• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

WOMEN’S World Cup 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Great hill that has a bit of everything and exciting terrain.
Heard an interesting comment from Pernilla (Wiberg) about Goggia: Did anyone else notice that her suit wasn’t fully zipped up? Distracted?
Cool that Fede(x) got a top ten in this race — hill/dicipline.

Last edited:

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
1642356417865.png

What does the blue bib beside Robinson's name mean?

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Love when Brignone sends it!
Great day for the techier skiers. Sure would have liked if Shiffrin had been there.
3792FAC1-7516-4545-A8B6-38635D4CF888.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
Pretty tight grouping for a women’s race, no?
You’ve got to go to 20th before 1 second difference.

James

Out There
Instructor
Isn’t Red bib the current leader in that discipline?
I thought Blue bib was last season’s winner in the event at that venue, but that doesn’t work for Robinson. So, :huh:

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Isn’t Red bib the current leader in that discipline?
I thought Blue bib was last season’s winner in the event at that venue, but that doesn’t work for Robinson. So, :huh:

Yes, red is current dicipline leader (WC). Not sure what blue is?

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
As some already wrote, red is current discipline leader in World cup (not WCSL), but for blue, I never saw it. It's certainly not "last years winner" as for Zauchensee there's no last year. Zauchensee and St. Anton are exchanging WC races each year, so one year is St. Anton, then Zauchensee, then St. Anton again (same as Lienz and Semmering). Also if I remember right, there's no mention of "blue bib" in FIS marketing guide, but I could be wrong.

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When there is a blue bib next to the racers name on the results board like in the picture above, I think it is the leader in the rising ski star (U23?) standings

I don’t think they wear a blue bib in the race like how the discipline leaders wear a red bib

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
When there is a blue bib next to the racers name on the results board like in the picture above, I think it is the leader in the rising ski star (U23?) standings

Yeah, I had colors wrong way around.

Red is current discipline leader, blue U23 leader.

1642452972820.png

1642452799893.png

1642453097643.png

James

Out There
Instructor
New vid by SkiDad. Both men and women. He discusses things with former (88-95) USST member Heidi Voelker. She gets into Olympic team selection.

Voelker intro’d at 4:30

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
There's a lot of folks' knickers in a twist over the selection process for Beijing, and Ski Racing published a story penned by Edie Thys Morgan about how unhappy the USST rank-and-file are over things. The men, especially, ended up getting many fewer slots than in years past.

The women's team can be almost fully stocked under the current selection rules and regulations - note that I said can and not will. Personally, I'm hoping for a USST Olympic squad that hews closer to what was sent in 1984: folks who had proven their mettle in international competition leading into the games, a small group that brought home a lot of hardware.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
1984 was a very tough year. I recall it well. A LOT of medals, and Tamara McKinney was just nudged off the GS podium.

But I also recall an awful lot of “roadkill” left in the wake of not filling that team. Rudi and I are always on the same page….but on this one, I’d bring every body possible. In many cases to give the young ones the experience, so they are ready to “Kill it” the next time around!

This is another view of the 1984 team, selections, etc.

This year, the US Men were on the short end of the stick. BTW, even the US coaches were confused about criteria and recently gave some athletes the wrong info. Very sad. Not pleased.

“Sophie the Surfer, CEO” has a lot to do.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
1984 was a very tough year. I recall it well. A LOT of medals, and Tamara McKinney was just nudged off the GS podium.

But I also recall an awful lot of “roadkill” left in the wake of not filling that team. Rudi and I are always on the same page….but on this one, I’d bring every body possible. In many cases to give the young ones the experience, so they are ready to “Kill it” the next time around!

I can totally see the logic in giving some of the younger athletes the experience: let them get over the "holy sh!t, it's the OLYMPICS!!!" jitters and emotionally steel them for the next cycle.

Like I said above: the women's team will likely be full. The automatic qualifiers are well known: Shiffrin, Johnson, Moltzan, O'Brien. But beyond that? The women's speed team is either recovering from injury or not producing on the World Cup level right now. And the tech team is thin beyond MS, PM, and NO. I get that the USST is giving some of the future stars (e.g. Zimmermann, Rountree-Williams) some time in the big leagues right now, but sending them to Beijing? I'm not so sure.

The men's team is even more of an issue. The only consistent performer has been Radamus. Bennett has his one win. RCS is still recovering from injury and adjusting to new ski setups. Ganong is hit-or-miss. And sad to say it, but Nyman has no business being on the World Cup right now, let alone the Olympics. And then after that? Crickets - nothing but crickets.

Sure, you could send a big roster to Beijing to get them the experience, but realistically how many of them will still be around in 2026? I'm not convinced the bench players will stick around that long unless they get top-notch support from the USST - i.e. not being forced to fundraise whenever they're not on snow, or to train outside the USST system because they didn't meet a mostly arbitrary age-vs-rank criterium.

