• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Window Shopping for Gravel Bikes

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
That there is some serious saddle-to-bar drop, Fausto! :ogbiggrin:
I suffer abit of PTSD from coming of age as a crit racer during the ‘slam that f****ing stem’ era. No more -17 degree stems for me these days, but I can still hear angry coaches/elders yelling at me to drop those bars lower….

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I suffer abit of PTSD from coming of age as a crit racer during the ‘slam that f****ing stem’ era. No more -17 degree stems for me these days, but I can still hear angry coaches/elders yelling at me to drop those bars lower….
I showed Tuna a pic of my roadie and he said, you have about 2-3cm of bar drop from the saddle..and I was like "YEAH EFFIN RIGHT I DO!!!" :ogbiggrin: Not quite that loud but without the gut intrusion I'm sure I would have about 4-5cm of drop. I may be old but I still got SOME flexibility left in the old spine!!

chris_the_wrench

Skier
What size of tires?
On my wife's road bike, 25's. She has a tendency to ride over debris, so that bike runs the specialized armadillo elites. 28's would be VERY tight on the fork crown. On my road bike I run the 26c s-works turbos, I find those are a good compromise for size/comfort/speed.

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
On my wife's road bike, 25's. She has a tendency to ride over debris, so that bike runs the specialized armadillo elites. 28's would be VERY tight on the fork crown. On my road bike I run the 26c s-works turbos, I find those are a good compromise for size/comfort/speed.
I guess I was trying to get a sense whether a suspension stem adds anything on a typical gravel bike that runs minimum of 30mm tires on lower pressure.

chris_the_wrench

Skier
I guess I was trying to get a sense whether a suspension stem adds anything on a typical gravel bike that runs minimum of 30mm tires on lower pressure.

I can't report anything about that tyre size, but I think @Tom K. may have some first hand experience.

chris_the_wrench

Skier
What are the bells for?
Bears, although Ive recently been hearing the bells may not be that effective against them???, plus hikers. I try to be very respectful to my fellow trail users, slow WAAAAYYY down and announce myself, but occasionally there's a blind turn and the bells give'em a bit of a heads up.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Yes. Unequivocally.

I'm running 35c tires. If you go too far down the rabbit hole of lower pressure, squirmy cornering and/or pinch flats follow.

TS
S

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yes. Unequivocally.

I'm running 35c tires. If you go too far down the rabbit hole of lower pressure, squirmy cornering and/or pinch flats follow.
Tubeless ready tires, valve stem and sealant.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
I like the isospeed rear suspension on my checkpoint. I also really like the frame bags that are made to fit.

I wish I had the isospeed bars and I don’t love the electronic shifting on mine, but those are the major paint points (+ I learned if you want to do group road rides you may get frustrated without road wheels and tires). Very happy and would give the checkpoint a pretty unreserved recommendation overall.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I like the isospeed rear suspension on my checkpoint. I also really like the frame bags that are made to fit.

Have you ridden with them loaded? Any shimmy, like on fast downhills?

I wish I had the isospeed bars

Vibration, shock, something else?

and I don’t love the electronic shifting on mine,

Interesting - here I have been racking my brain to restomod old steel to electronic shift.

(+ I learned if you want to do group road rides you may get frustrated without road wheels and tires).

Just straight line some potholes on a downhill - that'll teach your wheelsuckers :D

(You're not wrong, though there is also a period of adaptation when one joins any given group ride/wolfpack)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
and sidewall burps, don't forget thems. :thumb:

Never had one with tubeless on hooked bontrager wheels. Knock on wood.

For pressures, a guy could type for hours, or simply say that this is a GREAT starting point:

Tire Pressure Chart.jpg

Sponsor