• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wine Glasses

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
- Gabriel-Glas, StandArt Universal. For when we are drinking something special, or having a special night, or having a wine that for some reason just doesn't seem to be showing to its presumed potential the Chef&Somms. At $32 a pop, these are not cheap, but I prefer them to anything but some Zaltos which I'm not about to pay for.
A household accident killed my remaining flat-bottomed (more or less) Riedel a few weeks ago. I used this as an excuse to spring for a pair of the Gabriel StandArts. I'm finding that I love them for whites but am completely underwhelmed when reds are poured. :huh: Maybe they are simply too small for my tastes?

20210516_180357-01.jpeg

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A household accident killed my remaining flat-bottomed (more or less) Riedel a few weeks ago. I used this as an excuse to spring for a pair of the Gabriel StandArts. I'm finding that I love them for whites but am completely underwhelmed when reds are poured. :huh: Maybe they are simply too small for my tastes?

View attachment 133915
one must have priorities .... so I understand having to suffer with an inferior glass :roflmao:

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
one must have priorities .... so I understand having to suffer with an inferior glass :roflmao:
Trying to figure out what the ski gear analog to a wine glass is. For canoeing or kayaking it would be the paddle. Whatever it is, it's important.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Trying to figure out what the ski gear analog to a wine glass is. For canoeing or kayaking it would be the paddle. Whatever it is, it's important.
Side cut. Has to be right for the snow conditions and terrain to fully enjoy. Could say the same for stiffness and camber I suppose.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I mostly drink out of a stemless glass and cannot really tell the difference in the taste based on the glass. Thanks everyone posting in this thread for reminding me of what a classless pig I am :cool:

Reactions: tch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Research Report: Bubbly Sauvignon Blanc is a bad match for large Chardonnay glasses.

The wine is too dry and lean for that. And no, I didn't really want flutes - I wanted saucers to get direct bubble fizz in the nose.

20210515_164650_HDR.jpg

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

View attachment 133915

Okay, first, I changed my mind about the Gabriels and red wine. Like them a lot. AND, as @jmeb advertised, they are sturdy. Moreover they're relatively easy to wash, which is more than I can say about one of my previous experiments.

But now I have a new wrinkle to share.

@Wending is not fussy about wine. (She is, however, being a designer, discerning about aesthetics.) So I was totally delighted when she produced these affordable glasses out of nowhere. As pure tasting instruments, I like them better than the Gabriels for whites, and almost as much for reds. From a "feel" point of view I like them better. Going to check out their other models eventually.

"Fit and finish," if you will, is fully on par with Riedel Veritas. Very light, very balanced, very nice rim. At $10 per stem they are 1/3 the price. My only reservation is that they are made in China. A little concerned that I might be poisoning myself, or at least some indigent worker.

Anyway, check them out. Gabriel on the left, Rovsya on the right.

PXL_20221130_224741006.PORTRAIT-01.jpeg
PXL_20221129_231928991.PORTRAIT-02.jpeg