• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Women’s World Cup 2021

James

Out There
Instructor
If they were smart, they would’ve allowed fans to cheer online and make noise over speakers. Like mlb did.
But given they’ve flailed on the testing, which is far more important, I wouldn’t expect it.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Question re: Accuracy of the instant testing , is it inherent in the test, or sloppy administration, or bit of both?

It's inherent in the test, though sloppy testing protocols can also carry some blame. The antigen test has great accuracy if a person is at or near peak viral load, but it's much more hit-or-miss if a person has a lower load (especially before peak infection). This is where the false positive or false negative becomes more likely.

The antigen test can also be thrown off by the presence of other viruses or other bodily secretions. That said, the antigen tests are being improved and may well become far more accurate over time.

Best practice is to back up a positive antigen test with a PCR test, which is the more accurate test (but less expedient in terms of results).

(FYI, the explanation from UC Davis is clear and provided guidance for this answer.)

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Good to hear Mowinckel is returning, thought we would see her at Solden.
I wonder how many of the GS tech skiers we will see. Vlhova, Brignone, Bassino etc.?
Looking for a good race from Gut-Berahmi.

Looking like weather may be a factor :(

Last edited:

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hopefully the weather won’t force cancellation. I will be interested to see how Alice Robinson does, starting with bib 46. Starting so late might not make it onto the TV broadcast.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
St Morits SG cancelled today. See if they can get the course up and running for tomorrow.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, if snow keeps falling the likelihood of Sunday's race is low. Such is the life of modern World Cup racing where the surface is expected to be flawless (yes, this is a mild grouse - the old folks on the board remember when WC events were sometimes contested on soft surfaces).

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
It looks like they called both races

1607189680519.png

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yup tomorrow's race is also canceled. Too much snow and to high avi danger obviously.
FIS sms:
Info St. Moritz:
Because of the high danger of avalanches due to snow precipitation throughout the Engadine, WSL Institute for Snow and Avalanche research SLF of Davos has decided to close the ski areas in the Upper Engadine and thus also St. Moritz ski area.
As a result of this decision, tomorrow (6th December 2020) women’s Audi FIS Ski World Cup super g race in St. Moritz (SUI) has been cancelled.

Info St. Moritz (Errata corrects):
WSL Institute for Snow and Avalanche research SLF of Davos has alerted the Upper Engadine to the high danger of avalanches due to the ongoing snow precipitation.
Due to the high level of danger in the mountain area, St. Moritz ski area has decided to close the access.
As a result of this decision, tomorrow (6th December 2020) women’s Audi FIS Ski World Cup super g race in St. Moritz (SUI) has been cancelled.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
4A97BADD-0E08-4D16-A972-8A23AA67FCAA.jpeg

Shiffrin
Bassino
Brunner
(because I like their skiing best)

Vlhova, Brignone & Robinson (starting 3rd) may be smarter choices but I never claimed to be smart ogwink .

I will also be rooting for Gisin, O’Brien & Mowinkel.

Moltzan starting 61st!?!

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
View attachment 117390
Shiffrin
Bassino
Brunner
(because I like their skiing best)

Vlhova, Brignone & Robinson (starting 3rd) may be smarter choices but I never claimed to be smart ogwink .

I will also be rooting for Gisin, O’Brien & Mowinkel.

Moltzan starting 61st!?!
Moltzan moved up from Soelden though (I think). Would be awesome for her to get a second run.

Excited for Ragmo's return.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Moltzan moved up from Soelden though (I think). Would be awesome for her to get a second run.

Excited for Ragmo's return.
That's what I would've though too & her 2nd in the PGS.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Parallel is a separate discipline now, so the PGS result won't affect GS start order.

Moltzan is 36th on the GS WCSL, and 13 points behind the 30th-placed skier (Brem). https://www.fis-ski.com/DB/alpine-s...SL&disciplinecode=GS&gendercode=W&nationcode=

Unfortunately for her, she is 114th in GS on the most recent FIS points list, so ...
Of course, looking at the start order, Tilley is starting 30 (33 on the WCSL), because Rebensburg (11th on WCSL) has retired, Clara Direz (21 on WCSL) is delaying the start of her season due to a pulmonary embolism, and Andrea Ellenberger (22 on WCSL) is not racing after tearing her ACL this week. So really, the target is Tilley, who is 7 points (and 3 places) ahead of Moltzan on WCSL.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Crap. Has to go forth and back between 2nd run in Courchevel and Women’s biathlon relay.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not for sunshine skiers today. Good surface that held pretty good and 1st set premiered a little longer pressure, 2nd a little straighter which a few over skied. Both rythmical. Refraining feom results til you yanks had a chance to look.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January