• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Women’s Alpine World Cup 2023/24

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Whatever is going on seems to be more than just equipment setup. Her line was off in the first run and she barely made the flip. Gotta think there's more to it than just boots.

It certainly is. Don’t have the complete picture but I know she has been working on updating her skiing and with that boots has been swapped. It does not work for Anna right now and she is very frustrated. This happens sometimes when you chase those last tenths and hundies. Remember HK:s Oddysey.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
What do you mean, "just" boots?

ASL has had a truly underwhelming start to her season - very strange given her setup was dialed last season with a win, a second, and two third-place finishes during what was a consistently strong campaign.

I understand wanting to try and find extra hundredths wherever possible, but her stance and setup were working great per most coaches whose judgement I trust. It was mostly tactics and the mental game that seemed to be off, two things that don't rely on, well, boots.

It's not atypical for athletes to bury the lede on lingering or chronic health issues. ASL had her share of health issues during the 2020-21 campaign and also had a fairly tenacious COVID case. So there could be any number of deeper, more lingering issues at play. She's definitely frustrated - the body language was easy to read in the athletes' corral in the finish area. Her second run was definitely better but when she was the second racer out of the start and finished behind the young upstart who started before her it couldn't have felt great.

I mean, it could be her boots. She is on a new pair of Heads - the plates are blue and not the previous neon yellow - but I still wonder exactly why she'd feel the need to mess with an equipment setup that worked super well for her last season.

I'm not ASL I'm not her coach, or her Head tech, or her boot fitter. Just a seasoned coach who is seeing something wrong that isn't necessarily equipment related.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
ASL has had a truly underwhelming start to her season - very strange given her setup was dialed last season with a win, a second, and two third-place finishes during what was a consistently strong campaign.

I understand wanting to try and find extra hundredths wherever possible, but her stance and setup were working great per most coaches whose judgement I trust. It was mostly tactics and the mental game that seemed to be off, two things that don't rely on, well, boots.

It's not atypical for athletes to bury the lede on lingering or chronic health issues. ASL had her share of health issues during the 2020-21 campaign and also had a fairly tenacious COVID case. So there could be any number of deeper, more lingering issues at play. She's definitely frustrated - the body language was easy to read in the athletes' corral in the finish area. Her second run was definitely better but when she was the second racer out of the start and finished behind the young upstart who started before her it couldn't have felt great.

I mean, it could be her boots. She is on a new pair of Heads - the plates are blue and not the previous neon yellow - but I still wonder exactly why she'd feel the need to mess with an equipment setup that worked super well for her last season.

I'm not ASL I'm not her coach, or her Head tech, or her boot fitter. Just a seasoned coach who is seeing something wrong that isn't necessarily equipment related.
She has been adjusting her skiing, getting hands down, narrowing stance… to improve. With this season new boots. Levi a disaster. Plan was to try to take a step back to the ”old” yesterday. Now it clearly has created frustration and become a mental game. She has some time until next race. But these things can be the classical can of worms, in worst case. Let’s hope not.

Awalkspoiled

Booting up
Skier
Those three - Shiffrin/Vlhova/Holdener - seem to share the podium more than any other trio, maybe ever. Does anyone know if that's the case?

(And BTW, I've despised K-World and all it stands for over more than fifty years, but whatever else they do, they certainly do this weekend well..)

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The Podium Picker and Predictor League Thingies.

I was in second place in the Predictor competition after a couple of races (!!!) but then of course I somehow missed the Gurgl event and plummeted with a zero score.

Anyway, what I really came here to ask was, "Does anyone else really hate the 'What will be the total race time for first place?' question for every single Podium Picker round?" Who cares what the total time is? It's just geeky arcana that sends you digging for no reason that has anything to do with the substance of the competition. It's a turn off.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
The Podium Picker and Predictor League Thingies.

I was in second place in the Predictor competition after a couple of races (!!!) but then of course I somehow missed the Gurgl event and plummeted with a zero score.

Anyway, what I really came here to ask was, "Does anyone else really hate the 'What will be the total race time for first place?' question for every single Podium Picker round?" Who cares what the total time is? It's just geeky arcana that sends you digging for no reason that has anything to do with the substance of the competition. It's a turn off.

Yeah - and even worse our answer only applied if our winner's pick wins. So it ups the reward for picking the winner. Puck for winner came 2nd - awwww - too bad.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah - and even worse our answer only applied if our winner's pick wins.
That's not true. For instance, I picked Vlhova to win the SL at Killington... she finished second... I still got 100 points because her time was within 0.02 seconds of what I put.

1701475027946.png

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
The time thing is just such a WAG. Who could possibly say how fast or slow a given set will be? Now moving to a venue that hasn't been used in 40 years we are supposed to make some educated guess? It seems like dumb luck if anyone is on it this weekend and only a bit more than luck on other weekends.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
IMG_3818.jpeg

LGB
BASSINO
SHIFFRIN

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That's not true. For instance, I picked Vlhova to win the SL at Killington... she finished second... I still got 100 points because her time was within 0.02 seconds of what I put.

View attachment 217084
^^^ One of those patient course time researchers, obvs. Whatcha gonna do about Tremblant, then, eh?

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The time thing is just such a WAG. Who could possibly say how fast or slow a given set will be? Now moving to a venue that hasn't been used in 40 years we are supposed to make some educated guess? It seems like dumb luck if anyone is on it this weekend and only a bit more than luck on other weekends.
I don't think it's a guess when certain people play.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And once again I was not on the ball. Some of the men's choices are closed already.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
And once again I was not on the ball. Some of the men's choices are closed already.
I can still make picks for the races that haven't happened yet, like tomorrow's. Can you not? I wonder if it will let me change my picks, but not let someone make new picks or something...

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Are you sure? I just made picks & posted startlist on the Men’s WC Page. Today’s cancelled race would have been closed.

How am I supposed to guesstimate a time when I don’t know which start they are using?

My guesses have been way off so far.

Sponsor

Staff online