• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tin Pants

Putting on skis
Skier
Mountain lion tracks, bear tracks in the backcountry but the closest was mama moose & calf at the ski resort. This was a number of years ago while I was approaching the base area along the woods on the beginner run. I was skiing at a moderate pace when out of the woods popped a large cow moose. I hockey stopped as fast as I could and was close enough to see her eyes grow large as the spray hit her in the face. I think at this time both of us had a very shocked look on our faces. Luckily for me she bolted across the run just as her calf appeared in front of me and chased mama toward the other side where there was a small roped off terrain park. The poor baby moose proceeded to get tangled in the rope line and pull the whole thing down. The incident could have ended much worse as getting between a mama and her calf does not always end well. Moose are huge!
View attachment 67995

Not the first time for me but the other day I scared a grouse out of the powder as I was passing by. I think they like to burrow in the snow when it is storming heavily. The sound of their wings flapping out of the snow can be a little alarming till you realize what it is.
View attachment 67996
I think this i s a ptarmigan

Sponsor

Staff online