• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Poll Will the current economy impact your ski days in the 2022/23 season?

How will the current economy and inflation impact your ski days next season?

• No change. I'll cut back other things more.

Votes: 59 41.8%
  • Some change, maybe stay closer to home but still traveling some.

Votes: 32 22.7%
  • Big change, I'll have to take it easier if the economy doesn't recover.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I'm gonna ski even more!

Votes: 24 17.0%
  • Flawed poll as usual..

Votes: 18 12.8%

• Total voters

Bozzenhagen

Getting off the lift
Skier
I know the difference between 4 and 10 dollars a gallon with my car's MPG and my yearly driving is only around $4K a year; so I should be "ok" given some "worst case scenario with gas".

But dam seeing those numbers at the pump still shocks me.
(also the reason why I wouldn't consider an electric car unless some other circumstances change).

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Most of my skiing for next season is already paid for. Ikon bought and paid. Rental secured and deposit paid. Rest in the bank. So it's the gas and après $$. Since it is a 4 1/2 hour drive to start with, I usually try to make long weekends of my time. I think the après $$ might have to less. I do know that the eating establishments have raised prices due to lost income during closures. Plus resorts are always more than local off the hill places.

Starting thinking about next vehicle. Not sure about Canadian winters and electric cars/SUV's. Or I'm just not ready to jump into that yet.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Poll Will the current economy draconian _ _ _'s impact your ski days destinations next season?​

images.png

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Yep. Giving it some thought, I need to forget about fuel economy and get the fast one (or another fast sedan).

Because I'll be happier with a faster car, despite worse fuel economy, I think it makes better economic sense.

My thinking is the highest cost is depreciation. If I buy a slow, fuel-efficient car, I'm likely to get rid of it because it's boring and trade it for a fast car at some point. Instead, if I buy a car I love from the beginning, I'm more likely to keep it for 15 or 20 years (like my current fast car). Then the total cost per year gets tiny, and the marginal fuel cost is negligible.

How's that for rationalizing a fast car? :ogbiggrin:
That explains the overwhelming vote on the poll too.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Have made a little note on my calendar to start looking for used roadster next February. By that time there should be enough people with incentive (think 'my spouse told me to sell it or else') to sell gas toys that there could be some pretty good buys in the area.
Not a bone picker but will pick up on a deal when it is offered.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hmm. Might impact the method of accessing my ski days. I ski a lot of day trips in New England traditionally. Rising gas cost is a strong incentive to be more of a destination skier. Even with 35mpg, staying near the mountain for 3+ days is quickly going to become the cheaper option. And if that's the case why not fly somewhere nicer anyway?

Bozzenhagen

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hmm. Might impact the method of accessing my ski days. I ski a lot of day trips in New England traditionally. Rising gas cost is a strong incentive to be more of a destination skier. Even with 35mpg, staying near the mountain for 3+ days is quickly going to become the cheaper option. And if that's the case why not fly somewhere nicer anyway?
Maybe more, concerningf IRS's cost of driving per mile for business purposes is now over 60 cents a mile.

It could be because of other things, but Mint states I spend about as much money as I did 10 years ago as I do now.
Except my rent is several times higher, and I have some bougie habits.

I think it's because I live much closer to the slopes. Mister Money Mustache even advocates for a car-free (or less) lifestyle to the path of financial independence....

I've thought about wasting some days in Breckenridge by using their bus system to decrease my mileage per year, but I'm really not at that point yet.

Snuckerpooks

Getting on the lift
Skier
Live 5 minutes from a local ski hill. Not much but for $35 (5000円) for a seasons pass, and a free pass for helping jr. races at a big resort, no slowing down. My car is a tiny 4WD kei-car here in Japan and gets around 50~55mpg. I've got no problems.

Rather, ski gear is going to be the limiting factor. The market is already small in Japan so any mid-season hiccups and it's second hand or nothing.

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Our ski season consists of taking kids to the local hill, so no, this won't affect it.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Wife and I drive our own vehicles to the slopes mid week non holidays so she can leave when she wants. We just back from a 5200 mile Florida Beach driving vacation. Cost of staying sitting on the couch is higher. Gas is not a dealbreaker.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Anybody going to brown bag it if burgers and pizza are now $30 instead of $20?
I started brown bag when burger/pizza reached $10. Never have to look at the price of them for some years now.

I even started to bring my own soup (in a thermos) when soup cost went double digit. (basically, any cafeteria food going over $10, I bring my own)

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
Have made a little note on my calendar to start looking for used roadster next February. By that time there should be enough people with incentive (think 'my spouse told me to sell it or else') to sell gas toys that there could be some pretty good buys in the area.
Not a bone picker but will pick up on a deal when it is offered.
I don't think prices will drop much on gas toys. Most toys are already paid for and it's just a matter of gas and insurance. I have an ancient Jeep to go 4 wheeling in and a 07 Vette to take up the Columbia Gorge once in awhile for lunch or dinner.
For daily use and skiing we use my wifes Honda Crv. My wife is a quilter, she has her toys and I have mine.
When I bought my last pair of skis I did beg forgiveness after I bought them :)

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When I bought my last pair of skis I did beg forgiveness after I bought them :)
My hubs and I have a deal - I buy skis or a snowboard, he gets to buy a gun or major gun component. Although I don’t expect my ski days to change, I am trying to be more mindful of gear purchases for this season.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My hubs and I have a deal - I buy skis or a snowboard, he gets to buy a gun or major gun component. Although I don’t expect my ski days to change, I am trying to be more mindful of gear purchases for this season.
I hope you're getting high end gear so it equals out! As a firearm enthusiast I think skiing ends up being cheaper!

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I hope you're getting high end gear so it equals out! As a firearm enthusiast I think skiing ends up being cheaper!
Frankly, our gear storage room is above the garage… where he never goes… and I work from home, whereas he does not… so I’m not sure he would notice a new purchase if I were to buy some new sticks without informing him.