• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Windshield wipers

TS
Plai

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After several years of using whatever was available at Costco, late last winter I decided to switch to Bosch Icon based many inputs upthread. But, with the early closure of last year's ski season, the decision didn't get applied until today.

We have a heavy storm coming our way (West Coast/Tahoe). OpenSnow calls it the First Real Storm of the season.
https://opensnow.com/dailysnow/tahoe/post/19234
I'm hoping to find out how the new wipers perform in the next few weeks.

Fingers crossed (on a number of fronts).
Well, 4 months later, 3x week long or longer trips, multiple snow dumps, poorly scraped windshields and misc debris stuck under while in use, I would have expected at least some minor streaking. Nope, performs almost like new. There's no squeak from dry glass either. There's a slight degradation in performance, but I can't really put my finger on it; so, that's negligible. I'm a convert. Thanks guys.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Well, 4 months later, 3x week long or longer trips, multiple snow dumps, poorly scraped windshields and misc debris stuck under while in use, I would have expected at least some minor streaking. Nope, performs almost like new. There's no squeak from dry glass either. There's a slight degradation in performance, but I can't really put my finger on it; so, that's negligible. I'm a convert. Thanks guys.
Does the cost justify the added value based on the short term use?

TS
Plai

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Does the cost justify the added value based on the short term use?
I'd say yes. The Icons last a lot longer than other wipers that I have used. They also seem to have less of an issue with freezing to the windshield.
Depends on personal value system.
1. Longer lasting. Costco brands lasted maybe 2 months before (minor) streaking.
. [Usually good enough for drier N CA winter. Visual safety issue.]
2. Costco ones definitely didn't last that long before squeaking against dry.
. [Covid winter has allowed for more and longer trips, which meant more experiencing more storm cycles on the road instead of the driveway. Borderline safety issue, mental fatigue.]
3. +1 on non-sticking in the freeze
[This was a nice surprise. Thanks @Ogg for the reminder. A parking lot convenience.]

For me, the improved visual during driving is more than enough (safety issue). I also much prefer quieter vehicles, especially on longer drives (borderline safety issue.)

I think I found the Icons at about 2x price of costco ones vs regularly around 3x. I'd buy Bosch Icon at their regular price again. It was the squeaking that made me look for a replacement two seasons ago.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Depends on personal value system.
1. Longer lasting. Costco brands lasted maybe 2 months before (minor) streaking.
. [Usually good enough for drier N CA winter. Visual safety issue.]
2. Costco ones definitely didn't last that long before squeaking against dry.
. [Covid winter has allowed for more and longer trips, which meant more experiencing more storm cycles on the road instead of the driveway. Borderline safety issue, mental fatigue.]
3. +1 on non-sticking in the freeze
I also like the ideas of producing less waste whenever possible, even thought skiing is probably one of the more environmentally impactful activities one can do.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Paul, if you're still scraping your windshield, I do recommend getting a frostguard (or similar knockoff windshield cover). So much easier and since this is the wiperblade thread, will save your wiper blades too... Extra note: Frostguard often goes on sale or coupon codes floating around.

TS
Plai

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Paul, if you're still scraping your windshield, I do recommend getting a frostguard (or similar knockoff windshield cover). So much easier and since this is the wiperblade thread, will save your wiper blades too... Extra note: Frostguard often goes on sale or coupon codes floating around.
I think you mean https://frostguard.us/
I'll pass. I can see wetness freeze cycle sticking the fabric to the windshield. The recent experience scraping the windshield was the first time in 3 years. If it was more frequent, might consider.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If your concern is about sticking its more like a shower curtain with antistick side / it doesn't really stick. But wholy up to you. Saves me a ton of time, esp. in the mornings when you have to hustle for first tracks, and an extra 10min is all the difference.

Last edited:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
If your concern is about sticking its more like a shower curtain with antistick side / it doesn't really stick. But wholy up to you. Saves me a ton of time, esp. in the mornings when you have to hustle for first tracks, and an extra 10min is all the difference.
10 minutes to clear your windshield? It doesn't usually take that long to clear my whole truck off.:huh: My wife has one of those but she doesn't really use it anymore. It was more hassle than it was worth and tended to scratch the paint if there is salt or sand on it.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
yea man with a rightside up storm its the foot of powder then the pebbled ice frosted on the glass before its safe to drive.

Sounds good, if you've somehow got your hassle free routine dialed, no need for a solution if you dont have a problem.

James

Out There
Instructor
Silblade update: the blades are great - still running the first pair from years ago - well sort of. The frames broke apart and I had to hack the silicone wiper into a Bosch frame.

The blades - but only the blades and no other part of the wiper - have been on the car since November 2017 in a high ozone area, no streaking or skipping.
I didn’t think they still made them. Nothing says “late night tv ad product” like SilBlade. But damn did they work.
My experience with SilBlade was amazing. At the time, I bought both winter, rubber covered, and summer versions. Laziness being the mother of invention, and product studies, I never took the winters off. They worked too well. I had them on over 4 years. And a couple years I was doing well over 20k miles/year. Never squeaked, but towards the end would streak some. Too lazy to change them, sold the truck instead. ogsmile

Those were only 18 inch though on a relatively flat, archaic windshield.
Bosch micro edge would last like 2-3 months. Terrible.

Have you tried PIAA? Looking at those next. I’m tired of not getting great clearing. But geez, their “catalog” is 80’s and missing pages.

Sponsor

Staff online