• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC winter vacation, where?

chip inderhol

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Turning 60 in early Feb., trying to make a list of places not too far of a drive from PDX. Now when I say not too far I mean no more than 5 or 600 miles. Day trip drive. Thinking Canada. Big White, Revelstoke, Sun Peaks, ect. Would like decent diversity of terrain, but I'm no thrill seeker. I'm advanced not expert. Ski in ski out would be nice, but not a must. Although I would prefer not driving to ski every morning, I will if it's worth it. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Consider Sun Valley, right within your max driving distance. Good advanced mountain, steepish groomers and moguls. Not a lot of powder, though. Some ski-in, ski, out, but not a lot. Good bus system though and good parking at the two bases. See my guide on this site.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Schweitzer, Idaho would be a great choice without quite as much driving. There's a good variety of ski-in ski-out accommodations, and also a lot of options in the village that are less than 15 minutes' walk to the slopes. Assuming you're not fogged in, the views of Lake Pend Oreille are fantastic. Ski terrain is a great blend of steeps, rolls, and cruisers, and the summit has wide-open steep snowfields like a mini-Snowbird.

Red Mountain in Rossland, BC also checks your boxes. There's some lodging right at the base, and more nearby. The ski area feels like Colorado in the early '80s... no high-speed lifts, fewer crowds, but really great terrain and an enthusiastic après scene.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Mt bachelor is 150 miles from pdx. No slopeside lodging, but access road from bend is pretty level. Good and fun mtn for "advanced" skill level.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
SV to Targhee to JH, then suck it up on the drive back! ;)

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Revy is a long drive.

I'd wait to see which way the macro weather patterns are swinging. Then go NE, or SE, as dictated by weather. Having had a ski house in Glacier, WA, thjere were a few winters when even Mt Baker was not skiable.

TS
chip inderhol

chip inderhol

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
SV to Targhee to JH, then suck it up on the drive back! ;)
Thanks Tom. You know, there is nothing like a 15 hour drive through the Rockies, over the Blues, and then down the Columbia River Gorge in the middle of winter to cap off a nice relaxing vacation.:nono: Have thought about Red mountain in conjunction with Schweitzer. Have friend who lives near Sandpoint. It's the easiest drive for sure. I'm just trying to narrow the list down. And yes Martyg I have thought about the weather patterns. Most early predictions (for whatever they're worth) are for a similar winter to this lat year, which is why I'm focused on the north. But I probably won't book until September just in case the predictions change. I'm just information hunting. Most of the people here have been to a lot of these resorts and can give better information then an ad for the resort.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Yeah Red and Whitewater are a good shout, Nelson is worth a stay and mooch around if you've never been but you'd need to drive up to WH20 (pretty easy) If you routed via Spokane you could even get a day in at 49 North my favourite little US ski area

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I'd go with Bachelor. So it's close (300mi round) but nothing special. Except the daily tix prices. Don't go on the weekends. Or you could go with a Mom & Pops like Hoodoo. Way cheaper, family vibe, closer.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I caught Mt. Bachelor with everything open on a three day visit about ten years ago. It was fun and very different from East Coast and even Rocky Mtn resorts.
Frontside
bachelor cone.jpeg

Backside
bachelor backside.jpeg

Northwest side
bachelor shadows.jpeg

jcjpdx

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'm going to throw another idea into the mix. Have you considered Amtrak from PDX to Whitefish, Montana? I did that a few years ago with my two sons. The train leaves a 4pm, if all goes well you get to Whitefish 7:30 am. (We got there at 10:30 am due to the aftermath of an ice storm in the gorge.) You arrange for a shuttle to the resort, stash your stuff and hit the slopes! Check into your accommodations after 4 pm. We stayed at a condo that was not quite ski-in/ski-out but a short walk. There is a free shuttle bus into town, which has a 4 or 5 block stretch of bars and restaurants. On a clear day you can see Glacier National Park from the top, and there is a statute of Jesus at the top of Hellroaring run, go figure.

DSC00531.JPG DSC00543.JPG

TS
chip inderhol

chip inderhol

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm going to throw another idea into the mix. Have you considered Amtrak from PDX to Whitefish, Montana?
10 years ago I was down to Whitefish and Whistler. I ended up going to Whistler because it was so much faster to drive there. But the train idea did intrigue me. Would have to leave the pup at home if I go by train. A week without my dog? I don't know.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks, Silver Star, Big White, Apex, Schweitzer, Red Mt, Whitewater, Whitefish. Take your pick. I haven’t been to all of them, the ones I’ve been to have been great. I drove to Schweitzer twice this year from where I live, an hour north of Seattle, have been there several times. Next season I plan to visit Red with my Ikon pass, and may do an early season ski camp at Sun Peaks.

