• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Women’s World Cup 2021

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@James original interview is here https://www.corriere.it/sport/21_ma...ta-f0ac66ca-8bae-11eb-9bf5-145cd1352910.shtml
Not sure if that's all or if there was something more in printed edition, but this was reason for bad mood, but as I wrote, I have feeling it was clear before this interview was even done, that he's going... or that they won't sign new contract with him. Probably if you ask Livio it's him who decided to go, if you ask Petra or her brother, it's probably them who didn't sign his contract for another year. What's true is actually pretty irrelevant.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well here’s a google translation that’s pretty poor but at least something

————————————-
Livio Magoni: "Vlhova like Atalanta against the big teams. Too bad he doesn't have a head "

The Bergamo coach of the winner of the World Cup, former d.t. of Italy, defines himself as the Snow Gasp and does not spare his pupil criticism: "Petra could do much more. But compared to diamonds like Bassino, Brignone and Goggia you are an iron ... "

And now call me the Gasperini of skiing… ». Livio Magoni laughs heartily, linking Bergamo's pride to an idea: "Petra Vlhova, whom I led to the conquest of the World Cup, reminds me of Atalanta's exploits against the great football players." In Slovakia crazed with joy, which has found the female equivalent of an idol such as Peter Sagan, they have prepared a train: "We will tour the country, we will share the triumph". And it is this explosion of affection that confronts the Snow Gasp with the hardest choice: to continue or not? A tough question also because the champion forged in a few years has some defects.

Magoni, are you closer to leaving or staying?
“Now I'm confused. It would be time to say goodbye, this victory is a milestone. But when I see adults and children asking me for my autograph, that's it, I think I would betray these people. There will be news in the team, but my position is solid. I will decide shortly ».

Do you, who trained both of them, choose Petra or Tina Maze?
«Tina: she is more complete, even in the non-sporting part. As an athlete you have yourself and free time. On this front, Petra does not exist ».
Will she be able to grow?
"No, she doesn't have it in her DNA. Indeed, she can only get worse ...: if I don't continue it will be for this reason. Maze was a wild animal and Vlhova is too: but the former understood what it takes to become a character and she adapted, the latter did not. "

What are you missing?
«A lot, even on the part of the family and the manager. The right word, no offense, is: ignorance. And there you can't do anything about it ».
But doesn't Petra react?
“She lowers her head and says it works like this. The problem is not her, but her entourage: if you get engaged with Vlhova, you get engaged with the whole family ».

There is talk of the "Magoni method". Can you explain it to us?
"The" machine "must be prepared in the summer according to the objectives. This season the priority was the absolute World Cup. I explained to Petra that she would have to participate in all disciplines and that there would be little time to train in the winter. You competed in a marathon and won it ".

But if they hadn't canceled the fast races of the finals, Gut-Behrami would have undermined her.
"True, but Petra's lead was solid and Lara had only her descent as a distinctly favorable evidence."
She's too tough, she tells herself.
“Many coaches are adapting to my criteria. With talent alone you will also make good races, but to be like a Maze you have to exaggerate with the work ».
You always talk about Tina, it seems that Vlhova is a lazzarona ...
"Never said that. Petra is very strong, but she has a problem: when her head doesn't turn in the right way, you have to intervene, otherwise she throws everything up. She is like a roe deer: if you make a mistake in approaching him, she runs away ".
What can Petra add to the repertoire?
“We are at a normal level for you. You can do infinitely more, also looking at young people because here it is like electronics and novelties bring ideas ".

Italy, apart from the lower than expected Brignone, had a positive season. You were manager from 2013 to 2015, but there was no such competitiveness. What has changed?
"What was supposed to happen has happened: if you have talent and work without mistakes, progression is normal."

Will the magical period last?
“For at least four years. Italy with Bassino, Brignone and Goggia has three diamonds: if they are not wrong, they can only go fast. Petra compared to those diamonds is an iron. Maybe it's hyper-technological, but it's still an iron ».
Could the blue door one day reopen?
"No. Closed chapter. I am not accepted by the current federation, but also by the environment, by colleagues and by skimen ".
—————————

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Yep, we’ll likely see more announcements as time goes on.
We’ve already had Tommy BZ, Ligety, and Rezi retire.....though Tommy and Rezi are racing at Nationals.
Lots of conversation about Tommy Ford’s recovery. He is Laurenne’s BF. Would not shock the ski world if he were to retire. Presume that hinges on his health.
Steven Nyman is recovering...again...and it seems like every time he wrecks and has surgery, the talk is that this might be it. I bet that he hangs in through this 2022 Olympic year, as will Ganong. Then I think we see two retirements. Maybe not Ganong. has to be that the income is not work the "rest."

We’ll see. Could be more. This is going to be a VERY strange year for USST nominations and selections. No NorAm’s for example. Going by objective criteria might be very difficult. Will we see cuts? Normally we do.

Always something. Team is getting younger.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online