• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Windshield wipers

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm starting to suspect that the washer fluid, especially the winter mix and Rain-X stuff eats in to the wiper blade rubber and causes them to crack and tear faster the stronger, more concentrated it is.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
After several years of using whatever was available at Costco, late last winter I decided to switch to Bosch Icon based many inputs upthread. But, with the early closure of last year's ski season, the decision didn't get applied until today.

We have a heavy storm coming our way (West Coast/Tahoe). OpenSnow calls it the First Real Storm of the season.
https://opensnow.com/dailysnow/tahoe/post/19234
I'm hoping to find out how the new wipers perform in the next few weeks.

Fingers crossed (on a number of fronts).
I’ve been quite happy with Icons on my last two trucks. I think the GM OEM ones that were on my current truck when I got it are almost identical.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I don't like rain x that much. It's good when raining except when I pass under street lights and I get this glare that I can't see through momentarily. But it's every light. And I find it doesn't clear salt as well. I use a lot more in winter. I've gone back to plain old alcohol based fluid. Ymmv

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I don't like rain x that much. It's good when raining except when I pass under street lights and I get this glare that I can't see through momentarily. But it's every light. And I find it doesn't clear salt as well. I use a lot more in winter. I've gone back to plain old alcohol based fluid. Ymmv

Me too, maybe it's the salt that's grinding the blades causing them to wear out quicker than when the old school washer clears the salt faster?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Rain-X anti fog for the side mirrors..

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Define "premature"..
Mine lasted two years on average before changing to "better" washer fluid. Now I get anywhere from 6 months to a year tops.
I have no data. I was just giving you a purely anecdotal POV. I change my blades once every two years. Or more frequently. Or less frequently. :rolleyes:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
<- uses it on side windows and outside mirrors.
I have used RainX after cleaning all my car windows. I put it in a spray bottle wipe down my windows I think it helps keep them clean longer.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have used RainX after cleaning all my car windows. I put it in a spray bottle wipe down my windows I think it helps keep them clean longer.
I've noticed with the original wipe-on Rain-x it's easier to get frost off.

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
^^^^
Icons are great, but $$$$. I've been getting Bosch Aero blades. Not quite up to Icon standards, but a package that includes both driver and passenger sides, requires no adapters, reasonably long-lasting and costs less than a single Icon.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Again, I don't like the noodle like flex of the Icons. I can see them wiggling in the wind and rain and especially heavy snow. Perhaps that's by design, just bugs me though..

James

Out There
Instructor
Interesting on the rain-x. Maybe mix it half and half with the old school stuff?
What about old school rain-x rubbed on the windshield instead of the rain-x washer fluid?

Sponsor

Staff online

• Wendy
    Resurrecting the Oxford comma
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January