• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

WOMEN’S World Cup 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

James

Out There
Instructor
Woo hoo! Got win, place, and show!
Surely i should get an all expenses paid trip to Kitzbuhel! bikecrash

Four and five picks not close though.
CAN goes 8,9.
Shiffrin
Vlhova
Duerr

Liensberger
ASL

Blast from the past, 2013 Wch at Schladming

Unofficial results-
F04E08F8-9994-424C-AD47-2E5BE1F46B77.jpeg

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Great race!

Shiffrin really turned on the jets for the second run - she earned that win. Vlhova made a few critical mistakes. Duerr skied really well and was pumped to finish third, even at almost one second arrears.

Moltzan was skiing well until she straddled. St.-Germain had a corker of a second run, making up for a lackluster first go.

The course held up well and you could tell the athletes were super pumped to race on such a storied piste.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The next 14 wins will be a fight.

Totally! MS isn't as dominant as she once was. Today's second run was a glimpse at how great she can be, but she's not as capable of doing that every run, every day as she once was. Vlhova, Hector, LGB, ASL, Goggia, Bassino - they all can beat her any given day in their various specialties.

It'll be a tough mountain to climb. She can do it, but will she? Time will tell.

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
Totally! MS isn't as dominant as she once was. Today's second run was a glimpse at how great she can be, but she's not as capable of doing that every run, every day as she once was. Vlhova, Hector, LGB, ASL, Goggia, Bassino - they all can beat her any given day in their various specialties.

It'll be a tough mountain to climb. She can do it, but will she? Time will tell.
Do you think she is not capable of doing that as often or the competition is just better?
Shiffy had a free hand in SL for years - her win ratio seems to have flipped from 75/25 to 25/75. Petra and Shiffy are same age.
And with Petra pushing her, Shiffy is more prone to DNF's - something that was also flipped just a few years back.
GS has always been tighter than SL and she is better in GS now, but field is still strong.
Anyway, I am hoping she can get to 87...but needs a good run of wins over next couple years.

Last edited:
TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Even before anyone else skied all I could say was “WOW” while watching Petra’s first run!
Mikaela’s 2nd run was inspired & I think she knew it but wasn’t certain till Vlhova came through the finish line & a Stenmark record goes down! Emotions drain energy & create doubt where confidence brings calm & boosts energy. We’ll see if this win brings confidence to Shiffrin & creates doubt for Vlhova :huh:.

For me the winner was Liensberger for her exceptional performance through the final gates :golfclap::eek::golfclap:!!!

@James congrats on the trifecta :thumb:

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
So Petra wins the SL crystal globe even though 2 races to go.

1641958580060.png

Going to be an interesting WSL at the OG.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you think she is not capable of doing that as often or the competition is just better?
Shiffy had a free hand in SL for years - her win ratio seems to have flipped from 75/25 to 25/75. Petra and Shiffy are same age.
And with Petra pushing her, Shiffy is more prone to DNF's - something that was also flipped just a few years back.
GS has always been tighter than SL and she is better in GS now, but field is still strong.
Anyway, I am hoping she can get to 87...but needs a good run of wins over next couple years.

It's a little bit of both. MS is older and her chronic injury (back) is catching up with her, and she's not the same carefree person she was a few years back. At the same time her competition has gotten better: stronger, more technically proficient, raising the bar in their own way.

I can see the logic in Petra's pushing MS to go more aggressively than what used to be the norm. That's the mental game as much anything else. MS came onto the scene well before Vlhova, but now Petra is just as strong as MS, if not stronger, and is riding a wave of top performances over the past few seasons. And her new setup with Pini seems to be a perfect formula for long-term success.

MS has definitely improved in GS, but so have so many others. MS used to have decent SG chops, but those are blunted ever since Jeff's death and her stepping back from speed (as well as her back issues limiting speed training this season).

Getting to 87 will be a huge challenge. Hopefully she'll stay around long enough to make it a realistic one.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Nuts that it's 11 Jan and the globe is done and dusted and WSL season effectively over.

Personally I think MS will tap out prior to 87, possibly even as soon as this Olympics or the next World Champs. She's seen what wrecks Vonn and Mancuso became and she is so hyper marketable* she can have her pick of post racing careers. No knowledge of course.

* which would only diminish as she becomes a faded star chasing an elusive total.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
Watched the replay last night with my daughter. We both wondered, why not back -to -back night SL’s at Schladming for both genders?
Seems like a home run for all. The women deserve an event at possibly the most iconic slalom hill in Europe, and imagine the (hopefully soon again) crowds? It could exceed Killington.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ted Ligety thinks Shiffy can get to 100. I’ll settle for 87 - but it will be tough. Would be nice to go into next season needing 10 or less.
Ted Ligety is not inside her head right now.
You can see the emotional strain on her every time she puts together another win.
Her first BIG win was at Schladming , at the 2013 World Champs. As a 17 year old high school senior she wins the SL, with her mom and dad (with tears of joy flowing) in the stands.
Every one of her wins right now must trigger emotions from these memories.
To predict she can continue for another few seasons, I think is way premature at this point.
if she retired after the olympics I would not be surprised.

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
Watched the replay last night with my daughter. We both wondered, why not back -to -back night SL’s at Schladming for both genders?
Seems like a home run for all. The women deserve an event at possibly the most iconic slalom hill in Europe, and imagine the (hopefully soon again) crowds? It could exceed Killington.
yeah, back to back would be amazing ! But as we saw together in '20, it would take too long to clean up the empty bier cans and gluhwien cups after day one to have a race the next day ! :)

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah I think it’s doubtful she’ll go long enough for 14 more wins. More likely to pull a Seinfeld, Hirscher and go out on top before the big decline.
The press made such a huge deal of Serena Williams going for the record that it probably contributed to her meltdown against Osaka at the US Open in 2018. She needs one major win now to tie. Probably not going to happen.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
1E5DB5EA-3D9A-4C0B-B0F4-3312DAAA35B9.jpeg

Goggia
Gut-Berhrami
Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online