• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

will older maxflex px15 racing fit on R22 plate?

squirreljam

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi all - does anyone know if an older px15 race maxflex ( I'm pretty sure these are the mfx, but Look is pretty liberal with the terms "max" "flex" "rocker" and "race" so I could be wrong - see pic to confirm) will fit on the much newer r22 plate?

Thanks a ton,
Squirreljam
IMG_8480.jpg

TS
S

squirreljam

Skier
Ok, found the answer on another forum, thought it worth reposting here in case anyone searches in the future.

The older px race will not fit the pre-drilled holes in the r22 plate - however, there ARE dimples on the plate that match the old hole pattern and can easily be drilled out. Be aware the dimple area is plastic reinforced but does not have the metal reinforcement that the pre drilled holes do.

I’m going to bite the bullet and start accumulating the newer bindings, at least for racing. Probably keep the ones on the Rec skis, they’re metal and robust.

James

Out There
Instructor
Can you use the Px18?
Some, including me @ 315mm bsl, hate the more recent 15 Rocker race etc bindings. It’s just getting in. Horrible. If I had an easy replacement, I’d burn mine on tiktok ogsmile

TS
S

squirreljam

Skier
Lol, maybe on the 18 but I don’t have any, which kinda defeats the purpose of saving by reusing bindings . I’m a big guy, 6’5’, 215-20, and like metal bindings but don’t need that burly! This ski is for my 1st year u19 so in the past he’s not needed that either.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It’s a mfx, Maxflex. Can’t say if it’ll fit a r22 (you found out already) bit will fit r21.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@squirreljam Yes, the R22 has dimpled holes, but as you have found out, no reinforcement so need to keep a careful eye on the rear screws on the heel piece if you go that direction. Also check the binding delta as the Maxflex sits lower on the ski than the rocker flex so you get a few mm of gas pedal and should look at shimming the heel. If you are looking for rocker flex bindings i have some good used PX18 RF and also some new SPX15 RF at good deals. Personally i only use the 15 on slaloms as it is lighter. The 18 is a much better binding that doesn't feel like it is broken when you step in!

@James, the previous gen maxflex 15 had the same design and mechanism as the 18 so doesn't have the issues of the SPX15

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@squirreljam Yes, the R22 has dimpled holes, but as you have found out, no reinforcement so need to keep a careful eye on the rear screws on the heel piece if you go that direction. Also check the binding delta as the Maxflex sits lower on the ski than the rocker flex so you get a few mm of gas pedal and should look at shimming the heel. If you are looking for rocker flex bindings i have some good used PX18 RF and also some new SPX15 RF at good deals. Personally i only use the 15 on slaloms as it is lighter. The 18 is a much better binding that doesn't feel like it is broken when you step in!

@James, the previous gen maxflex 15 had the same design and mechanism as the 18 so doesn't have the issues of the SPX15
@squirreljam if you take @ScotsSkier up on his offer (His deals are betond generous, I have on of his SL ski sets) PM me I’d be interested in the bindings.

James

Out There
Instructor
Couldn’t you drill the dimple spots and put inserts in? You’d have to take the plate off.

TS
S

squirreljam

Skier
@oldschoolskier - I am taking ScotsSkier up on the bindings but am keeping the old 15s for me (the pic is my old beer league sl)! I was willing to donate them to my (first year) u19 (local league and ussa only, no FIS) but it's probably a much smarter move to start refreshing the lineup.

@James, that's an interesting idea - I'm sure you could. For me, when ScotsSkier offered a new binding at good value, the balance between cheapskate and git'er'done tipped in the other direction:ogbiggrin::ogbiggrin:

James

Out There
Instructor
@James, that's an interesting idea - I'm sure you could. For me, when ScotsSkier offered a new binding at good value, the balance between cheapskate and git'er'done tipped in the other direction:ogbiggrin::ogbiggrin:
Well I have that same plate and binding combo on a Dynastar I forget what. It’s a good looking binding. Decent ski, no one wanted the combo at $125 despite a hundred years of edge left and a nice grind. I may just keep the plate/binding.

Sponsor

Staff online