• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Women’s World Cup 2021

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't want to say that there was a case of "home town refs" going on, but what was the deal with icing Shiffrin at the start of her second run? Vlhova finishes her run in first and then they pause the race? Shiffrin looked pretty pissed when the race was over.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Broken gates that needed to be replaced. Not sure if they needed to run to nearby store to get new gates or what, as normally gate change can be done in less then minute, but here they needed something like 8 minutes or so, from what I heard.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I don't want to say that there was a case of "home town refs" going on, but what was the deal with icing Shiffrin at the start of her second run? Vlhova finishes her run in first and then they pause the race? Shiffrin looked pretty pissed when the race was over.

I was wondering the same thing. It's not like that gate had been broken by the previous racer. Certainly felt a bit suspicious.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Based on video i saw on ORF, inside pole was broken to half. But like I said, that's less then minute work to have it changed. They do this 30 times a race in SL, and way less in GS, but it's still not something that never happens, so poles are ready, gate panels are ready, and it's normally done without race interruption and certainly not with 8min race interruption.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
It’s inexcusable, IMO, Dirty pool. Really bad. Bullshit. Am I clear enough? The TD and FIS should have moved that along.

I've been in charge of gate runners, and gate replacement on WC events. In WC speed events, and Primoz is right. A decent crew should be able to handle this in seconds.....It's NOT that hard. This was a case of "icing" MS.

If her coach, Mike Day, were a hot head {he absolutely is NOT}, we’d have seen an explosion. MS has every right to be pissed. She was 11th in that second run. BS. This season is so unusual for her that in the grand scheme of things it does not matter.

I HOPE SO MUCH that this can work out for LGB. Probably not, she needed to be on the podium, today, I feel, with PV does the list. I was going to say that PV did what she had too......more like those running the event did what they needed to, to PV's advantage. She is up by 26 points. WE'll see what happens this week in Are, with 2 SL's. I'm guessing a 150 point lead or close for PV entering WCF's. That may well be too much for LGB to deal with.

Bullshit. If this were the guys....things would have been a bit different at the finish, today, I believe.

I've never been a big PV fan {Something about her just rubs me the wrong way. Same with Maze}, and I think her coach is a complete.......well, I can't print it.

If PV's season ended in the first run at Are, it would be very unfortunate. Would I be sad? Dunno, honestly. Maybe the Swedes can ice her for 10-15 minutes.....She's a lot more emotional fragile than MS. She sure as hell would not be picking up 200 points. Maybe the weather will suck and we'll have a cancellation?

Yeah.....this pisses me off. It's not right. And it only adds to some bad blood among a variety of national federations, too. And the sport does NOT need that, at all.

Done on this one.

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just watched the race with the Porino commentary and the delay was 2 minutes, not 8 minutes (confirmed in news reports). It still feels long to fix a gate it's really not like Shiffrin spent 8 minutes in the starting block.

Muleski

Inactive
So how long WAS the delay? I agree there is a big difference between two and eight minutes. Two is "NOT GOOD AT ALL." Eight is complete inexcusable BS.

If it was two, I'll retract my rant above. To some degree!

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I went xc skiing and when I came home I was watching men 50k race from Oberstdorf, so I just saw what Shiffrin said in interview for ORF, so I didn't watch alpine race live to know for sure, but in that interview Shiffrin said delay was 8min. That's why I wrote 8min, as I thought that was real info. If it's really 2min,then I don't see big deal with this. It's sure still too long, but nothing that racer couldn't handle. So if it's really just 2min,then Shiffrin should find different excuse.

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It was on 2 minutes on the NBC broadcast (though I was watching the one with the commentary, not the feed, so it could be edited), but SkiRacing does say it was 2 minutes.

Muleski

Inactive
Rant retracted.
Two minutes, still some “gamesmanship”, particularly in that situation. Before the second run of the first run leader, last GS of the regular season, every WC point counting for PV. Her “home country.”

Not worth making a big deal of it for anybody. Seriously. Still, some of us have called for a gate on the radio, have it arrive, then drill and wrench it in, in about 30 seconds......and not while on TV in a WC.

One more thing......

