• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Women’s World Cup 2021

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
She is fearless, strong as hell, is great on her skis, and she just "sends it."
That "just sends it" is why i have sometimes been picking her to win... I'm thinking one of these times it all comes together (plus a little homerism, admittedly :ogcool:) ... but the DNFs definitely are disappointing.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I think Breezy still has a lot to learn. And will. But it points to what “coaching” entails at this level, and how every one of these athletes is SO different in terms of literally everything. Where they come from, family dynamics, how they skied as little kids and young juniors, and on and on.

Breezy can REALLY ride a flat ski, and is very comfortable with air, and terrain. Now the fearless piece might be great at times, but also needs to be tempered. The body can only absorb so many crashes and so much surgery....correct, LV.

I hear that like LV, Breezy can be pretty headstrong. Like LV, she sure as hell does not “like” to take extra time to come back from injury or surgery....and has pushed people to let her come back quickly. That may prove to not be wise. I have heard her upbringing as being a bit on the arrogant, “we know more than you because we are smarter than you....” side. Child of 2 PhD’s who was home schooled. Can just produce different dynamics. Remember, LV was sort of home/online schooled for her last two years of HS, while her profession was already fully ski racing. She even jokes that there was not much school going on. Breezy’s was evidently very different. We’re teaching you, because we can.

She sure does not look textbook. She is no Lara G-B. She can LOOK like a trainwreck, but what she is going on the snow just generates speed.

And it sounds like she is listening and is coachable. She wants to be the very best. She’s going to be expected to lead this soon to be very young speed team. But yeah, sending it is just part of her DNA. That part is fun!

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
I saw something once saying if a car crossed the start line at 100mph and a top fuel dragster or funny car started as that car passed the line the 100mph car would still lose the race by some insane amount of distance over the 1/4 mile. 300+ gets you there quickly!

Yes, that would be true.

1/4 mile is 1320 feet. 100mph is 146.67 feet per seond. So that's 9.00 seconds to do the distance.

Top fuel dragster does 1/4 mile in just under 4.5 seconds.

So theoretically the car could be doing 200mph when it crosses the start line and still get beaten.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Great to see Gut-Berhrami back on top & enjoying it. Been a fan since she began winning at 17. I was in doubt that we would ever get to see her ski like this again. Truly one of the greats, I will be rooting for her to win the overall :ogcool:.
Happy Birthday Marta!!!

Tomorrow...
D6C8CF2D-2780-47AB-A690-0D694E475934.jpeg

Gut-Berhrami
Gisin
Brignone

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Great to see Gut-Berhrami back on top & enjoying it. Been a fan since she began winning at 17. I was in doubt that we would ever get to see her ski like this again. Truly one of the greats, I will be rooting for her to win the overall :ogcool:.
Happy Birthday Marta!!!

Tomorrow...
View attachment 126057
Gut-Berhrami
Gisin
Brignone

Is Breezy good to go after her tangle with the B-netting?

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder if there’s too much expectation for Vlhova to score big points in the upcoming slaloms. She is facing stiff competition from Shiffrin, Liensberger, possibly Gisin and Holdener on a good day + she’s running on fumes. Wins are not guaranteed.

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If Vlhova matches her last 4 sl placings, which (including world championships) are 2,4,1,4, that would give her 280 “free” points over LG-B, which includes sl at World Cup Finals.

Gut-Behrami is ahead right now by 107, could be as high as 181 (I expect LG-B to win Sunday and Vlhova no worse than 10th).

If this is right (a lot can happen, also it could easily be wrong) then in the remaining 1 SG (Sunday already accounted before) 1DH, 2 GS Gut-Behrami would have to outscore Vlhova by just over 100 points in those races. World Cup finals are shaping up to be very interesting.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I feel sorry for the athletes having to endure this long course hold due to the injury of Lie. Not a pretty crash and not fun to hear that kind of noise so early in the morning (east coast U.S. time).

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Kajsa V.L. in horrible crash... ouch, ouch, ouch. Looked really bad (knee/leg). Heli-evac right now.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is not good... :nono:

P.S. Cant they just stop this massacre? This is painful to watch, damn...

Last edited:

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Schneeberger too. Leg looked seriously messed up. As horrible as it is, it happens and the athletes are well aware. Great course and prep, vis, so nothing there. Unlucky with two such bad crashes in one race. Luckily it didn’t look like head injuries or backs... ”only” knee/leg. But have no info, just what I saw and what I think it looked like. Brrr. Word of caution to sensitive viewers—a bit disturbing to watch.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Val di Fassa SG: Brignone wins, Gut-Behrami 2nd, Suter 3rd; Breezy Johnson tied with Alice Robinson for 10th and Vlhova down in 32nd.

Brignone skied that PERFECTLY, IMO. Better line than anybody, by far. Skied much less "real estate" and set herself up for the fall line. Great turns. FAST. Not LGB's best, but she is so damn fast that she can get away with a some less than great turns {a serious rarity for her} and still be right there. That's a BIG margin for Brignone. Suter is really consistent. Always.

Breezy J needs to refine her SG skiing. In fact, though I love her willingness to just "send it" at all costs, I think that this year may be a turning point, and this offseason and fall may be as well, when she listens a bit more and improves her game. All the talent in the world. There was good reason that she was tenth today. She probably did not execute on what was planned after inspection, and she probably would benefit from being a touch more patient. Note that Brignone, and Gut don't look all amped up and look a lot cleaner to the eye. When LGB is at her best, in SG, you can't imagine Breezy being within a second of her. But I think that Breezy is really knocking on the door.

This has been a year of learning and a lot of frustration {which I hear she has managed very well} for Alice Robinson. This is really her first year of SG on the WC. She is two years younger than anybody else on that starting list. Alice can send it, too. She is as strong as a bull, is smart, and listens. Her coaches are LV's former team. It's been a hard year for an athlete from NZ to be dealing with all of what COVID has thrown at the tour. Young, team of one, etc. She is going to be a force, once they refine a few things. I believe that her contract with MVD is up this season, and I would not be surprised to see a change. Not sure about the entire setup. The boots have seemed to either be great {once she was in the Lange clone}, or not so much. It's very unusual to have a contract run out BEFORE an Olympic year. I think I have this right. Could be a change on the way with her setup, and perhaps more. I firmly believe that she is going to be a dominant GS and SG skier, before long.

Not a good day for PV. It's not a huge deal, but going away with zero points in a SG is not what she had hoped for. Just adds to the pressure to make it happen in her best events. LGB leaves the weekend with a 187 point lead in the overall. IMO, MORE than she had hoped for, better than best case expectations.

So, on to Jasna and the GS and SL, then to Are for the 2 SL's...and two days later to Lenzerheide, Switzerland and the WCF's.

This should be a very, very exciting WCF's for the first time in years. Good to see.

Sending best wishes to Kasja, that was very tough to watch. Awful. And sending the same to Ms. Schneeberger. Ouch. Yes, they know it's part of the sport. Still tough to watch.

On the plus side, the hill, and the weather looked perfect. Such a spectacular part of the world. even before we discuss the food!

Best....

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Based on some press releases both, Lie and Schneeberger have tibia fibula fracture. Lie also has swollen knee, which is still under investigation so there can be more. For Lie it was clear from life footage during crash, for Schneeberger I actually thought her leg broke above knee. But both looked real bad.
Im sure it might be interesting to watch for someone, but I really think we don't need 100s of super slomos of such crashes when race is interrupted. Some sports figured this out already, FIS obviously didn't yet.

Sponsor

Staff online