• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Will I remember how to ski?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wait..you haven't skied yet this year?

David Orr

Getting off the lift
Skier
Your brain has short term memory and long term memory....YES YOUR BRAIN still has those movement patterns...it will remember beautifully how to coordinate those movement patterns...especially after the first couple of runs....

IF YOU TRY TO REMEMBER HOW TO SKI...you will undoubtedly FEEL WIERD AND AWKWARD...

Learn to be aware of your body, the skis, the snow, and the mountain.

AWARENESS TRUMPS THOUGHT ALMOST EVERYTIME!

* I TOOK 30 YEARS AWAY FROM SKIING....TOOK ABOUT 2/3 OF MY FIRST RUN TO BEGIN SKIING AGAIN!

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just like falling off a bike.....It will all come back to you in a hurry

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe I should ease into it gradually by wearing shoes.
You're really going to open up the mdf "foot-to-ski connection appliance" discussion with the very first post?

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
First day of season usually is a good day
Yup. Usually pleasantly surprised and then later I realize that I'm doing all the things that I tried to stop doing the previous year, but had meanwhile forgotten even existed.

James

Out There
Instructor
We should have a secret poll of how long he lasts the first day.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Will there be any choice other than last chair?

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’d start wearing your boots a bit to get your feet ready.
I’ve been skiing a very long time and, until some years ago, had never succumbed to odd advice. Then I read somewhere that it was helpful to put on one’s boots and clump around indoors a few months before the season started to accustom one’s feet to the pressure. Because, like pretty much every skier from World Cup to beginner, my feet tend to ache the first few days on snow after a break, I thought I’d try it.
So, it’s midsummer, 90° and I have my ski boots on, ski socks up to my knees, clad only in t-shirt and underpants, marching around in our sitting room when the door bell rings. It’s a FedEx delivery and the guy needs a signature. I open the door. To his great credit, the delivery man doesn’t bat a eyelid but merely holds out his device, gets my autograph and leaves, shaking his head as he retreats down the driveway. I wish I could have read his thoughts!

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I always make some notes on what I was last working on, what I was thinking and what I was feeling on my last runs. My wife thinks I am nuts.
Actually I've always thought the discipline of any kind of ski journaling was admirable and useful. I have a friend who does that. He comes up with some revealing history corrections when we are BSing.

Sponsor