• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Winter SPD Shoes

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Opinions on really warm SPD shoes/boots?

The fat biking bug has bitten, and I am going to need something one degree warmer than my winter-ish Diadoras.

NOTE: There are separate threads for debating the clipless/flats issue. :ogbiggrin:

NOTE 2: Leaning at least a bit towards the OMW boot, as reviewed here by @Ron:

Last edited:

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Hands down, Bontrager Old Man Winter boots. And they are on sale right now (but I think Tom is sponsored ). And while you're at it, pick up the Old Man Winter pants.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester

I started a long term review here but these are so comfortable. Excellent grip on flats (but are SPD compatible) stiff enough for good energy transmission

Last edited:

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I did the Silverton 10 Hour Whiteout in 45NRTH's Ragnarok. It was -9 at start time. Then the wind kicked up. Ambient air temp never cracked "zero". I also worn Specilaized's heavy bib tight with wind layer, and thought that I would be so hosed. Thought about layering Carhartts over them. However the tights actually worked well.

All was good until we got to a quarter mile section or so that was steep hike-a-bike, waist deep through unpacked snow on lap one. That immersion froze me. Really destroyed me for the rest of the day.

I rarely go out if it gets to the low teens. The Ragnarok's have been a winner. They are also my go-to winter training boot for all riding.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I did the Silverton 10 Hour Whiteout in 45NRTH's Ragnarok. It was -9 at start time. Then the wind kicked up. Ambient air temp never cracked "zero". I also worn Specilaized's heavy bib tight with wind layer, and thought that I would be so hosed. Thought about layering Carhartts over them. However the tights actually worked well.

All was good until we got to a quarter mile section or so that was steep hike-a-bike, waist deep through unpacked snow on lap one. That immersion froze me. Really destroyed me for the rest of the day.

I rarely go out if it gets to the low teens. The Ragnarok's have been a winner. They are also my go-to winter training boot for all riding. Wearing a OTC ski sock on those cold rides helps with foot warmth.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am on Shimano winter shoes....model is..something, something..701.

Pretty warm and with enough room for real thick socks. I haven't tested them at temperatures below 0 yet so cant say anything about real cold weather.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Ragnarok and Shimano SH-MW701 appear to be similar to the Diadoras I currently have and love -- but I'll be needing one level warmer soon.

Leaning towards a pair of the Bontrager Old Man Winters. In my retirement from racing, Trek continues to be quite kind to me, plus @Ron endorses them!

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
These are very popular around here:

Under say 25ºF I think you would need something warmer but that is gonna be much more bulky but hey you will be warm

I wasn't able to connect on that link, see if this works. these are fine if you are using clipless and riding in moderate temps.

I guess its dependent on where you live but 25* is not all that cold. Personally, I bought a pair of electric socks to go with the Old Man Winter boots.(and snowshoeing) Although I rode them in 25* without the E-socks and my feet were plenty warm, I ride in the 10*-25* range. I need something several inches high with the ability to block out snow from going down the top of my boot, but not bulky or heavy. once the snow gets deeper you will want something that will allow some hike-a-bike with decent snow traction. the 45NRTH's Wolvhammer's are nice but the new design with the Boa doesnt have great reviews and they are quite heavy.

Last edited:
TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks to all for the input. I've got a pair of Old Man Winters coming my way, and will report back.

Note to Head of IT: "OMW" does NOT always mean On my way!!

Now.......maybe on to socks? I use some nice, cushy Thorlo ski socks -- SKX I believe. Anybody have a favorite sock that is ridiculously warm?

I see @cantunamunch likes neoprene, which I haven't used since my whitewater kayaking days.

Reactions: Ron

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm on my 7 or 8th pair of winter specific clipless shoes (going back to old Lake winter boots....whatever happened to lake bike shoes anyway?). I use the 45nrth Wolvhammer Boa's I've used for a few seasons-super warm, super dry-stiff soles, comfortable (but you know you got big boots on). If it's wet/ snow covered I'll use them up to 35-38 degrees, and have used them in single digit snow rides without complaint.

I also picked up a pair of the ragnarok shoes from 45nrth-I used them on wet cold morning DH'ing and in cool dry condition down to 25-30 degrees and in wet cool condition from 35-555, they are really nice, warm, dry but fit and ride like a typical mountain shoe.

I'll say the 45nrth shoes are the best winter boots/ cold wet weather shoes I've used in 25 years of winter riding. Never tried the Bontrager stuff, though, I'm sure its good, too.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Thanks to all for the input. I've got a pair of Old Man Winters coming my way, and will report back.

Note to Head of IT: "OMW" does NOT always mean On my way!!

Now.......maybe on to socks? I use some nice, cushy Thorlo ski socks -- SKX I believe. Anybody have a favorite sock that is ridiculously warm?

I see @cantunamunch likes neoprene, which I haven't used since my whitewater kayaking days.

Use HOLIDAY40 at Point6 for 40% off. I use very thin socks, with the job of cushioning being the job of the midsole, insulation the job of the insulation kit.

OTC socks are preferable for warmth. If you are fit, there is very little thermal mass in the lower leg - lots of vascularity right on the surface with 2 thin layers of dermis over it. OTC socks create a warm micro climate for blood going to the feet, and to pre warm returning blood before it reaches your core.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Use HOLIDAY40 at Point6 for 40% off. I use very thin socks, with the job of cushioning being the job of the midsole, insulation the job of the insulation kit.

OTC socks are preferable for warmth. If you are fit, there is very little thermal mass in the lower leg - lots of vascularity right on the surface with 2 thin layers of dermis over it. OTC socks create a warm micro climate for blood going to the feet, and to pre warm returning blood before it reaches your core.

Thanks, Marty. So close. I'm also a fan of OTC socks. In fact, until it gets truly cold, I ride in winter-ish knickers and OTC socks.

But I'm a committed medium cushion guy, and too old to change, and Point 6 had nothing in stock in the medium cushion/OTC category.

Joel

Having fun
Skier
I have also been looking, for my feet, I'm down to a couple offerings by 45NRTH and Lake. Still trying to decide on a bike before I move on boots.