• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Canada Geese used to be rare: John Muir by way of

http://www.dianamuirappelbaum.com/?page_id=403#.YqEo6WkpCDY

In his memoir “The Story of My Boyhood and Youth,” John Muir describes the Canada geese of 19th-century Wisconsin, and they are hardly recognizable as the same species Matthews encounters making nuisances of themselves on suburban golf courses. Muir’s geese were the alluring but rarely achieved quarry of ambitious hunters. Migrating flocks would circle a marsh cautiously, refusing to land if there was a farmhouse in sight. When they did land to graze, guard geese stood at attention, scanning the landscape and alerting the flock to take to the sky at the first sign of a human presence. Hunters almost never bagged a Canada goose because they couldn’t get close enough to get a shot off.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
I don't know if this should be in Funnies or here......Chupacabra picture outside the Amarillo Zoo. (Don't have a clue what a Chupacabra is or is not...LOL)...

1654733383023.png

The Zoo is near my home so I'll set up my trail cam.

James

Out There
Instructor
Bald eagles also returned and are now about as common as seagulls around here.
Most likely have lead poisoning now. That’ll hold down the population. Might eliminate the Golden Eagles.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I don't know if this should be in Funnies or here......Chupacabra picture outside the Amarillo Zoo. (Don't have a clue what a Chupacabra is or is not...LOL)...

View attachment 170878

The Zoo is near my home so I'll set up my trail cam.

There were chupacabra in the 'X-Files' series.

I vote for Funnies. Or maybe this guy:
skin hat a-basin 20171024_100618.jpg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We kayaked on the Upper Mystic Lake into the small river leading up to the center of Winchester, Massachusetts, today.
We say a couple dozen black crowned night herons, which is a bird we had never seen before. They were everywhere!

20220611_161633.jpg

20220611_160457.jpg

20220611_151928.jpg
q

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
2 more bird video from yesterday.
I have family in Winchester and have boated that route. You can actually get out to Boston Harbor and the ocean from there with the help of boat locks. The improvement in water quality over the years has been amazing.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Elsie Mae the Elephant Seal is back on the beach below the house. She's moulting and recovering from having her first pup -- at about 4 years of age. She will soon go out to sea but crept up on the grass this morning. A NOAA volunteer is trying to herd her back to the beach (sand) by hitting cookie sheets together.. At possibly 400+ pounds she still responds to the volunteers efforts.

1655136743579.jpeg

1655136820789.jpeg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Elsie Mae the Elephant Seal is back on the beach below the house. She's moulting and recovering from having her first pup -- at about 4 years of age. She will soon go out to sea but crept up on the grass this morning. A NOAA volunteer is trying to herd her back to the beach (sand) by hitting cookie sheets together.. At possibly 400+ pounds she still responds to the volunteers efforts.

View attachment 171175

View attachment 171176
That is so cool, if you can keep us posted on Ellie Mae. Have you spotted her pup yet?

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mr. Marmot came calling yesterday. “Hey…you got any irrigation or gas lines I can chew on?” Still can’t figure out how he was able to reach the doorbell.

8BFAB9D6-A348-4EB6-8010-B836B6CE50B3.jpeg

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier

Such amazing animals. We used to hang out at Simpson Reef west of Coos Bay OR and watch those critters by the hour. The more you learn about them the more incredible you find they are. 400 pounds is a little one. They will dive for up to 100 minutes! They go incredibly deep on their dives, like 5.000'. They are beautiful in the water.
One of the first times we went seal watching there was a large boulder on the seal beach 1/4 mile away (?). Someone had painted a number on the side which seemed very odd; and then it moved. It was a large bull that had been napping in the sun. We learned they used to brand the seals to monitor some of the individuals and that is what we saw.
If you EVER get the chance to watch them do.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That is so cool, if you can keep us posted on Ellie Mae. Have you spotted her pup yet?
The pup was born on a beach to the South of this beach (but also on Fidalgo Island), in a bay with less human traffic. Made sense for Elsie to pick that site as these pics are taken right in town, and much more public that the birth site.. Here in Tug Boat Park she has always been placid, not disturbed by people, dogs, or even cars ( a problem when she tries to leave the park and go into peoples yards). Pictures of her taken with a new born pup showed her with a fierce look and bared teeth. I did not visit the pup, and after the usual time for Mom to leave the pup, he was moved to a remote site, location undisclosed.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This was taken in May of 2020 when Elsie first tried to venture out of Tug Boat Park and into yards across the street. Two years ago she was still a kid and probably not even half her current weight, length, or girth. Given the life these seals live out on the open sea, coming ashore only to moult and/or give birth, it's a wonder Elsie has been able to return to the neighborhood for 4 years now.

1655173478864.jpeg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Mom lives in Tucson. I went out for a walk this morning and saw a few of these big guys.
20220619_063123.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online