
I really like the Head Monster 83, and imagine the Brahma 82 would be much the same.

i find though a good 88 (the Brahma 88 for me) is so good on firm snow short of true ice, and then offers more general versatility than a narrower ski, I rarely find myself reaching for the narrower one (good as it is).

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You are correct that the ski I have in mind is a unicorn but not because I want it to be excel in all conditions. I have other skis for powder and soft conditions but am curious about a narrrower version of that same ski. The Fischer 94 FR would be a good start point with it being the kind of ski I gravitate to as an everyday ski. Just drop 10 to 15 mm from sidecut dimensions, perhaps add some more metal but otherwise keep the design consistent. Volkl, K2, Blizzard, etc. kind of do it with more “chargy” skis but none carry the concept to narrower waist widths, and even fewer do it with more playful skis. Seems like a worthy experiment for an Indy manufacturer or Creative type to “brand” Freeride ski for the conditions you actually ski not dream about.

in the end, I’m going to demo a bunch of skis and see if there is a noticeable difference in my knees AND do I like how they ski. If not, I’ll happily keep with my current formula and stick with my mid-80s to mid-90s skis for most days in VT.

When bigger brands take a fr ski and skinny it up, mostly they end up getting marketed as an intermediate ski. Did you try the volkl kanjo? Been around for a while, but fun and easy to ski, may be what your looking for.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I was hoping Baker would still be open. We'll be at Lummi Island in a couple of weeks.
You can hike for turns, but Baker closes in April because nobody shows up after that. They almost always have plenty of snow to keep going for a month or two more. The road to Artist Point, which is about the same elevation as the top of the ski area, is still being plowed with no date yet set for opening. It was a big year for snow in the Cascades last season.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Balderdash I say …….

I’m seeing a pair of Kastle ZX 115s in the rotation for 22/23

The rest of you carry on with your skinny ski talk, then again, the AXs get some love every so often :ogbiggrin:

D1FDF942-1D66-49F4-BB09-1B034183C18C.jpeg

Edit - ^^^ this shot from lower Utopia !

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Yeah I have had some bigger days too, in the Alps. But not enough to make me buy a ski wider than 110 mm or so...

Reactions: BMC

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah I have had some bigger days too, in the Alps. But not enough to make me buy a ski wider than 110 mm or so...

Yeah when I’m logical the core quiver becomes simple. For resort skis something like;

Australia
  • Blizzard Brahma 88 (daily driver - 90% of days)
  • Nordica Enforcer 100 (fresh snow days - 5% to 10%).

Northern Hemisphere
  • Nordica Enforcer 100 (daily driver - 60-70% of days)
  • DPS Wailer 112 (powder 30-40% of days)
Plus niche skis for hard snow days or touring.

But really, that covers it. The only wrinkle in there is if I go to a less snowy northern resort, but one that does get periodic dumps. Go narrower and wider? Or medium and wider? Or narrower and medium? You sure can overthink things!! But as a general rule the above works.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I always find it funny that people say: 'buy skis for what you actually ski, and not for what you want to ski' and at the same time, they say 'don't overthink it.' When I have a closer look at what I actually ski (which is basically what they asked for in the first place), it's called overthinking it. What else am I going to do all summer? ;)

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In my experience, "what works" is not the same thing as optimizing the experience of skiing - massively for the better, at least in my case.

There is no getting around it, a race ski (either slalom or gs) is just so much different and really fun - both as a change of pace and as just pure enjoyment (kinda like being on a roller coaster for on edge acceleration and carving precision as opposed to the different experience of, say, an all mountain
old snow day carver like the top performing Brahma 88. (I own a pair and use that 88 - for example, for a change of pace in bumps and on groomers, off piste and on.)

At the other end of ski width, there is also no getting around how fun the drift and float feel - even for some skis the trampoline-like up and down weightless feel - of a wider ski in powder and chop/crud really is. Now I can see not valuing this (or even not knowing about it) in old, wet icy snow, melt-and-freeze areas like back East and in the Alps. Or in the "heavy wet snow" of the Pacific ranges, especially in the Pacific Northwest. But in areas of dry chalk snow, packed powder, and mid to lighter weight powder, there is just a lot of good experience and fun lost by losing out on that playfulness, that surf feel, and that different sort of control on that soft surface of powder and chop/crud, just planing and dancing in 3D.

Last edited:

JShort

Getting off the lift
Skier
I went from a 88mm daily driver (Salomon xdrive) to a 118mm DD (Blizzard bodacious). When I was skiing the xdrives, I kept telling people they don't have to go fat. Now that I am fat, I love it and I'm not going back.

Those xdrives are amazing skis and they still come out for ice and boilerplate, but at long as I'm not hammering moguls all day and it's the slightest bit soft, the Bodes are coming out.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
I went from a 88mm daily driver (Salomon xdrive) to a 118mm DD (Blizzard bodacious). When I was skiing the xdrives, I kept telling people they don't have to go fat. Now that I am fat, I love it and I'm not going back.

Those xdrives are amazing skis and they still come out for ice and boilerplate, but at long as I'm not hammering moguls all day and it's the slightest bit soft, the Bodes are coming out.
I feel the same about my black ops 118! If doing more moguls, deathwish 104

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier

Sure. But I don't think the Bodacious is the most appropriate ski to make your first skiing turns on on a groomer after a huge hiatus. Or for technique and instruction purposes as a whole.

Sponsor

Staff online