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I just went to watch tgat run. It was less then 2min to get new pole and change it, then there was FIS who set "next racer starts in 60sec", so all together it was 3min 20sec between Vlhova crossing finish line and Shiffrin starting. Nothing strange or unusual, as when racer crashes out, delay is bigger. If Shiffrin was "frozen" at start, it's completely and only her own fault. She was just standing there waiting... no jumping no moving no trying to stay warmed up no nothing. So there's noone else to blame but herself. And there's certainly nothing to cry about being unfair.

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s just weird, she seems pretty gracious usually. Maybe seeing Vlhova dramatically fall on her back upon realizing she’d won ticked her off :)

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
It’s inexcusable, IMO, Dirty pool. Really bad. Bullshit. Am I clear enough? The TD and FIS should have moved that along.

I've been in charge of gate runners, and gate replacement on WC events. In WC speed events, and Primoz is right. A decent crew should be able to handle this in seconds.....It's NOT that hard. This was a case of "icing" MS.

If her coach, Mike Day, were a hot head {he absolutely is NOT}, we’d have seen an explosion. MS has every right to be pissed. She was 11th in that second run. BS. This season is so unusual for her that in the grand scheme of things it does not matter.

I HOPE SO MUCH that this can work out for LGB. Probably not, she needed to be on the podium, today, I feel, with PV does the list. I was going to say that PV did what she had too......more like those running the event did what they needed to, to PV's advantage. She is up by 26 points. WE'll see what happens this week in Are, with 2 SL's. I'm guessing a 150 point lead or close for PV entering WCF's. That may well be too much for LGB to deal with.

Bullshit. If this were the guys....things would have been a bit different at the finish, today, I believe.

I've never been a big PV fan {Something about her just rubs me the wrong way. Same with Maze}, and I think her coach is a complete.......well, I can't print it.

If PV's season ended in the first run at Are, it would be very unfortunate. Would I be sad? Dunno, honestly. Maybe the Swedes can ice her for 10-15 minutes.....She's a lot more emotional fragile than MS. She sure as hell would not be picking up 200 points. Maybe the weather will suck and we'll have a cancellation?

Yeah.....this pisses me off. It's not right. And it only adds to some bad blood among a variety of national federations, too. And the sport does NOT need that, at all.

Done on this one.
I thought the same thing in real time.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
I thought the same thing in real time.

Puzzled by this declaration of apparent home favoritism..

The skier in front of PV (Maryna Gasienica-Daniel) crashed with about two seconds to go in her run and PV was held at the her start.

The time between MG-D start and PV start was 3:57 seconds.

PV hit and broke a gate just before the end of her run - pretty sure it was the same one that was hit by MG-D. The race is interrupted for 2:42. What are they going to do - run with a broken gate?

The time between PV start and MS start is 4:26 seconds.

So both skiers were held on ice with less than 30 seconds difference. Where's the big home nepotism?

The really good news (now being regionally parochial) is that Alice Robertson had a 1st podium for the season.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Dang it Nina O’Brien! :doh: :nono:
Shiffrin made a pretty big power leaking error a little ways in & never really got back in rhythm. I think she was probably more pissed at herself than Vlhova or the course crew.

I am assuming Marta clinched the GS title today & well deserved, so big congrats to her :golfclap:

Last edited:

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Puzzled by this declaration of apparent home favoritism..

The skier in front of PV (Maryna Gasienica-Daniel) crashed with about two seconds to go in her run and PV was held at the her start.

PV hit and broke a gate just before the end of her run - pretty sure it was the same one that was hit by MG-D. The race is interrupted for 2:42. What are they going to do - run with a broken gate?

The time between PV start and MS start is 4:26 seconds.

So both skiers were held on ice with less than 30 seconds difference. Where's the big home nepotism?

The really good news (now being regionally parochial) is that Alice Robertson had a 1st podium for the season.
I didn't say it was true. I just said it popped into my head almost immediately.
I guess I have watched too many NFL football games. :huh:

James

Out There
Instructor
Assume you mean MG-D finish.
I timed 2:45 from when she crashes into the padding to PV start.
From PV finish to gate replacement- looks like the guy places the panel and skis away after 2:10. Mikaela’s final beeps starts at 3:25
That’s on Peacock which is Eurovision feed, no commentary.

Sponsor

Staff online