• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Women’s World Cup 2021

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
We’ll see. Odd season. Training volumes all over the map, from Vhlova with a great deal of glacier and winter snow training...to MS with very little. This is also, aside from that and COVID, the weakest women’s field....in some opinions, ever.

If I had to guess....,Vhlova. Really, my only hope is that MS feels well about everything at the end of the day. No need to win. No need to podium. Just needs to be excited to be back in the game.

Fingers crossed...

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
This is also, aside from that and COVID, the weakest women’s field....in some opinions, ever.
Yeah, I looked at the start list & kinda went "ugh, not too exciting". Too bad
Swenn-Larsson has to sit it out.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Resi Stiegler starting #46
B972F929-E8A9-4C48-9BAD-220D0DDC2685.jpeg

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know Swenn Larson is out, and nothing against Chiara Mair, but before seeing the start list I would have lost potentially a lot of money to anyone who wanted to bet me that she was in the first seed, although at the same time being guilty of not knowing who else I might have guessed. Looking forward to seeing Shiffrin starting first. Based on posts in this and other threads, it should be very interesting to see what happens.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Swedes (8 athletes) in quarantine til Wednesday evening. Thursday comp’s will probably be logistically impossible. It is local rules, not ”FIS”. Can be different depending on national rules. One ”interesting” situation that can occur after what I understand (I have not had any reason to dig into this before): FIS say that minimum 7 of 10 top nations has to be represented otherwise they can cancel the race. So if say one tech on Norway, a coach on Sweden and a physio to one Astrian skier test positive — the whole race can be cancelled. This season ...

Last edited:
TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Close race!
After nailing the top flats I thought Vlhova may give it away on the pitch. I thought Shiffrin skied within herself & hasn’t lost much considering what she’s been through. It does look like Vlhova has stepped it up a notch. Hopefully Shiffrin can get some good training and we will see how things play out on a tougher hill.

DD1C1A6A-CED3-45CD-A6CA-3C2DA3C3595B.jpeg

Solid comeback race for Meillard & not so good for Schild. Brignone was skiing well till she wasn’t. Moltzan was okay till she ran into trouble. l thought the other US skiers were meh but there is potential to break into the 30. Not bad for Resi at age 35ish.

Bassino
Liensberger
Good call on both, I actually don’t remember ever seeing Bassino race SL, she kind of flubbed the 2nd run but otherwise would’ve been right in there.

and nothing against Chiara Mair,
I seem to recall her making a charge from a high bib last season. Anyway she may be one to watch, some nice skiing today.

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I knew Mair had a couple of top 10 results last year and is a promising young athlete. Not having looked at the final standings from last year, I was not aware she was so highly ranked in the start list. As such, it was a dumb thing to post. Looking forward to tomorrow’s race.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Good call on both, I actually don’t remember ever seeing Bassino race SL, she kind of flubbed the 2nd run but otherwise would’ve been right in there.
The Bassino pick was purely based on how well she skied at Soelden... I wasn't sure how she usually fared in SL. Looking it up now, she hasn't skied SL since Cortina in 2019, but has had several good GS results (and the win in Soelden).

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
C6672DF3-F474-4C78-A281-045CCFFEEE94.jpeg

Shiffrin
Vlhova
Holdener

Probably the wrong move not to pick Liensberger but if Holdener cleans up the pitch she should beat her. Gisin wants it sooo bad & look at Mair going 3rd.

The Bassino pick was purely based on how well she skied at Soelden... I wasn't sure how she usually fared in SL. Looking it up now, she hasn't skied SL since Cortina in 2019, but has had several good GS results (and the win in Soelden).
Bassino like Brignone has been skiing so well the past few years it’s hard to count them out of anything.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Stoked for Gisin in 2nd!!! She really held it together. It would’ve been a huge ask to top Vlhova’s aggressive charge in run 2. Bravo to both along with Liensberger with the fastest 2nd run time.

4FA69237-CAE3-4043-ACEB-DC3432EF2585.jpeg

I am certainly not qualified but Shiffrin just looked passive & unwilling or unable to shift gears. I hope this is not the beginning of the end. Anyone know if she is planning to ski in the Parallel?
Oh well, 3 U.S. skiers in the points, been awhile since that has happened.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...Shiffrin just looked passive & unwilling or unable to shift gears...
To my very untrained eye, I thought she looked fine, but had a couple of bobbled turns (for her) in the steep section where she scrubbed more speed than she usually would, and more than the the top few racers in the second run did.

I also didn't notice that Rossi swept the podium. Nice day for them.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
To my very untrained eye, I thought she looked fine, but had a couple of bobbled turns (for her) in the steep section where she scrubbed more speed than she usually would, and more than the the top few racers in the second run did.

I also didn't notice that Rossi swept the podium. Nice day for them.
Yeah, not bad skiing just not the dominance & fire we have seen from her when in similar past situations. I really expected an all or nothing 2nd run. Her stance & technique are still in first place. Hopefully I am not reading more into it than is actually there. Like I said yesterday it looks like Vlhova has stepped it up a notch.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
It's not really how she was skiing but more how she was after skiing in finish area. Not that she would be ever happy or celebrating, but last two days were more like "oh well let's do this if I really have to". At least that's how it looked on tv for me. I said few years ago already she won't be skiing like Lindsey was, and I'm still sure, she will soon figure out there's something else then just gates on the world and said bye. And it feels even more that this soon will be actually really soon. But of course I can be totally wrong :)

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier
To hear her talk after yesterday's race about finding some happiness in her skiing touched me. The skiers I love watching most are the ones smiling in their turns. (Grimaces that look happy count.)

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
To hear her talk after yesterday's race about finding some happiness in her skiing touched me. The skiers I love watching most are the ones smiling in their turns. (Grimaces that look happy count.)
I always like it when I see someone finish like a full second behind, and I think "oh, that wasn't very close". Then they start whooping and smiling, and I realize it's someone who's never had a high finish before (or wasn't expecting it) and is ecstatic with the result. Makes me smile every time.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online