• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

WOMEN’S World Cup 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
1984 was a very tough year. I recall it well. A LOT of medals, and Tamara McKinney was just nudged off the GS podium.

But I also recall an awful lot of “roadkill” left in the wake of not filling that team. Rudi and I are always on the same page….but on this one, I’d bring every body possible. In many cases to give the young ones the experience, so they are ready to “Kill it” the next time around!

This is another view of the 1984 team, selections, etc.

This year, the US Men were on the short end of the stick. BTW, even the US coaches were confused about criteria and recently gave some athletes the wrong info. Very sad. Not pleased.

“Sophie the Surfer, CEO” has a lot to do.
Lets hope it isn't handled like 1984, when the athletes who didn't make cut had to find out about it by walking into an empty hotel buffet in the morning, the teams leader having left them behind without bothering to tell them they wouldn't be going to Sarajevo.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
3215EABB-4A06-4D62-992C-29C96A3E2CCE.jpeg

Goggia
LGB
Brignone

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I hope Breezy Johnson will be ok for the Olympics. Also was happy to see that Isabella Wright is healthy enough to make the Olympic roster. Difficult not to pick Goggia to win tomorrow. Should be exciting to see who ends up on the podium.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Breezy J hurt in practice?
Goggia obviously. And when in Rome, I think she will not be the only Italienne on the podium. Fede’s been looking hot. Also curious on Ledezka today.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Fede and Bassino had the chance, doing very well in the turny section, but blew it with mistakes that threw them off mid course and they just didn’t have speed goong into the last part. Cost them 10-12 spots. Ledezka feels the smeel of the olympics and starts to grow horns.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor

SG…
B301A69F-1FF3-4CB0-90A7-90D08DE7612B.jpeg

LGB
SHIFFRIN
BRIGNONE

Last edited:

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Perfect day and the SG longer than yesterday’s DH, who became a sprint.

Last edited:

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Goggia, Lisa H and quite a few girls to the hospital after crashes. Many of them happened at the same place, a compression that threw the athletes. Still waiting for reports re damages but initially it doesn’t bode well…
Pain in knees, right one for Goggia and left for Lisa.

EDiT: 24 skiers DNF

Last edited:

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
Goggia, Lisa H and quite a few girls to the hospital after crashes. Many of them happened at the same place, a compression that threw the athletes. Still waiting for reports re damages but initially it doesn’t bode well…
Pain in knees, right one for Goggia and left for Lisa.

EDiT: 24 skiers DNF
Goggia is going to badly injure herself again one of these days. She's tough but has taken some BIG hits in the last few weeks. Today I thought for sure she'd need a stretcher/chopper ride down the hill.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
A few thoughts.

Goggia seems to have “regresssed” a bit from her maturing into skiing very smart, trusting her tech and setup, and really dialing in her line and tactics {ALL of which have made her the best DH skier in the world and right there in SG} to go back to her younger “just send it” mode. When she was nowhere as good, kind of chubby and always gassed in the last quarter of any speed race. Before training with RedBull.

It’s really not smart, and perhaps on the home soil at Cortina the emotional drive to just send it was too much. So she did. I have no idea how she’s doing.

Breezy Johnson has the same problem. People think it’s so”awesome” that she “just effing SENDS IT!” She sure as hell is not being coached to JSI. Truth is she is very hard to coach. Very headstrong. Not great at listening. Maybe a bit too confident. This mentality that I’m SENDING SO HARD that I’m going to win, or podium….or end up in the heli to the hospital seems pretty foolish.

Breezy J did not need to “win” the DH training runs in Cortina. Or crush anybody else’s time. They are training runs. I have spoken to a bunch of USST coaches and I get the response that she’s tough, as in headstrong, always has been, and family is too.

The send it to the hospital with blown ligaments or worse does NOT make sense to me.

Alice R. This was just something like her 12th WC SG. They are bringing along her speed program at a very nice, well thought out deliberate pace. Smart. She is doing DH training runs, to get more miles on the long skis and to get used to the hills. At venues where the SG and DH are on the same hill, smart move. Good experience. I don’t see any WC DH starts on the horizon, but….she is all of 20.
Pretty clear that her future is going to be in GS, SG and eventually DH. Last three WC SG’s? All top 10’s.

Last two EC DH’s? Both 2nd.
She is very much the real deal. And she is really developing her strength and fitness via RedBull. Not her time yet, no rush.

Today’s SG. That number of DNF’s is pretty eyeopening. Hope the injuries are minimal. Wow.

Let’s also hope that nobody sends themselves home and out of the Olympics by “Sending it” so hard in Garmisch. You need to pay real attention to things like flat light and the surface to make sure that you’re on your line and not just bounced out. These runs where Goggia is suddenly doing a split with skis veering wide are pretty terrifying, IMO.

Last edited:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
She just did... sprained left knee, with a partial cruciate ligament injury. Nothing more yet, but certainly doesn't look good this close before Beijing.

Yes. Also sounds like a “minor” fib fracture, and some tendon issues. Does not sound great. We’ll see, I guess. Fingers crossed for her to be close to 100%.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Yikes. Haven’t seen it. I was afraid Goggia was going to go after it too much being in Cortina.
Another tight grouping of times. You have to go to 16th, Shiffrin, to get a second.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Lots of strobe like shadows & light from the trees. I remember the rock chute always being dark but those dark stripes from the trees gotta be tough. The spot where Goggia crashed was weird & throwing many of the racers.
Great skiing from the top 10 & another podium in another event for Gisin Is pretty cool!
Robinson looked in good control & on her line, impressive considering her WC experience.
Shiffrin looked like she may push it during the first section but then seemed to downshift & cruise the rest of the way.

CD22466A-F079-4993-A11D-CEE935BD2F2B.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.