• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I zoomed down the trail to find this fox standing just a few feet off. I rode by it a bit so not to make it feel challenged and my riding buddy caught us up. This fellow/gal (no pronouns provided by the fox) was quite the specimen. Sleek thick fur, huge bushy tail (as you can see in the bass-akwards view ;-) ) and totally unconcerned about our presence.

IMG_20220925_112359702.jpg

IMG_20220925_112356988.jpg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
Neat!

Foxes here tend to be very skittish. I ran into one in the woods hiking once, and had my camera with a long lens on it. I kneeled sort of behind a tree maybe 30 feet away to try to photograph it and not spook it... I leaned out from behind the tree, and it sat there kind of leaning with me, looking at me too - like it was curious. I was really surprised it hadn't already run off - I'd never gotten so close despite seeing one occassionaly. So I slowly raised my camera, and sure enough as soon as it got near my face level, the fox took off like a shot back into some underbrush. C'est la vie.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
^^^
Neat!

Foxes here tend to be very skittish. I ran into one in the woods hiking once, and had my camera with a long lens on it. I kneeled sort of behind a tree maybe 30 feet away to try to photograph it and not spook it... I leaned out from behind the tree, and it sat there kind of leaning with me, looking at me too - like it was curious. I was really surprised it hadn't already run off - I'd never gotten so close despite seeing one occassionaly. So I slowly raised my camera, and sure enough as soon as it got near my face level, the fox took off like a shot back into some underbrush. C'est la vie.
Downtown Breck, 10 years ago.

Not the greatest video, but this is a busy section of Main St. and they kits don't seem the least bit interested in anything but themselves and the parent (mom/dad?) is pretty lackadaisical, too.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I went for a ride today and spent last night near the trailhead. While on a short hike near my camp I came across this. It was the most intact I've seen.

IMG_20221022_083457977_HDR.jpg

I presume it is a deer.

IMG_20221021_152755824.jpg
Near the summit of Georgia Pass at 11,424 feet.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Beatty, NV is known for a few things. Probably number one is being a gateway to Death Valley. Number two is the large candy store located in town. And coming in at number three is the large herd of "wild" burros that call Beatty home. They roam the streets and yards. There was ample fresh evidence that one was outside our motel room last night. This photo started with an open window to get a clear shot of a few jennies with a wee one. As soon as the window went down they ambled over, obviously used to getting a treat. We had no treat and after this photo another stuck her head in the window. Both got a nose scatch and we slowly moved on.
20221110_075718.jpg
20221110_075720.jpg

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Do you have any idea what made it come up on your deck and look inside?
No I do not but sightings have been less rare in recent years. I know both bunnies & squirrels take refuge under the deck all summer but l haven’t seen either recently. My neighbors on both sides have also seen the Bobcat up close during the past few years after snow is on the ground. First time for me seeing one so close & maybe only a half dozen times total over the past 30 or so years from a distance.

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Returning to the fox theme, this recent comedic video of a nervy neighborhood fox was created by my next door neighbor. We have fox sightings almost daily in the suburbs of Wash DC. I often notice dark little piles of fox poop in my yard. This fox riles the neighbor's dog by sauntering up my sidewalk to check out their yard and driveway.

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Jeeez I love nature and all . But looking at some of these latest posts, I can't imagine living where you have to keep your doors shut all the time ,unless something wild can wander in and have a go at you or your pets.
We're quite lucky down here in New Zealand, that there are no predatory animals at all, anywhere near cities and towns. We have feral pigs and goats in the back country and that's about it.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Jeeez I love nature and all . But looking at some of these latest posts, I can't imagine living where you have to keep your doors shut all the time ,unless something wild can wander in and have a go at you or your pets.
We're quite lucky down here in New Zealand, that there are no predatory animals at all, anywhere near cities and towns. We have feral pigs and goats in the back country and that's about it.
Yeah, but don’t you have those birds that will eat the rubber off your wiper blades :geek: !

8F2BFB31-FDBE-4B3C-AF8F-B583F0B9A3A3.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online