• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I was just out for a ride with the lad and crept up on 4 wild turkeys..no phone..wish I had the 20 gauge...

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^ Try riding a bike around here (NW Ct and Mass). You don't need a 20 gauge; in fact, you sometimes have to try hard NOT to have a turkey dinner.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
20201102_075828.jpg

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
This past summer at the hotel across the street from my condo and just over the bridge from downtown Victoria, B.C.

Attachments

• DSC00431.JPG
    DSC00431.JPG
    252.9 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC00435.JPG
    DSC00435.JPG
    371.2 KB · Views: 20

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hiking in Catalina State Park (north of Tucson AZ) the week following Thanksgiving, we came across something furry that was busy burrowing in the soft sand right next to the trail. We stopped and he stopped, turned around and gave us the once over. Decided he didn't give a shit and continued his task as we carefully skirted the vicinity.

e-1030006.jpg

American Badger. First ever siting in the wild for me. Didn't even know we had them in Arizona!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't found anything to dispute the veracity of this photo, i.e. no photoshop. This is one HUGE kitty!
126481188_10164396452265023_8993024635272234586_n.jpg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Neighbors are just now figuring out there are coyotes all around this area. I've know they were there for at least 5 years. Now they're snatching pets literally 3 blocks away from here. It's cool when the deer will walk right up to people.. Coyotes, not so much. Now those NYC squirrels, those things are viscous!

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Neighbors are just now figuring out there are coyotes all around this area. I've know they were there for at least 5 years. Now they're snatching pets literally 3 blocks away from here. It's cool when the deer will walk right up to people.. Coyotes, not so much. Now those NYC squirrels, those things are viscous!
Yotes in Reno are common. There are lots of "lost dog/cat" signs up all over. Right or wrong, we refer to them as menus. A 6 foot fence is nothing for a hungry coyote.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Be careful of those deer. One stomped the neighbors' dog to death when it came out barking like mad. I also saw two bucks, horns locked, fighting in the front yard of a house down the block right in the middle of town.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Be careful of those deer. One stomped the neighbors' dog to death when it came out barking like mad. I also saw two bucks, horns locked, fighting in the front yard of a house down the block right in the middle of town.
My aunt, who used to hand feed wild deer from her front balcony near Duhamel QC, told me never to bow your head down in front of a deer; they take it as a signal you want to but heads - good to know.

jseeski

Skiing a little BC powder
Skier
This past summer at the hotel across the street from my condo and just over the bridge from downtown Victoria, B.C.
Dano, as I'm sure you're aware, there are so many "urban" deer in Comox that they're kind of a pain, and they're very hard on gardens.

NIK_7993_6592_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Nasty rain crust today, so took the day off skiing and went hunting for wild turkeys. With a camera. They are very common around here.

View attachment 120898

View attachment 120899
It's cool to see them during mating season. We saw a group of four or five hens with a tom following them. Every so often, he would stop and display, spreading his tail and dropping his wings. The hens ignored him and wandered away. After a bit, he closes up and chases to catch up, then does it again.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It's cool to see them during mating season. We saw a group of four or five hens with a tom following them. Every so often, he would stop and display, spreading his tail and dropping his wings. The hens ignored him and wandered away. After a bit, he closes up and chases to catch up, then does it again.
Kind of like teenagers. :ogbiggrin:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Some bear-chase-while-skiing video from Romania... being chased a long way down a slope :geek:... there were multiple videos taken, and news stories, so this one isn't one of those faked bear-chasing videos... apparently the skier eventually realized what was going on and dropped his pack to distract the bear, which worked.

You can see at least one more video from someone else on the lift on the Snopes page:

Sponsor