• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Women’s World Cup 2021

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Kranjska Gora a challenging hill, very steep in a few places, but also have a flat section.
I hear there’s a superhard surface (ice), so it’s going to be a real fight for the women today. A couple of young Swedish girls in the back of the field, looking closer on ”local” Sara Rask who took her first WC points in the SL last weekend—is better in GS (EC winner last year) and I have high hopes for points.
I think today is the day when Robinson nails it.

Last edited:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
The hill is a real brute, a serious change for the women. It has everything. Heck, it’s a challenging hill for the guys!
Some very impressive skiing. Great day for Bassino. What a second run by Tessa W. Gisin is just remarkably fast and consistent this season. And Vhlova keeps piling up points. I would assume that she must be just physically and emotionally spent, having started {I believe} everything this season.

That’s one way to win the overall. After her record year, when she raced every start in every event, Tina Maze said “never again,” and later said she was never the same. Nor was her skiing. I hope that the seasons works out well for Vhlova. She’s still young. Just 25.

Had hoped that Nina O’B could really capitalize on her first run, which was a great one.

I’ll comment more with some thoughts on some of the skiing after tomorrow’s race.

Strange year, but a lot of good skiing to watch! Glad we actually do have a WC season to follow.

sullywhacker

Booting up
Skier
I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but I enjoy watching the women's tech races much more than the men's.
Total agreement. Seems that by watching Shiffrin so closely over the past several years we have gotten to know the personalities of the top dozen women whereas the men remain somewhat one-dimensional.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Ice is nice, at least if you’re on Rossi it seems. I don’t usually pay too much attention to equipment but Rossignol seems to be killing it this year!

2nd run course set by US coach Mike Day was a little tighter & really favored clean skiing. While Vlhova, Shiffrin & others really got bucked by a hole/rut coming onto the final pitch Worley & Gut-Berhrami both seemed to avoid its effect with their accurate skiing. Both courses rewarded the skiers who were able to establish some clean turns early on & stay with it otherwise it was a chatter fest & struggle the whole way down.

Pleasantly surprised to see Gisin with such a strong first run & then able to hang in there on the second to get a podium. I think it will be a battle between her & Vlhova till the end for the overall.

Worley absolutely slayed run 2 showing that she still has the form of her peak years when it all comes together.

l don’t know if it is equipment setup, tactical/line choice, physical/mental game or a combination of all three but Shiffrin seems to be skidding, chattering & skiing a little more guarded than in the past. She was wiping her goggles in the finish of run 2, indicating possible vision issues. She really got thrown worse than most on that nasty rut which probably didn’t cost her the win but perhaps a podium.

Brignone again on her side for a moment & still managing 5th.

Robinson was all over the place but still had moments of blazing speed!

Too bad O’Brien couldn’t capitalize on her great first run but looked like she had trouble finding the front of her ski & never really established her rhythm & line.

All hail Marta Bassino with GS win #3! :hail:

Women‘s GS is ruling this season :golfclap:

FFDED13A-D59C-48D3-A6B3-AE48AB32964A.jpeg

Last edited:
TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Sunday’s start list...
18198AF9-80F6-47DC-8501-B68FFCC99526.jpeg

Bassino
Shiffrin
Worley

Vlhova
Gut-Berhrami

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And Vhlova keeps piling up points. I would assume that she must be just physically and emotionally spent, having started {I believe} everything this season.
Isn't Gisin starting everything as well? She does better than Vlhova in speed events and has greatly improved in tech so now she's creeping up in the overall. This is a great season!

Muleski

Inactive
Isn't Gisin starting everything as well? She does better than Vlhova in speed events and has greatly improved in tech so now she's creeping up in the overall. This is a great season!

I had not thought of that, but she is skiing most everything as well. Haven't dug into their actual speed results, and points. Kind of curious about that.

Either way, trying to ski the whole schedule is a grind. An incredible one, and I would imagine at this time dealing with the various COVID restrictions, even more so.

These two seem to recover pretty well.

Muleski

Inactive
In
Gisin was 9th & Vlhova was 19th at St. Anton SG. 32 & 12 WC points respectively.

Pretty close in SG, Gisin was actually 8th at St. Anton. At Val D’Isere, in the SG, Vhlova was 6th, and Gisin, 9th. 40 and 29 points.

Could be a very interesting "race" right through WCF's if the both stay healthy. Which we hope they will. I think Gisin would be an upset, but I hope she makes it close!

Vhlova currently has a 115 point lead, after today. Schedule, before WCF's has 4 DH, 4 SG, 3 GS, 3 SL.....I think. Men have a few less, again, I think. Have not dug into it. Will.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
I had not thought of that, but she is skiing most everything as well. Haven't dug into their actual speed results, and points. Kind of curious about that.

Either way, trying to ski the whole schedule is a grind. An incredible one, and I would imagine at this time dealing with the various COVID restrictions, even more so.

These two seem to recover pretty well.
Gisin skipped the parallel that Vlhova won, but has skied everything else. Take away those 100 points and we have a real battle for the overall; Vlhova currently leads by 114 (749-635).

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Some amazing skiing from these women today, so fun to watch the show! Exceptional performances by too many to mention but pretty cool to see Hrovat get the podium on her home snow :ogcool:

1A72C39C-E1B8-49E0-84B5-8C661091C9DA.jpeg

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
So, is there any mathematical hope for MS on any globes?
Or has ship sailed in overall, SL, and GS?
mathematical, yes.
realistic, not really.

SL - 65 points down (3rd place), 4 races to go (Jasna, Are x 2, Lenzerheide). Unlikely, unless she ups her game in SL and Vlhova and to some extent Liensberger have a bad race.
GS - 170 points down (5th place), 3 races to go (Kronplatz, Jasna, Lenzerheide). Not happening.

Overall - 210 points down (4th place). Not happening, unless she races speed and gets some help from those above her in the standings.

No guarantees she races even all the tech races.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Comments about the 2nd run being a straighter set and that MS didn't ski it direct enough at the gates. Her skiing can be so smooth at times that it belies her actual aggression in a run. So what killed her 2nd run today? Was it the line alone?

Sponsor

Staff online