Portland to Whitefish is around 600 miles. If I was driving to Whitefish, I’d plan a couple days at Fernie as well (another couple hours). And probably someone here will also insist if you’re going to Fernie you might as well go to Castle Mt (which is yet another 1 1/2 hours).

Comparing driving distances:

Portland to Sun Peaks is 630-ish miles.
Portland to Silver Star is 530- 550 miles depending on the route you take. Big White is similar.
Red Mt is 464 miles, Whitewater 508 ( Nelson is about an hour from Rossland).
Schweitzer is 434 miles.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
But the train idea did intrigue me. Would have to leave the pup at home if I go by train.
The east bound train from sea/pdx to whitefish USUALLY leaves those stations on time, but Ive never seen it arrive on time. Usually 1-3 hours late. The west bound train comes out of Chicago(pretty sure), its usually significantly later by the time it arrives in whitefish. Plus frequent snow slides/trees falling/etc can totally cancel/delay trips. The train IS a fun experience but make sure your schedule has some flexibility!
Driving from pdx to whitefish is a haul in one day, especially during the short winter days. Lookout pass doesnt close frequently but Ive had to change travel plans because of closures several times. Even the gorge gets closed occasionally.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
never been to Schweitzer but many days on all the rest. You should like all of them.
Other than Whitewater all have on hill lodging,
If you prefer a last minute trip or snow chase and don't mind the short drive from the local town Sun Peaks and Big White are the longest drives at aprox 50 min, the rest are 20-35 minutes out
Red Apex and Silver Star have the more challenging areas while Intermediates tend to love Big White Sun Peaks and Whitefish however there is enough variety at all of them for several days .
Odds of fresh snow are better Big White Fernie Whitewater and Whistler
Chance of rain is higher at Red and Fernie.
Have skied in fog at all of them but Big White Revelstoke Whitefish and Whistler are the local industry leaders.

If your not fixed on one hill for the duration pick a pod and do several in it. Less driving for more selection and who knows when you can do it again .
pdx- Apex Big White Silver Star
pdx -Schweitzer Red White Water
pdx -Whitefish Fernie Castle
my favorite loop is
Whitefish Fernie Castle Sunshine Lake Louise Kicking Horse, Revy with many other options on route weather permitting but we start in Vancouver. .

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Comparing driving distances:

Portland to Sun Peaks is 630-ish miles.
Google maps says just under 500 miles crossing border at Sumas. You'd want to time going through Seattle to avoid commute traffic and note that this route includes Coquihalla Highway which received a lot of damage last Nov. It's supposed to be permanently repaired by the end of this year.

I have one day at Sun Peaks and enjoyed it. After skiing I drove to and spent night after in very remote Lillooet, which is more than halfway to Whistler. It sounds like you are not pass-centric as Whistler, with maybe a weekday stop at Stevens Pass, seems like it would work well from Portland with Epic Pass, and there are quite a few Ikon resorts within 600 miles of PDX in both PNW and Canada.
Whitefish Fernie Castle Sunshine Lake Louise Kicking Horse, Revy with many other options on route weather permitting but we start in Vancouver. .
A few more commas between ski area names would be easier to read. And if Whitefish is too far for OP, forget about adding Fernie, Castle and Lake Louise

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Step down one tier and you would have Silver Mountain and Lookout Pass in Kellogg/Wallace ID. Slope side (sort of) in Kellogg at Silver Mt. Lookout Pass is going to have a new pod of terrain opening up which is always fun. It is all Interstate driving to get to these from Portland, they both get some of the better-quality snow in the PNW due to height. Some good quality low budget skiing.
If the boarder is an issue, which it is for some, it is an alternative.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Step down one tier and you would have Silver Mountain and Lookout Pass in Kellogg/Wallace ID. Slope side (sort of) in Kellogg at Silver Mt. Lookout Pass is going to have a new pod of terrain opening up which is always fun. It is all Interstate driving to get to these from Portland, they both get some of the better-quality snow in the PNW due to height. Some good quality low budget skiing.
If the boarder is an issue, which it is for some, it is an alternative.

Boarders are an issue at a lot of mountains.

Sponsor

Staff online