• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

WOMEN’S World Cup 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The wind simply wasn't giving up and snow was drifting all over the place. If you can't see the surface you're skiing on it's really difficult to ski with any conviction - and that's not safe, especially at GS speeds.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
No surprised. My “peeps” on the hill were saying that winds were picking up, inconsistent and all over the place.
AND, there were concerns about the surface breaking apart when they were dealing with lousy visibility.

Too bad, but the only call to make.
Agree 100% with @Rudi Riet ^^^.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Wolfgang Maier (German head coach) was telling that main issue was timing. Wind was suppose to move timing cells in finish and they couldn't get them calibrated properly again or it just took too much time to calibrate whole system again. He didn't say that was official reason or anything, but he said this was going on on radios.
It sounds pretty weird for me, as normally cell system is pretty hard to be moved if done properly, but it does make sense that recalibrating whole system takes whole lot of time.
As for safety goes, ORF had interview with Shiffrin and Gisin, and noone of those two was complaining about safety. Both were asked about safety and neither said that it's dangerous. Both actually said it's not dangerous.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There was something odd with the timing from Shiffrin and on, can’t say that it was, but it felt odd, like something was off. Goggia clearly strange.

Biggest today: Frida Karlsson beats Terese Johaug in 10k classic XC WC. TJ hasn’t lost a 10k since 2015.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Just a crappy day of late November New England weather dealt by mother nature….that impacts “a lot” of the event,
including the timing. Have seen the same issue at early season NCAA carnivals in the Northeast before. Lots of confusion blowing around the sensors. Hope for a better day tomorrow.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes Goggia was very obvious. However I felt there was something not right with the timing in Federicas and Michaelas runs too (besides the skiing), perhaps not.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
The timing thing did seem weird. In fact everything about the race seemed weird, wind, visibility, lowered start… probably the best call.
Shiffrin just looked slow & Worley looked fast. Maybe a headwind for Shiffrin or her back did not allow her to get aerodynamic but her skiing although smooth did not look fast. Whatever it was I did not hear any excuses, in fact she said she thought the wind was consistent and the course was well prepped.
Hope the slalom comes off without a hitch tomorrow. I wonder if Ligety ywill be in the booth again?

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Shiffrin just looked slow & Worley looked fast. Maybe a headwind for Shiffrin or her back did not allow her to get aerodynamic but her skiing although smooth did not look fast. Whatever it was I did not hear any excuses, in fact she said she thought the wind was consistent and the course was well prepped.
Hope the slalom comes off without a hitch tomorrow. I wonder if Ligety ywill be in the booth again?

Shiffrin looked stiff and out of sorts on her run, especially in the steeps. Lots of inclination, not a lot of the dynamic body movements she typically displays. All of the delays, wind holds, etc. definitely didn't do her back any favor, nor did the lack of GS training leading into today. She wasn't 100 percent and it was clearly evident in the way she skied. She looked a bit like latter-day Ligety: limited range of motion and far too much inclination led to a wider, rounder line that simply wasn't going to be fast compared to Worley and Goggia.

And I highly doubt MS would call out the course crew in public for bad maintenance. I'm sure the surface was OK for her run and she realizes that winter sports are at the mercy of whatever nature deals out. The crew did the best with what they had - they busted their butts to make sure the track was as ready as it could be. But there were times when the track was covered under a mist of drifting snow and as I said earlier: in alpine racing if you can't see the surface it reduces confidence and increases the chances of something going horrifically wrong. These athletes are wired to go all-out - that is their safe place - and when they don't have 100 percent confidence in things is when mistakes are made.

The timing system kerfuffle happens from time to time, and while re-synching it is not the most perilous procedure, it would add another 30-40 minutes to things if they had to re-post the finish eyes - more delays, more chances for the weather to change.

It was the right call in the end.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I really liked Ligety’s commentary. More of that, please.

Does anybody know if he was on-site at Killington? I'm guessing he was at an NBC studio in SLC, Denver, or LA. Most of the time the commentary crew isn't at the race locale. Porino and the other field reporter (name escapes me - cue more coffee) are always there for these things. Doug Lewis is on-site but as part of the venue announcing crew (as is Warner Nickerson, who does a lot to rev up the crowd).

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
In ORF Interview Shiffrin said wind was quite bad, but when she was asked if it influenced her skiing, she said she can't blame wind, and it was same for everyone, which I don't really agree. If it would be constant wind, then yes, but when you have gusts then someone gets worse, someone better,so not really same for everyone. But no matter who ORF interviewed, noone was complaining about wind or course preparation. It's right in my mind, it's outside sport and you can't have nature under control, therfore sometimes things are not perfectly fair for everyone, but once someone gots advantage, next time someone else has, so all in all its still pretty fair.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Does anybody know if he was on-site at Killington? I'm guessing he was at an NBC studio in SLC, Denver, or LA. Most of the time the commentary crew isn't at the race locale. Porino and the other field reporter (name escapes me - cue more coffee) are always there for these things. Doug Lewis is on-site but as part of the venue announcing crew (as is Warner Nickerson, who does a lot to rev up the crowd).
Heather Cox, per this press release

I'm willing to bet Ted's not on-site. Probably in UT. He'll be doing the Birds of Prey commentary too - maybe he'd be on-site for that, but ... probably not.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Heather Cox, per this press release

I'm willing to bet Ted's not on-site. Probably in UT. He'll be doing the Birds of Prey commentary too - maybe he'd be on-site for that, but ... probably not.
I was hoping for Bode at BoP but I guess we could do worse than Ted.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The first few racers had some visibility and you could see them come onto Preston's Pitch, but then the wind picked up and was blowing snow up the hill into their faces. A couple had to throw them sideways to stay on the upper course. Shiffrin avoided that but was slow. Worley was more solid in her run (4th) and in 1st, but even the onsite commentators mentioned her baubles and surprised at her finish. Perhaps that was the start of timing issues?

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Slalom…
530D4E4F-92BD-4289-A8CB-669BAE6903A4.jpeg

Vlhova
Shiffrin
Holdener

ASL
Slokar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online