So who do you pick? On the women's side, Hensien has shown hints of brilliance but seems to have hit a bit of a wall. Hurt is similarly capable of greatness but is super inconsistent. Cashman seems to be gaining some momentum, and she's still young - so perhaps send her with a discretionary pick. Wiles? Nope. Wright is injured, so...

And would I send Zimmermann or Rountree-Williams to Beijing? Probably not, were I the person picking. Maybe I'd tip the balance to Zimmermann, who has been in the pipeline since she was a second-year U14. But is it a worthwhile use of USST funds? Why not have these athletes get more miles under their legs in the Europa Cup and World Cup first? Let them compete at FIS Alpine Worlds next season to get the stepping stone to the rarefied championship event air.

Yes, 1984 was a confusing selection year but that team simply performed at Sarajevo. Yes, there were many great athletes left off the roster - as there will be this year. And what happened in 1985? Twardokens and Roffe slayed in the World Champs GS. Doug Lewis (who was on the 1984 Olympic squad, finishing 24th) got third on a far more technical Bormio World Champs course.

In 1988 the USST was at a bit of a nadir, to be honest. Was it because they held back a lot of athletes in 1984? Maybe. But it was also a tough time for the team, in general. There were seasoned veterans on the squad as well as some relative newcomers, but it just happened to be a time when the team was in heavy-duty transition.

How many from the 1988 roster then went to to excel in 1992? AJ Kitt was 26th in DH at Calgary, 9th in Albertville. Jeff Olson was 28th in SG at Calgary, 13th at Albertville. Neither was markedly better. The two bright spots for the USST at Albertville were Hilary Lindh (DNF in DH at Calgary, 2nd at Albertville) and Diann Roffe (12th in GS at Calgary, 2nd at Albertville). One had become more battle tested, the other was resurgent after a post-1985 letdown.

It's complicated, for sure. And the financial backers of the USST - and the fundraising team - are going to look extremely closely at the Olympics to decide how and where to spend in the future. Oy - no fun at all.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
@Rudi Riet, GREAT POST. Serious nerd ski history detail….and very good points about the current mess. I had not bothered to go through the entire potential roster, line by line….but I actually did with a pencil and pad of paper, probably as you were typing!

And….agree. In fact when I look at some of the ladies who are likely to be real up and comers, I KNOW first hand how many want to trade a USST uni to head to the NCAA. There is not a lot of joy on the USST these days.

Maybe we should talk about Project 26! And look at who might be on that squad.
I have read comments about how we may be “leaving potential medalists at home,” and THAT sounds like a real stretch! Who are they?

I’m not comparing this to 1984. 1984 was a total cluster. I have had many a conversation with those who went, and those who were very legit, and stayed home. Both groups hated it. And, it had a hangover.

I don’t think we’ll see that. Hey, the quotas stink, but the answer is sort of the same as it always is and always has been. Should have skied faster, finished better and been more consistent.

And agree, we have a few guys who really are hanging around. Good gig if you’re fully funded, have some overly “rich” equipment/sponsor deals, and in more than s couple of cases, come from a well tomdo family. Very different than the Euros from the big countries clawing each other to make their teams.

I’m fully prepared for a very lackluster Olympics in terms of the USA. Sad, but just being objective. Even Ms MS is going to need some luck this time around. And with the hype, anything but gold will not play well. Which stinks.

Oh well, never a dull moment.

James

Out There
Instructor
For the women, we’ve got Mikaela in every event she enters, and Breezy in DH as medal contenders. Don’t see Moltzan pulling a Mancuso, but it’s within the realm of possibility she’s third. Definitely not a given, or even realistic, that Mikaela medals in every event she’s in. If she got three bronze medals I’d call it very successful, but likely the press will see it as a failure.

For men, possibly Bennett and RCS in speed. More likely they’re top 10 at the best. Maybe the course will be some weird thing suited to Bennett. Maybe Ganong will be Weibrecht and score a bronze? He’s five years older, 33, than Weibrecht was in Sochi (silver)

Bode is I guess still the oldest alpine skier to win a medal, at 36.
Johan Clarey made the podium last year at Kitzbuhel at 40!

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
For men, possibly Bennett and RCS in speed. More likely they’re top 10 at the best. Maybe the course will be some weird thing suited to Bennett. Maybe Ganong will be Weibrecht and score a bronze? He’s five years older, 33, than Weibrecht was in Sochi (silver)
Sorry I'm going slightly off topic here discussing men, but I'm not the first one... I think Radamus has the potential to be a medal contender (for instance, he had a third-fastest second run this season in Val-d'Isere), but he has been struggling with consistency (i.e. having two good runs in one race). So while he might get a medal if he has manages to have two very good runs (and perhaps if some of the competitors make some mistakes), he is definitely not one of the main contenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online