• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Poll Will the current economy impact your ski days in the 2022/23 season?

How will the current economy and inflation impact your ski days next season?

• No change. I'll cut back other things more.

Votes: 59 41.8%
  • Some change, maybe stay closer to home but still traveling some.

Votes: 32 22.7%
  • Big change, I'll have to take it easier if the economy doesn't recover.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I'm gonna ski even more!

Votes: 24 17.0%
  • Flawed poll as usual..

Votes: 18 12.8%

• Total voters

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It's been going on now long enough to see how inflation is impacting our monthly budgets. Hgh level talk is that the average family monthly budget expenses have gone up by about $350-$400. What's the higher cost of everything going to do to our vacation play time money this winter?

I just returned from 5 days at an Air BnB beach condo but had I known 3 months ago when I made the reservation I probably would have gone a cheaper route or just stayed home.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Powder High

Getting off the lift
Skier
The market crash has significantly eroded my savings. It was mostly in equities, with the rest in bonds that also tanked. Worse, almost half was in one particular growth fund, with poor management that just sat back and watched it fall, I now realize. That will impact my plans this coming winter.

Had I known:doh:, I would have pulled out of the market last December.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Nothing will change for us thankfully. Prior to us moving in CT maybe but 6 months into the pandemic we bought a place 25 minutes to local skiing so more skiing nowadays. Plus we're grateful to have our place in VT. When I'm not in Boston for work I work from home so I save on gas so driving to and from VT is a non issue.

Last edited:

Bozzenhagen

Getting off the lift
Skier
I just splurged and bought 4 season passes. I'm going to see what I really want and then downsize on passes possibly for next-next season. The cost to benefit ratio is dwindling considerably for me unless I get a trust fund. I may go less next season and keep it weekdays only.

The draw of living next to an ocean and eating lots of seafood sounds appealing.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm in a situation where I can probably maintain the status quo where I get to ski in UT for several months each winter.

However, in the winter of 2020-2021 I made the roundtrip drive from VA to UT twice. Didn't really want to do that, but it had to do with avoiding airplane rides and a requirement to shuttle my wife out to UT to join me for an extended period. I will try very hard not to have to do that twice in close succession in future years because the gas for each round trip (~4000 total miles) would now be close to $1000.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
We are not in a recession; we are in an expansion that the Fed is trying to control. We may not have a recession; the Fed is trying to avoid one. A recession is a reduction of GDP for two consecutive quarters, and we certainly aren't there. While the current inflation is painful to many, it may be short lived. We'll see.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I chose flawed poll for no other reason than SkiTalk.com has become more significant on several levels and we're already getting invites to media events that will make us more busy and more important.
Not sure how our budget will handle it, but we are a driving force in the industry and will NEED to travel more and do more to bring content to the masses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Between Stowe charging $30/day for weekend parking and the 15 gallons of gas for the round trip…. That’s easily another $100 per trip.

yeah. That will be impactful.
I'm just waiting to learn that you've made an arrangement with your employer and will be spending three months in the Rockies. Preferably somewhere with an extra bedroom.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We are not in a recession; we are in an expansion that the Fed is trying to control. We may not have a recession; the Fed is trying to avoid one. A recession is a reduction of GDP for two consecutive quarters, and we certainly aren't there. While the current inflation is painful to many, it may be short lived. We'll see.
As always, there is a different "we" for every reader. Macro affects everyone's micro a little differently.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I'm just waiting to learn that you've made an arrangement with your employer and will be spending three months in the Rockies. Preferably somewhere with an extra bedroom.
Have to say I like this idea of zigging while the world zaggs.

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
We already bought our Ikon passes & we don't travel to ski anyways, so I don't think it'll change anything that much. I guess it's a really different calculation for locals?

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Zero change here. Zero need to cut back on other things, because those other things like Nordic skiing, cycling, fly fishing, etc are not a fanatical burden.

What will drive my decision (aside from days teaching at another resort) the quality of experience that our local ski areas provides (and our local ski hill is a place that I would never instruct again, until new ownership arrives).

Sponsor

Staff online