• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Women’s Alpine World Cup 2023/24

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So wait... there were TWO slalom races this weekend? I guess I'm not familiar with the drill.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So wait... there were TWO slalom races this weekend? I guess I'm not familiar with the drill.
Yes... it's not a consistent schedule, like there's one of each type of race each weekend. And sometimes rescheduling cancelled races will make some things pile up some weekends too.

You can see the World Cup calendar here:

The "Category and Event" column shows the planned events (though they include downhill training runs sometimes). For instance, if you look at Beaver Creek, you see "2xDH SG"... that means 2 DownHill races, and one Super Giant slalom. It doesn't include the DH training. But if you look at Zermatt next weekend you see "5xDH", which is 3 training runs and 2 races - which you can see if you click on it.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ah-ha!
What about "Category?" I see FIS, and WC, then there is ENL, NJR, TRA, etc. I guess these are like the Korn-Ferry tour?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Ah-ha!
What about "Category?" I see FIS, and WC, then there is ENL, NJR, TRA, etc. I guess these are like the Korn-Ferry tour?

Ah... maybe the filters I had set aren't working for you. If you want to just see the World Cup events that are the topic of this thread, in the "Category" drop down at the top section, pick "World Cup". In that case, all you'll see in the "Category and Event" Column are:

TRA is TRAining runs
WC is World Cup races
SL is Slalom
GS is Giant Slalom
SG is Super Giant slalom
DH is DownHill

If you select "All" in the "Category" drop down at the top, you'll see all FIS events, including junior events, world championships, etc. In that case:

ENL is ENtry League
NJR is National Junior Race

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I get it! (The default shows ALL races.)
<hat tip>

For whatever reason, I was assuming each race weekend had a race for each discipline, i.e. SL, GS, SG & DH.

Last edited:

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
More surprises for me, sort of.
Not Duerr.
Surprising always to see a skier in top form make a mistake, but that's all it takes, one mistake. Surprising that Vlhova didn't dial it back just a little with such a lead halfway down? Easy to say, hard to do though as she seems super confident in her skiing and she was probably the most surprised of anyone.
MS seems a bit ragged still, not that easy grace of last season. She said that the injury doesn't bother her on the course, but 11 days of suspended training did affect her.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
All I can say from watching this weekend is that Vlhova's slalom is a step ahead of everyone right now. I doubt even a 100 percent healthy Shiffrin could beat Vlhova right now.
yup, maybe the best I’ve ever seen her ski!

She (Vlhova) seems to be staying on an extremely early, tight line with her skis slicing & very little chatter. Why?…
…because she can!! Except, that was the tactic & risk that caught her today.

With that said, Shiffrin was tentative coming onto the pitch in every run this weekend. Shiffrin is a competitor & I’m sure she is not happy with the way she won today. Once it sinks in & her close call in training fades, I think the gap will close. Also, now Vlhova has to deal with the fact that she straddled today! Straddles can often be like getting the shanks in golf :geek:. Hopefully she blows it off & continues to shred!!

So great to see so many racers young & new, old & veteran contending for the top 10!
IMG_3787.jpeg

I get it! (The default shows ALL races.)
<hat tip>

For whatever reason, I was assuming each race weekend had a race for each discipline, i.e. SL, GS, SG & DH.
Welcome to ski racing ogsmile!
It’s complicated ogwink

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
yup, maybe the best I’ve ever seen her ski!

She (Vlhova) seems to be staying on an extremely early, tight line with her skis slicing & very little chatter. Why?…
…because she can!! Except, that was the tactic & risk that caught her today.

With that said, Shiffrin was tentative coming onto the pitch in every run this weekend. Shiffrin is a competitor & I’m sure she is not happy with the way she won today. Once it sinks in & her close call in training fades, I think the gap will close. Also, now Vlhova has to deal with the fact that she straddled today! Straddles can often be like getting the shanks in golf :geek:. Hopefully she blows it off & continues to shred!!

So great to see so many racers young & new, old & veteran contending for the top 10!
View attachment 215495

Welcome to ski racing ogsmile!
It’s complicated ogwink
Kind of crazy that Vlhova was the only DNF of the day.

JTurner

Always tryin' to get better
Skier
For most of the weekend she really was skiing great and rolling up onto a clean early edge better than almost anybody. But on the turn that got her she went really direct with a lot more drift at the top of the turn, and when her skis hooked up just above the gate they were on too direct a line.
It’s going to be fun to watch the rest of the season, she looks dominant right now.

Last edited:

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
DH training scrapped today at Zermatt-Cervinia due to weather.

Something tells me this ambitious plan to have DH racing in Europe in November isn't worth the investment...

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
DH training scrapped today at Zermatt-Cervinia due to weather.

Something tells me this ambitious plan to have DH racing in Europe in November isn't worth the investment...
Probably more reliable to do it in September or October or just keep it as a training venue.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
Training for the women’s DH at Zermatt-Cervinia is set to start at 11:00 CET, weather could be better.

GranBecca.jpeg

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
They got in their training run. The times are almost 30 seconds shorter - lower start, obviously.

At least that has happened and they can run races this weekend, so... yay?

Only a few North Americans in the field. USST has Johnson, Wright, and Wiles. ACA has Fleckenstein. Of note is Roni Remme, now racing for DSV, whose run was very much a "doing it for the experience" exercise given she's coming back from injury.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Thanks for the updates!
Any weather forecast?

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice to see Ledecka is back in action. She's always fun to watch as the loose cannon who can come out of the blue (well, maybe not so out of the blue anymore) and spoil someone's big day.

Sponsor

Staff online