• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

WOMEN’S World Cup 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Goggia is going to badly injure herself again one of these days. She's tough but has taken some BIG hits in the last few weeks. Today I thought for sure she'd need a stretcher/chopper ride down the hill.

She just did... sprained left knee, with a partial cruciate ligament injury. Nothing more yet, but certainly doesn't look good this close before Beijing.

Yikes. Haven’t seen it. I was afraid Goggia was going to go after it too much being in Cortina.
Another tight grouping of times. You have to go to 16th, Shiffrin, to get a second.
I just got off the hill and was reading the news.
The video is gut wrenching to watch.

These are just two of the many positions that she was in that you don't want your body to be in while you're skiing, let alone skiing at that speed.

Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 5.44.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 5.44.50 PM.png

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

James

Out There
Instructor
That’s two major crashes in two weeks. Both involved compression . This one looked like she didn’t see what was coming as she was just going into her tuck.
Lindsey Vonn should give her a call and have a little chat. It’s getting serious.

Last edited:

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
A few thoughts.

Goggia seems to have “regresssed” a bit from her maturing into skiing very smart, trusting her tech and setup, and really dialing in her line and tactics {ALL of which have made her the best DH skier in the world and right there in SG} to go back to her younger “just send it” mode. When she was nowhere as good, kind of chubby and always gassed in the last quarter of any speed race. Before training with RedBull.

It’s really not smart, and perhaps on the home soil at Cortina the emotional drive to just send it was too much. So she did. I have no idea how she’s doing.

Breezy Johnson has the same problem. People think it’s so”awesome” that she “just effing SENDS IT!” She sure as hell is not being coached to JSI. Truth is she is very hard to coach. Very headstrong. Not great at listening. Maybe a bit too confident. This mentality that I’m SENDING SO HARD that I’m going to win, or podium….or end up in the heli to the hospital seems pretty foolish.

Breezy J did not need to “win” the DH training runs in Cortina. Or crush anybody else’s time. They are training runs. I have spoken to a bunch of USST coaches and I get the response that she’s tough, as in headstrong, always has been, and family is too.

The send it to the hospital with blown ligaments or worse does NOT make sense to me.

Alice R. This was just something like her 12th WC SG. They are bringing along her speed program at a very nice, well thought out deliberate pace. Smart. She is doing DH training runs, to get more miles on the long skis and to get used to the hills. At venues where the SG and DH are on the same hill, smart move. Good experience. I don’t see any WC DH starts on the horizon, but….she is all of 20.
Pretty clear that her future is going to be in GS, SG and eventually DH. Last three WC SG’s? All top 10’s.

Last two EC DH’s? Both 2nd.
She is very much the real deal. And she is really developing her strength and fitness via RedBull. Not her time yet, no rush.

Today’s SG. That number of DNF’s is pretty eyeopening. Hope the injuries are minimal. Wow.

Let’s also hope that nobody sends themselves home and out of the Olympics by “Sending it” so hard in Garmisch. You need to pay real attention to things like flat light and the surface to make sure that you’re on your line and not just bounced out. These runs where Goggia is suddenly doing a split with skis veering wide are pretty terrifying, IMO.
Muleski. Who is Alice R. ? Thanks for all the great info.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
LGB nor WH are not competing at Kronplatz. Resting up and training respectively.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hector
Shiffrin
Bassino

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Superday in Kronplatz. This hill is pretty long, starts flat with some terrain then gradually steeper. Can be challenging. Light tricky (perhaps will be even more in 2:nd) with light and shadow.

Last edited:

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Man, Shiffy's odds getting to 87 just seems to be fading. I'll get over it, but it will take me a while.

I can't help but think there's something going on within the Shiffrin camp. I think Lackie's dismissal is being completely misrepresented, especially given its timing.

Sure, it could be long COVID - that's entirely a possibility, and could explain why MS isn't completely on form. It almost certainly does not explain why Lackie would be reassigned. But for a racer like Shiffrin the mental game is a huge part of things, and one's support staff contributes to this. Dismissing a key coach midway through the season seems to me a bit strange and... well, if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...

Just my $0.02...

Great race from Hector today. She's the class in women's GS right now.

Last edited:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I’m put together some Team Shiffrin “thoughts” later on. Not good.

Meanwhile, Breezy Johnson is OUT of the Olympics. Done.

“Just effing Send It”…..in a training run. Yep Send it….home.

It’s a shame, and could/should have been managed differently.

I am guessing that Goggia will not be close to 100%, and that the chances of her racing are 50/50.

Who who become the DH favorites?

Odd season.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Meanwhile, Breezy Johnson is OUT of the Olympics. Done.

“Just effing Send It”…..in a training run. Yep Send it….home.

It’s a shame, and could/should have been managed differently.

I am guessing that Goggia will not be close to 100%, and that the chances of her racing are 50/50.

Who who become the DH favorites?

Yeah, Breezy needs to get a grip on being an adult racer. Going "full send" on training runs is a fool's errand. What is there to prove in training runs? Oy. Now she sits out the rest of the season.

Goggia is in the same boat. Per her Instagram post yesterday I'm guessing she's reading the tea leaves and they're saying "you're not doing anything in China." Her injuries have added up and even with a decent chunk of time between now and the DH race at the Olympics I can't see it happening.

DH faves now? Plenty are ready to ascend. The fact that the course is unknown makes it more of a crapshoot in terms of prediction. So... Siebenhofer? Suter? LGB? Ledecka? Brignone? Hard to say who will be the one with the gift.

James

Out There
Instructor
DH faves now? Plenty are ready to ascend. The fact that the course is unknown makes it more of a crapshoot in terms of prediction. So... Siebenhofer? Suter? LGB? Ledecka? Brignone? Hard to say who will be the one with the gift.
Ledecka is definitely moving up in chances for a podium at least. She seems at least to be able to manage herself. I still wish she’d been 1 hundredth slower in PyeongChang to tie for gold.

Just a shame with Goggia and Johnson especially.
Results. I didn’t see the race. Is Shiffrin just cruising to peak at the Olympics, or is this the current level?

861FCDDC-07EC-4A7F-A59A-3444A3EAA413.jpeg

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sara owned it today. Did a time consuming mistake in 2nd but then then a very good finish. Shiffrin okeyish, but women’s GS is a hornets nest atm with 5-6 potential winners depending on hill, set and day. So she need to be top to win. Robinson getting more and more solid. Will be leathal in China.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
NO Apologies!!! At all! Hard to keep all of them at the tip of your tongue!!!
FYI, Newfy just advised me of you and he's connection (with pic). Doug took me and my all time ski bud (Ted killed in a chute at Squaw) around Fernie when he patrolled there, great of him and had dinner with he and wife. Great people, great skier. Few yrs back in the Epic days. I really appreciate your racing input. My interest is primarily because I used to race, just police and fire races mainly Tahoe, Mammoth, Mt Bachelor and in Australia at Perisher. Wife and I ran the International Firefighter Games at Tahoe, 5 day event.l I was obviously a real amateur racers but WC inteerest always there. Thanks for all the input. My Best Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor