• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fat Bikes Winter Rides 2021/2022

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Are they migrating this time of year through your riding area? Or do they hang out in this area all winter? We have moose in montana, but I see maybe a couple a year from a long ways away, Ive never got up close and personal(unlike bears).

XC road trip to Lone Mountain Ranch where you will almost be guaranteed to see a moose or two. Often CLOSE up. Often right on the xc trails themselves!

Also, mountain goats at the intersection of Big Sky Road and the Gallatin Canyon Highway. They used to like to lick the salt off the pavement.......

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The tricky part here was riding off the rock!

IMG_0663.JPG

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We've got a cold Norther going right now -- well, cold by my standards. Also 20+ winds, so I thought I'd get out today before the real cold hits tomorrow and Wednesday.

IMG_0675.JPG

Cold, yes, but I was there for the rope drop, and lots of first tracks!

IMG_0676.JPG

TS
firebanex

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Tonight I tried to put my riding pants on backwards. Then I fell over while not riding my bike three times. Had no problem riding my bike, but the standing around talking sections were really hard to stay upright. It was a fantastic ride though, I found so much relaxation and peace just pedaling through the woods tonight.

And for one of the more rare instances, it was only 12*! warmer than your ride @Tom K.

20220221_184905.jpg
20220221_202435.jpg
IMG_1607.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tonight I tried to put my riding pants on backwards. Then I fell over while not riding my bike three times.

So in terms of your net energy balance, do you think you gained or lost heat with the pants episode?! :ogbiggrin:

TS
firebanex

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Oh man, that ride was all over the place too. Enjoyed the heck out of it but kept falling over while standing next to my bike. We even saw three moose, one walk down the trail and the other two bedded down in a field staring at us.

Wife has a girl's night planned for friday, gonna try to sneak in a ride after work. Temps have been lovely this week, bit of a fools spring event with daytime highs scratching 30*. We still got 6 weeks of legit winter left.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Everything was pretty rideable today post storm including more speed downhill ^^^^. Sometimes there are little techy climbs that are easier in the snow because stuff fills in and the snow has great traction.

Saw some really muddy fat bikes on the back of a 4Runner on the way home. These kind of days you’d maybe want the whip. This loop is about 6 miles, didn’t ride it all that much slower than normal.

56DE968A-F698-456F-B8A5-D78F5F4CA63C.jpeg
BB21601F-E03D-4B11-A9A7-3DDE4CA657DE.jpeg
F6B29EF0-8B83-4CE1-B98A-A737078C590B.jpeg
91C7AFED-1F96-49B7-863D-ABECC64B2D28.jpeg
6D140989-EA8C-419E-BB2F-6D087590F0ED.jpeg

TS
firebanex

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Some of my fastest times are winter times! Nothing like a PR going through a root garden when it's covered with like 18" of packed snow.

Rode solo the other night.. a Moose didn't wanna give up the trail so I had to turn around and do an out and back instead of the loop I had planned. Talking to my riding buddy over the weekend, sounds like that particular Moose has taken up residence on that section of trail.
20220225_184013.jpg
20220225_184940.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Rode solo the other night.. a Moose didn't wanna give up the trail so I had to turn around and do an out and back instead of the loop I had planned. Talking to my riding buddy over the weekend, sounds like that particular Moose has taken up residence on that section of trail.

Oof. I had that happen on a LONG xc loop once. Had to turn back when only 10 minutes from brunch.

This added over an hour of frankly unwanted skiing/climbing.

Man, that was a good brunch!!!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Been warm here. Fat biking should resume nicely tomorrow.

Stay tuned......

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Cool ride at 35°. Snow was pretty rippable. Was debating whether it would be worth It.

Skiing can get disappointing at times in March, MTB tends to really start going the other way.

1A45D936-8A27-4BD9-B1C8-8B00ED39CFD9.jpeg
DC55C8AA-F4A7-4F5C-81A1-12CC59EC8779.jpeg
3875A0A4-E33B-4475-8342-01AE2E0AB1B2.jpeg
7BFEE926-D966-494C-9FDD-2685AB93DEAA.jpeg
E5C90114-91CC-4C3A-BE56-1909AE1D6AD7.jpeg

TS
firebanex

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Temps are back below zero again for the next week, still solidly winter here! Skiing at my area shuts down in two weeks for insurance reasons, I'll get another day or two at the other area in the beginning of April. I'm mainly planning on some bigger spring winter rides with a friend. If we start out early enough in the day the trails will be frozen solid and fast enough to get some serious adventures going on. Our spring hits hard and fast, the roads and bike paths will be just about clear enough to start road riding the second week of April and the winter trails will fall apart about the same time. About a week after the leaves pop out in May things will have dried out enough to bust out the MTB again.

I haven't been on my fat bike in two weeks due to life and being lazy about finishing the minor upgrades I started on it. Got a XX1 shifter and a slightly higher rise bar to help with position after I put a different fork on at the beginning of winter and it has a super short steerer tube. Had to flip the stem to get close to my old position, hoping the extra 7ish mm from this bar get me the rest of the way there. Gotta spend the effort to move the silicone grips over. ugh.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Got a XX1 shifter

I recently noticed a lot of lateral slop in my stock NX RD. Replaced it with an X01 and also replaced the shifter with a GX.

VERY noticeable upgrade. Kind of surprised.

Gotta spend the effort to move the silicone grips over. ugh.

Compressor. Five minutes.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I recently noticed a lot of lateral slop in my stock NX RD. Replaced it with an X01 and also replaced the shifter with a GX.

VERY noticeable upgrade. Kind of surprised.

Compressor. Five minutes.
X01 derailleur and shifting is a huge upgrade over GX. My bike had GX that required constant adjustment, X01 is largely set and forget.

The ethirteen Helix cassette has also been flawless, that upgrade is as advertised. I figure I have a thousand miles on it now - I’ve totally forgotten about it outside of how good the shifting continues to be.

TS
firebanex

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
20220322_184905.jpg

8*f and a 15mph wind. BUT THE SUN WAS UP!!! We didn't even need to turn our lights on at all during the two hours we were out after work tonight.

I am pleased with my bike upgrades, the new ENVE bars have a touch more rise and sweep back than my previous RaceFace bars did. Significant comfort improvement with the slight changes. I really just need to get another fork with an uncut steerer tube as that is the primary issue.. but the bar was cheaper and got me 95% of the way.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like great riding @firebanex!

Somewhat sadly, I think our fat biking season ended with a surprise Sunday snowfall of less than an inch. Glad I got some of that, as the switch to Spring seems to have flipped here.

Should be on regular mtbs shortly, but first a couple more weeks of spring skiing!

TS
firebanex

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We got a couple weeks left in the prime season. No storms in the forecast and the freeze/thaw cycle means the trails will be bulletproof, makes for essentially icy sidewalks weaving through the trees. After months of slogging through soft snow, we love these spring weeks of high speed fatbiking.

Sponsor

Staff online