• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Women’s World Cup 2021

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Well done Alice Robinson.

Hey @Turoa Kiwi - sorry m8, it's started.... :rolleyes:

1616367512041.png

Aquila

Getting on the lift
Skier
Well done Alice Robinson.

Hey @Turoa Kiwi - sorry m8, it's started.... :rolleyes:

View attachment 128870
Oh no! They're not wrong, she was born in Aus and her family moved to Queenstown/NZ when she was 3 or 4. Way to try to steal a NZ skier, though!

Very exciting to see her finally come out on top again though, it's been a rough season for her but she's done fantastically to persevere through it. She's a hell of a competitor. I'm a huge fan but I was worried that she might just be on tilt from all her DNFs. Very cool to see her clawing it back for the finals and nailing that winning form. Hope she has a good off season, I heard there were issues last year with her usual coaches unable to enter the country. I wonder what she will do this year?

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Some-one has created a points per race table for both ladies and guys.... Two most valuable racers: Shiffrin and Odematt.

Table of points per WC race

Image in case that link doesn't work outside FB.

View attachment 128867
Small consolation.
We had some great competition in the women's WC. I watched every race and enjoyed it thoroughly. But I can't help but think of how much better it might have been, if MS had been all in.
It just never felt like it.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Robinson’s power is unparalleled for now :geek:! I think the course got tougher for the few that followed her in run 2. She left a choppy wake for the other 3 to negotiate. If I said Liensberger is light on her edges, I guess Alice is another thing ogwink .

No matter what the racers thought of the season I am glad it happened. So many exceptional performances by so many of the women especially in the tech events. Leaves me really looking forward to next season!

Last edited:

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Wow, the kids are alright.

E1DC1F27-C756-4E40-B463-70424EA47291.jpeg

Ligetyesque Robinson.
Great to see Meta Hrovat finally get on the podium.
Robinson beat Shiffrin by over a second on that second run.

Those first handful of gates which they had to stivot, Robinson just attaked, threw herself at each turn. MS made just as intense turns with much less energy expended, she lost time later in the run, but those top turns were really interesting to see the difference between the skiers, some stivots just didn't have as much redirection as MS and Alice's did.
It’s interesting, I looked at the splits. Hrovat was fastest to the 1st interval. Mikaela lost over a half second in the first interval, (around 12.5 secs in for Hrovat). Mikaela was only 14th fastest for that first interval! Incredible. By the second interval, (around 29.5sec for Robinson), Mikaela was toast, almost a second slower than Robinson.

Second Run Time-
C555EF5F-C3E7-4E2C-86B9-9860D9D6BD2C.jpeg

Second Run -1st interval
909983DB-F214-4E47-A85A-A5836C525047.jpeg

Second Run 2nd Interval-
B4B41C6A-3D8D-4029-B858-7E265784A0FA.jpeg

Race Results-

AC77EE21-1DA7-4719-A63E-26D165D0E870.jpeg

Last edited:

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
is it common to spell skiing with that many i's down there?

That appears in the UK edition of that newspaper. The USA edition has the normal number of "i"s.

The Australian edition doesn't feature the article at all. If it's not football or cricket it usually doesn't get a mention.... :rolleyes:

Oh no! They're not wrong, she was born in Aus and her family moved to Queenstown/NZ when she was 3 or 4. Way to try to steal a NZ skier, though!

Not to worry - we try to steal anything prominent from New Zealand. As my NZ born and raised wife is quick to point out. :duck:

Robinson’s power is unparalleled for now :geek:!

Says in a vid clip somewhere that she can squat 350lbs. Awesome athlete.

James

Out There
Instructor
Bassino said in the post interview, English, that Lenzerheide was special because she started her World Cup there in 2014, and it was the last race for Italian Denise Karbon who retired. Karbon won the gs title in 2008.

James

Out There
Instructor
Huh. On Peacock Premium on Xfinity's Flex streaming box there isn't a spoiler, just a generic title slide for the race and run.
It’s in the News section which is usually before Skiing. Sometimes the titles are on a darker background so it’s hard to not see.
4E9D29FC-4BE1-4234-8C0B-1D14798863E4.jpeg

Forgot to mention Valerie Grenier, CAN, who was cooking with gas on that second run. She blew out pretty low down. 2nd interval, +.03 to Robinson, 3rd interval +.54.

Last edited:

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Now that the race season is over (I went powder skiing today-good 6 inches) would like to once again thank everyone here for their informative and insightful posts. After watching races on Peacock I come here to get some insight. Having skied for over 50 yrs and raced for about 23 ski racing is part of me and I really appreciate everyone on this site and their input. You are appreciated very much. My Best to you all - have a great summer. Pete

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I just cancelled my Peacock Premium. Not a bad deal at $25 for the season. If I had more time there looked like lots of other interesting sports coverage I never got around to watching. I wonder if it will carry over to next season. A few tweaks needed perhaps but really nice to have something that allows us to see as many or few racers as we choose.
I tried many genres of background music & found SiriusXM Symphony Hall to blend best:cool:
78EE2D44-099C-4D6C-AEC1-72317E1F450D.jpeg
Always sad to see the season end cuz I know it is the beginning of the end for winter skiing :( but Spring is just beginning :)

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I just cancelled my Peacock Premium. Not a bad deal at $25 for the season. If I had more time there looked like lots of other interesting sports coverage I never got around to watching. I wonder if it will carry over to next season. A few tweaks needed perhaps but really nice to have something that allows us to see how many or few racers we choose.
I tried many genres of background music & found SiriusXM Symphony Hall to blend best:cool:
View attachment 128998
Always sad to see the season end cuz I know it is the beginning of the end for winter skiing :( but Spring is just beginning :)

I still hate the Peacock user interface, but getting the straight feed without announcers was a nice change. I enjoyed seeing more of the pre-race prep, PoV of the courses, and the "secret" slow-mo replays of the racers' runs.

James

Out There
Instructor
I don’t follow Nordic, but this is unusual and impressive. Jesse Diggins becomes the first American woman to win overall worldcup title. She also won the distance title.

Of course you hear nothing about it, and it’s actually hard to find a decent video. We’ll have a dozen on Mikaela at home playing with her stuffed animals.
Jesse Diggins becomes the first American woman to win overall worldcup.

This is sort of general on the year-

Last edited:

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Many of Diggins' races are on Peacock Premium in the snow archives. Peacock showed all the available FIS snowsports content, tho this board (somewhat naturally) focused on the alpine stuff.

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
NY Times article about Shiffrin gunning for the Olympics (well, duh!).

"One of the things that bugged me was so many people saying, ‘Oh, she’s lost it.' You know, I’m still here, I’m still doing it.”

James

Out There
Instructor
We hope she hasn’t lost it. She definitely didn’t have what she used to this season.

Sponsor

Staff online