• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Some bear-chase-while-skiing video from Romania... being chased a long way down a slope :geek:... there were multiple videos taken, and news stories, so this one isn't one of those faked bear-chasing videos... apparently the skier eventually realized what was going on and dropped his pack to distract the bear, which worked.

You can see at least one more video from someone else on the lift on the Snopes page:

What I want to know is who was riding the chair down the hill and taking a video over their shoulder? It makes me wonder...

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Have had full time wood ducks for the first winter ever. No hooded mergansers however, the only duck that can match them for show.
wood duck 2.JPG

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Some bear-chase-while-skiing video from Romania... being chased a long way down a slope :geek:... there were multiple videos taken, and news stories, so this one isn't one of those faked bear-chasing videos... apparently the skier eventually realized what was going on and dropped his pack to distract the bear, which worked.

Bacon ... it's not just for the avy dogs.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
While riding the Mountaineer Express chair at Deer Valley, UT on 9 Apr 21 several of us spotted a hawk soaring about 50 feet away. He was hovering in an almost stationary way. We finished our lift ride and skied down the trail and he was still there. It was kind of unusual because he stayed in the same airspace for a long time, there was plenty of time to take his picture. He eventually dove down at some sort of prey in the grassy area below.
dv hawk.jpg
dv hawk closer.jpg

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Blues birds (Osprey) at the Salmon Arm B.C. 2019 Roots & Blues Festival

Attachments

• DSC00315.JPG
    DSC00315.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC00322.JPG
    DSC00322.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC00313.JPG
    DSC00313.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC00311.JPG
    DSC00311.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 8

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
While riding the Mountaineer Express chair at Deer Valley, UT on 9 Apr 21 several of us spotted a hawk soaring about 50 feet away. He was hovering in an almost stationary way. We finished our lift ride and skied down the trail and he was still there. It was kind of unusual because he stayed in the same airspace for a long time, there was plenty of time to take his picture. He eventually dove down at some sort of prey in the grassy area below.
View attachment 130951 View attachment 130952

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
On the Charles?

I used to paddle in a canoe on the Charles with my great aunt Fannie back in my youth. She drove a Corvair to give you an idea of her cool factor.
This is Field Pond in Andover MA, part of the Harrold Parker State Forest. It is one of the closest spots to our house. Even though it is a big pond, it gets repetitive after awhile so we switch to the Concord River and (less often) the Charles. We see more heron and fewer turtles on the rivers.

We did the Mystic River once - interesting alternation of nature and urban stretches, but the water quality was a bit icky.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I used to paddle in a canoe on the Charles with my great aunt Fannie back in my youth. She drove a Corvair to give you an idea of her cool factor.
Never mind your great aunt, when I was 15 my mom was looking to buy a new car so I dragged her to the dealership showroom to look at a '63 red Corvair Monza convertible...and she bought it! Guess what car I got my driver's license in and also got to drive weekends while in high school? :yahoo:What a pick up car. And talk about wildlife...not the kind mentioned in the thread title.:ogbiggrin:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Never mind your great aunt, when I was 15 my mom was looking to buy a new car so I dragged her to the dealership showroom to look at a '63 red Corvair Monza convertible...and she bought it! Guess what car I got my driver's license in and also got to drive weekends while in high school? :yahoo:What a pick up car. And talk about wildlife...not the kind mentioned in the thread title.:ogbiggrin:
Well I was too young to drive at the time, but she had friends with a kid my age and he had a go-cart. Woohoo! :beercheer:

jseeski

Skiing a little BC powder
Skier
Was doing a little exploring on a logging road near Bombi Pass in southern British Columbia this afternoon. When I came back to where I had parked the truck, I found this guy about 10 or 15 feet from the back of my truck. Fortunately, he/she was pretty mellow. If he/she had gotten aggressive, I would have been in trouble because the bear was between me and the truck.

NIK_4511 e-2 small.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January