• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Window Shopping for Gravel Bikes

Bozzenhagen

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'll have to think more on this. I have limited space but could theoretically squeeze N+1 bikes in. It's likely going to be sell road bike + get gravel, or N+1 with a mtb! Thanks to everyone who replied.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll have to think more on this. I have limited space but could theoretically squeeze N+1 bikes in. It's likely going to be sell road bike + get gravel, or N+1 with a mtb! Thanks to everyone who replied.

If space is an issue, I'd simply buy the new and not-quite-yet-available Trek Domane and two sets of wheels/tires.

Middle of the road geometry and room for 40c tires if rumors are true. No more isospeed decoupler, with compliance instead being built into the frame itself.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
If space is an issue, I'd simply buy the new and not-quite-yet-available Trek Domane and two sets of wheels/tires.

Middle of the road geometry and room for 40c tires if rumors are true. No more isospeed decoupler, with compliance instead being built into the frame itself.
If you have $4k. :geek: :roflmao:

TS
S

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I stopped by the Canyon showroom this week in Carlsbad, CA

It's not a LBS... it's like a Tesla sales concept. Their distribution center is out of Chino Hills, CA...

you look, test ride, then order from their website.

Then the unbox and final assembly and tuning and fitting is up to you, or via Velofix.com. So that adds into the cost.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

The new Domane looks really good, kinda do it all bike. Still a bit heavy but nothing outrageous...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The new Domane looks really good, kinda do it all bike. Still a bit heavy but nothing outrageous...

Yup. With my mtb emphasis, the Domane could be my "one" road/gravel bike, but it's going to be a low priority, since my current Emonda and Checkpoint cover even more ground, are paid for, and seem to fit me great.

Although the toe overlap on the Emonda bugs me at least a bit......

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Emonda and Checkpoint

No. You don't need a Domane in this case. Definitely not. The Emonda handles waaaaay better and is a better road bike, the Checkpoint is a better gravel bike.

Who needs one bike for everything when you can have 2 or 3, right? :ogbiggrin:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Since I can go to Canyon's store in SoCal...

Hits the right pricepoint.... $2700 with 11-speed GRX components. Not sure about the double decker bar though, but it has extra space from the double decker bars to mount your accessories on each bar, from a front light (say on the bottom bar) to a phone/Garmin holder on the top bar....

Cannondale's Topstone Carbon 3 is a little over $3000 and heard great things about the kingpin "rear suspension"

Specialized Diverge is $3500
Has SRAM Apex 1x with a generic sunrace 42T cassette and "Future Shock" front suspension/

Trek Checkpoint is $3400
With the Isospeed decoupler on the seat tube-top tube interface with the GRX 11-speed components

They are all great bikes. Its a matter of getting the one in the right size for you.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider

(note, I am NOT endorsing a 1x drivetrain!)

Chris Cross.jpg

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Who needs one bike for everything when you can have 2 or 3, right? :ogbiggrin:
When your daily loop involves half road and half gravel? ;)

I have 4 bikes: road, gravel, HT xc mtb, dualie MTB. Still, some of my rides I felt I was on the "wrong bike" and wished I was on my "other bike" half of the time! That said, my gravel bike is still the most versatile of them all and I'm on that bike more than the other 3 combined. Yet, there're times when I was riding my road or mtb on the terrain that suits it well, I would think to myself "Jeez, this is seriously fun, I should ride ThIS bike more", whatever "this" happen to be...

This had gone on long enough I have since stopped going after bikes. I look for trails and roads that suits my bike(s) and my body to produce the most joy instead.

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When your daily loop involves half road and half gravel? ;)

The Domane is just the right bike in this case.

Still, some of my rides I felt I was on the "wrong bike"

That's the curse of the modern day cyclist. Hence the N+1 rule.
Big fan of gravel bikes. When exploring new routes it is always on the gravel bike. Had some nasty surprises in the past when there was no road where it supposed to be or good surprises where the supposed MTB tracks turned to be smooth forest paths.
And the geometry is waaaaaaay more relaxed than the road bike.
When we go on holidays it is the only bike I take. It suits very good without excelling on everything I am interested in in terms of terrain.

Last edited:

Sponsor