• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Will I remember how to ski?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
No. I think the answer is clearly "no". Please have someone explain "pizza" and "french fries" to you before venturing out. It's the only way to be safe.

And maybe wear 2 helmets just in case.

And stay on the green ones! Blue and black mean "scary"!

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I took almost 20 years off, as said above, like riding a bike.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
You need to work up to heavier and heavier footwear until you're eventually wearing your boots and skis. Poles are optional for indoor use.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Most fine ski shops can rent you a set of starter gear like this:
sports_PMS_Saucerboy_web.jpg

Have fun! I didn't get back to lift served until Feb 19 myself this winter.

James

Out There
Instructor
Will I remember how to ski?
Hah, first day I often wonder that on the lift up.
It helps if you remember to assemble all the parts of your equipment.
One year first day I forgot to put in my boot boards. They came out to pour the water out on the last day of spring. Didn’t know till the end of the day when I took them off. I remember skating and thinking, “wow, this is tough. I didn’t think these boots were so stiff! The liner got cut by some of the plate screws.

I would recommend, though there’s only a 40% chance this will happen, that you take the first morning by yourself. Hmmm, 10% chance? How about 1 run? Or ski with Tony, who will make 1,000 turns on the first run which gives you time to warm up.

I wouldn’t recommend the Italian warmup. Which is to pretend you’re in a wcup downhill/flying kilometer. So you go straight.

I’d start wearing your boots a bit to get your feet ready. Actually, the airplane out would be good for that. I can see you now, not hearing the flight attendant’s masked munmblings to take them off. Then the cops are on board and your tasered and hauled off...

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I’d start wearing your boots a bit to get your feet ready. Actually, the airplane out would be good for that. I can see you now, not hearing the flight attendant’s masked munmblings to take them off. Then the cops are on board and your tasered and hauled off...
I'm sure pictures would pop up on social media that would eventually end up in the SX in the wild thread.

James

Out There
Instructor
Maybe this is the year to pull those NOS 1992 boots out of the closet?? They’re going to be a year older if you don’t.
Obviously, this isn’t the best approach, but let’s face it, here’s your first morning-
You attempt to get Tony to use his shortest, turniest skis by talking about slalom skis and turning the night before. Instead, there’s 4” of powder in the morning so he pulls out his longest and widest because he hasn’t skied them yet. This means there’s only 662 turns on the first run. After the first run, of course everyone decides to do a steep bump run. “You’ll be fine!”

Might be a good idea to try Euro style and sit in the sun with a beer in the late afternoon. On the second day you can skill till 4:30.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok. So this is pizza....

405px-Sicilian-style_Pizza.jpg

and these are french fries.....

curlyfries-shutterstock%20crop.jpg

It's so confusing!!
Well you've got it right. Maybe this will help...

You need nice right angles when you "pizza", and when it's time to "french fry" your skis should wrap around each other. Some people may try to tell you your skis aren't supposed to cross or even touch! Ignore those people - the average skier on the slopes doesn't know what they're talking about. If they did, they'd all be in old rear-entry boots.

James

Out There
Instructor
After? I thought a steep bump run would be the first run.
His only chance, which he’ll likely take, is to get on the lift before “they” show up. That gives him at least one run. Now there might only be the chance for like the beginner Molly Hogan lift of Squaw, whatever that is. At least he can confirm he can point the skis left and right before they have to do that plus up and down and confront a 30 degree pitch.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok. So this is pizza....

405px-Sicilian-style_Pizza.jpg

and these are french fries.....

curlyfries-shutterstock%20crop.jpg

It's so confusing!!
Well you've got it right. Maybe this will help...

You need nice right angles when you "pizza", and when it's time to "french fry" your skis should wrap around each other. Some people may try to tell you your skis aren't supposed to cross or even touch! Ignore those people - the average skier on the slopes doesn't know what they're talking about. If they did, they'd all be in old rear-entry boots.

@mdf Forgive me for the technical PSIA jargon but maybe this is easier to remember that pizza equals Big Toe/Big Toe and french fries equals Big Toe/Little Toe.

Reactions: mdf

Sponsor

Staff online